Saturday, January 20, 2018

Day 12 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 12 ~

Church Under the Bridge…Reclaimed Skateboard…Sarah…Schlung Haven…Guarded.

I went to bed in the backseat of Tumbler at 3am Saturday night and set my alarm for 7am. Many of my new brothers had told me about “Church Under the Bridge” at 8am Sunday morning. Still physically and emotionally tired from the busy night on Dirty 6th, I parked downtown and grabbed my backpack and skateboard. Headed to the I-35 overpass bridge on 7th St. We were all early for “church” but there were already around 50 of us there. More kept coming as time went by. Seeing a few people I knew, but wanting to acclimate alone, I found a cement pillar and sat down on the skateboard. My sleepy gaze was straight but my peripheral vision saw a guy running towards me from the right. As he got closer, this dude started swearing and yelling… soon realizing his words were directed at me. I won’t repeat all the words. When he was next to me, he said (without the every other word expletive), “*** Give me back my *** board, you *** ***!!! You *** stole it from me ***!!!”” I was starting to stand up to give him the skateboard I had no doubt did belong to him, when he reached down and yanked it from under me. More swearing at me as he stomped off, I sat back down and pulled my backpack close between my knees. The scene that drew stares from everyone around was now over and the people went back to doing nothing. Then my buddy Baltimore, a friend I had gotten to know over the last week, came over to check on me. “Did that punk disrespect you, Katie? If he did, I’m going bum rush him.” --- “It’s okay, bro. I didn’t steal his board. He got t=it back now. Just let it be.” Baltimore, one of my many protectors, wasn’t going to let it be. He went over and gave the guy a good verbal pounding which I wish he hadn’t done.

After a few minutes, my friend, Slim waved me over to where he was sitting with some other guys. I met Slim the first day on 6th and he is tall and not slim. He is someone who I love to give hugs to and he got a huge one right there and then. Then Baltimore came over stood behind me and Popeye came and sat on the other side of me. Eddie, a drug dealer who used more than he dealt, gave me a hug and paced around us. My brothers surrounding me, I let out a deep sigh and smiled at each of them, which a smile and nod they returned to me. Slim leaned over to me and said, “You’re okay, Daisy May.” This was the street name he gave me several days ago and how he introduced me to his friends in the 10 days I was Austin.


I stayed at the “Church Under the Bridge” for the next 2 hours. There was no building, no singing, no sermon. Instead, there was a parking lot under a bridge, tables with food and clothing, and people that would walk around handing out essentials. I wanting to talk with the servant-hearted, compassionate people who had come to put on this “church”, but I mainly stayed by my brothers. The guy with his reclaimed skateboard was seen across the lot, and I felt compelled to walk over to him. He took a few steps back as I approached him, so I put my arms out with peace signs at each end. “Hey man, I didn’t steal your skateboard. I waited 10 mins before picking it up. Just wanted to apologize and make peace with you if you’ll forgive me.” I then pulled out a rock with a heart on it that said, “Love Rocks” on the sides. He took it and read it. “It’s all good, girl. Sorry I came up on you like that. We’re cool.” We hugged. We made peace. We were cool. His name was Jeremy.


Before leaving the bridge, I saw a girl around my age who was part of the first outreach team that had arrived. Went over to where she was sitting and asked if we could sit in private for bit. I had noticed her distinctly when she walked under the bridge. It was a Holy Spirit nudge to talk with her when the time came. The time was now and we talked for about 20min. Her name is Sarah and she is from New Orleans, but came to Austin to volunteer for “Mobile Loaves and Fishes.” This (MLF) organization is amazing and it wouldn’t be my first encounter with them. I told Sarah the truth about me being in Austin and at first, she seemed hesitant if it was the truth, but the more we talked, the more it seemed she believed me. I felt kindred to Sarah and connected to her in that we were doing the same thing (loving on the homeless) but in different ways. Sarah left her architectural job and her boyfriend to come to Austin. MLF has a 27-acre property called Community First that houses and supports homeless people in Austin and other areas of central Texas. Sarah is going to live on the property for 3 months and immerse herself in that community. “I’m stepping out of my comfort zone and stepping out in faith. This is a God-move.” I gave her a “Hope” rock and my card so we can stay connected. Sarah has a beautiful heart that loves the beautiful people on the streets.

My friend, Elaine, had invited me to her church as well this morning. I had lost track of time at church under the bridge and was running late to church in a building. Was still being fueled by the adrenaline of having spent such a concentrated amount of time on the streets yesterday and then this morning. The drive to the outskirts of Austin was a blur and I got lost trying to find Life Church. Finally seeing the property, I pulled in and just sat in my truck, my body present, though my heart and mind still downtown. The service was almost over when I finally walked in and found a seat in the back row. After the last song was over, the congregation got up and Elaine saw me. We hugged and I could have stayed in that embrace a long time. I was exhausted… in every way.

Elaine invited me back to her and Mike’s abode. We ate lunch that comprised of delicious dinner food. Sensing I needed some down time by myself in a safe, quiet place, Elaine and Mike spent time together around their house and I went upstairs to write and relax. For 3-4 hours, my mind caught up with my body. It’s been interesting to be so deeply undercover homeless on the streets and then to be with friends at a real house. It’s similar to a pinball machine… going from one environment to another. In a sense, it’s cross-cultural. Stark differences. The hardest part of Austin had been that I have grown so close to many of the guys on the streets. Like really close. I carry them around in my heart and grieve for them. My emotions are kept at bay while with them, but when I’m away from them, the emotions resurface with higher intensity. Laying on the soft upstairs bed, I felt heavy, disassociated, and just plain off. It was hard to be still, though that was what was needed.

When I walked into the Schlung’s house that afternoon, I only brought in my backpack, but in actuality, I was bringing in a lot more baggage than that. Elaine saw those invisible bags. When I ambled down the stairs, she was sitting on the couch and I joined her on an adjacent one. We talked for a long time about the past, the present and the future. Chapters from both of our life-stories were shared. I was able to unpack some of the emotional baggage that was weighing me down. It was around 6:30 when a familiar urge came over me… to bolt and let the pinball machine catapult me back to the streets. Told Elaine I needed a cigarette and then would be leaving. She told me I was welcome to stay, but the urge to leave was strong. Though it was my flesh that wanted to go, not the Spirit leading me to leave. Big difference! Went out to sit in Tumbler and it was there that the Spirit spoke in an almost audible voice, “Do not leave. Stay here. Guard yourself from going too deep. Know when to pull out.” I was talking out loud to Him and we went back and forth with the near argument. He kept repeating to stay here and stay guarded. I finally relented. Walked back inside with my pillow and overnight bag. Met Elaine in the living room and told her what the Holy Spirit had told me regarding to be guarded. Tears built up in her eyes and she said, “Katie, all day, I have been hearing the Spirit say that you need to ‘be guarded.’” Friends, that is what you call confirmation. I stayed at the Shlung’s safe haven that night and would learn more about “being guarded” and listening to the sovereign voice of the Spirit of when to go deep and when to pull out in the next two days.

Sometimes you can do more by doing less.

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock

 Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: