Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 9 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 9 ~

Shoes for Henry…Congress Street…Steve…Safe at Schlung’s.

Yesterday was amazing. And today would be the same. The first two nights in Austin, I had the luxury of sleeping in a bed with Molly’s wise persistence, though last night, I wanted to sleep in my truck. Yes, you heard me correct: The backseat of my truck was preferred over a real bed. It’s something that isn’t hard to explain, rather it’s hard for people to understand. The freedom, the unknown, the minimalism, the survival aspect… it’s all woven together to form the adventure of living in one’s vehicle.

I was eager and excited to be back in Tumbler last night. Plugged a Walmart into my GPS and drove there after my beautiful time downtown. I wrote, my phone calls and went into the store to buy Singing Henry new shoes (his were falling apart) and buy Mark Anthony a new backpack that I filled with essentials as well as two sketch pads, Sharpies, and colored pencils. Back at Tumbler, I wrote late into the night. At 1am, I saw red and blue lights pull behind me. The cop car then pulled at an angle by my driver’s side window. I knew what was going to happen… they were kicking people out of the parking lot. The cop was really cool, unlike several who have told me to move along from other lots. I thanked him for being nice and he told me that there’s no need to be rude and he was trying to encourage the other cops he worked with to use the same kindness he displayed. He told me there was a Walmart 5 miles away that was a 24-hour lot. And so, I drove there and continued writing till 3am.

Woke up at 10am and took my time getting ready for the day. A guy knocked on my window and I rolled it down. “Ma’am, could you spare a dollar or two?” --- “Hey Buddy. What do you need the money for?” --- “Honestly ma’am, I’m not gonna lie. You look like the type that I can just give ya a straight answer. I need the money for my next hit.” --- “Thanks for telling me the truth, man. I’m Katie. What is your name?” --- “Gescow, but most people call me G.” We talked for a about 5min. and I learned a lot in those few minutes about G, his addiction, and his wanting to kick it someday, but not today. I didn’t give him money, but gave him two of the brownies Lisa had given me, some granola bars, and a rock with “Faith” on it. I reached through the window to hug G. Often, people ask for one thing, but really need something else. Love… right where they are in their journey.


At noon, I was downtown Austin and went straight to the Arch. Didn’t go inside today, but walked around the perimeter of the building amidst the sea of sad people. Gave nods and made eyes contact with many but kept my head down most of the time. If I wasn’t “undercover homeless” I wouldn’t have received one nod in return, but for sure, everyone would have been making eye contact with me. Like all cultures, classes, and collections of people, there is a certain level of acceptance towards those who are similar and a certain level of exclusion towards those who are different. I wish that we humans weren’t like this, but it is often how it is. The reasons and purpose of the “undercover homeless” will be elaborated on more in future writings. For now, I will simply give two reasons: 1) It gives me the ability to be similar… on the same level as those on the streets. They can feel safe around me. And they share more of their story with me because I understand (this understanding is not part of the disguise, for I have lived on the streets) and 2) It gives me the ability to see, firsthand, how other people who have houses and money respond to me. Most people won’t even acknowledge a homeless person and often ignore or avoid them. I would experience this today.

Away from the Arch, I saw Singing Henry sitting on the same steps that led to nowhere. Oh, how I wish he would take actual steps towards something that took him somewhere. Walking towards him, he yelled, “Hey Katie! Was hoping to see you again. How did you sleep last night?” --- “Henry! I slept pretty good. Good to see you, brother.” We hugged and I sat down next to him. “See you found yourself a skateboard there.” --- “Yeah, now I just need to learn how to ride it.” I reached into my backpack and pulled out the new grey and white shoes. “Got these for you.” --- “Dang girl, those are for me? I needed some new shoes. Thanks!” We talked for a while and then the drug dealer from yesterday came walking over to us. His mood was, well, moody. I pulled out a cig for Henry and me, then offered one to the gruff guy. “I don’t need nothing from you, unless you can get me more money. Money is everything.” He had pulled out a wad of $20’s, $10’s and $5’s from his customers transactions. “See this hear (waving the bills). This is my god.” My reply was soft-spoken, “It is said that we cannot have 2 masters. We will either love God or love money.” This did not bode well with him. Henry sat in silence as the dealer and I went back and forth about god vs. God, our definitions of prosperity, the difference between worldly happiness and lasting joy. It was intense, though not argumentative. At first, he was loud and making proclamations, which I would listen to and then ask question that actually had statements in them. His tone calmed down as we conversed and his anger lessened. I challenged him and he challenged me. Deep conversations are like a savory meal, leaving me full and with much to digest. It was time to move on from Singing Henry and the dealer whose pockets were full of money, yet his heart was empty of joy.

It was 1pm and I was hoping to merge paths with Mark Anthony for another elevated hug and to give him the backpack full of art supplies. Walked around for a long time and didn’t see him. I would go to the outskirts of downtown Austin another day to look for him. Mark had made me a map on a 12”x20” piece of paper on which he drew directions to his sleeping spot. He told me that if he wasn’t downtown, that this would be where I could find him. Really hope to see my new buddy again.

Went back to the parking lot where Tumbler was. I was at the driver’s side door crouched down by my pack and about to pull out my keys when a guy walked up on me. Scared the dickens out of me, for I didn’t see or hear him till he was right next to me. We get pretty good at learning how to be quiet and unseen when on the streets. “Hey, sorry if I scared you. Was wondering if you wanted to trade me this bus ticket for a couple bucks.” This trading system is very common on the streets. “I’m saving my dollars for some food later, but I have something for you anyway.” Pulled out my bag of pebbles and let him pull one. It said, “Be Brave”. His name was Howea. After talking a bit about being brave amidst the struggles in this big city, we hugged and he walked away. While passing the front of my truck, he said, “Dang, look at all those sunglasses and those big goggles in the windshield! That person has a thing for bright colors.” --- “Wow! They sure do!” When Howea was out of sight, I hopped in that truck he didn’t know belonged to me.

Walked around town till a beautiful and busy street flicked my antennas. This was Congress Street. Felt it was a good area to sit down and write on my rocks. I set up my pre-scribed rocks on my green hanker chief and lined up my Sharpie markers next to them. I sat on my adopted skateboard and scribed rocks for the next hour and a half. Not one person stopped to take a rock or stopped to take a closer look at the girl writing on rocks. Not one person made eyes contact for more than 1 second, no one said hello, nodded at me, and all but 5 people didn’t even acknowledge that I was sitting there less than 5ft away from where they walked. This is part of the said 2cd reason why I like being “undercover homeless” for it is fascinating (and sad) to me how people react and respond to those who are homeless. For the few who do stop and squat down to talk to me (this would happen over the next few days), I always thank them at the end of our conversation for having the unique heart to acknowledge me, then thank them for taking the time to go beyond seeing me and to speak to me. I realize there are many reasons why most do not want to engage with those on the streets. Will talk about this in a later post. This paragraph is to portray awareness, rather than guilt. There are many, many people in the world whose eyes and heart are open to those who go unseen or unnoticed. It is often rare to be aware beyond your own square.


I packed up my backpack, flipped the skateboard into my hand, and headed back to “Dirty 6th”. At least there, some of my own “tribe” would be acknowledging. And that they were. My new family members traded nods, smiles, high fives, fist pumps, hugs, and words. Went into a souvenir store to look at their collection of shoes… which consisted of 15 pairs of men’s shoes in large sizes. Was looking for a small shoe for a tiny lady I saw yesterday who had only one shoe on. A man walked in the store to buy a drink. He overheard me asking the owner if there were other stores that would have a larger selection of shoes. The juice man told me not to bother looking at the store. The two of us walked outside continued our conversation. His name was Steve. He lives in Austin though is originally from New York. I gathered from his sharing that Steve doesn’t live on the streets, though he hangs out with those on the streets. Similar to me, though very different. Steve was still involved in most of the activities that come with living on the streets. He had a truck and offered to take me to a Walmart and even buy the shoes for me. It was cool to talk with Steve, but I had an unsettling feeling about hopping in a truck with him. Thanked him for the offer but declined. Gave him a “Smile” rock and told him to pass it on to someone who needed to smile. “I’m keeping this rock. I am the one who needs to smile more.”

Back at Tumbler’s door, it was 4pm. Needed to get on the road to make it to my friend, Elaine’s house by 5pm. Traffic is crazy here in Austin, especially during the long rush hour. Was about to start the engine, when I saw a man sitting on a ledge across the lot. He looked sad and lost in his thoughts. I wondered who or what he was thinking about that brought so much sadness. Pulled out my keys from the ignition and opened the back hatch to grab some granola bars and a pair of socks. Went over to the guy whose name was Troy. He was a quiet man who whispered his words. Troy told me that he slept in the alley here and had 2 squirrels that visited him every morning. Animals are such faithful friends. I would see Troy again the next 2 days.

Traffic was, indeed, bad. I got to my friend’s house at 5:30 and her whole family came at 6pm to feast on pizza. The fellowship with true, authentic Christians was more filling than the pizza. The Schlung’s are full of love for others and love for Jesus. I slept peacefully in their home that night. I would spend most of tomorrow with Elaine, whose friendship I cherish.

Sometimes
The greatest gift
Is to see someone.

Unshakeable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock


Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: