Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 10 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 10 ~           

Bed and Breakfast…Elaine…Charlie the Cat…Tacos and cookies.

It was so good to be at Mike and Elaine’s abode. Their house and their hearts are warm, like the light-yellow walls and bright, colorful decoration that lace their home. I had stayed up till 3am writing and sitting with the extra emotions that came from that day. Slept in till 10:30am and wandered downstairs. My typically breakfast on the road is a banana or one of my mom’s peanut balls (she had given me a large container of these protein-packed golf balls). But at the Schlung’s Bed and Breakfast home, 3 eggs and 2 pieces of toast stretched my stomach’s capacity. Elaine had the same, minus 1 egg. Our bellies full, we migrated to her living room couches. A small load of my soiled clothes was swishing in the background as we ebbed and flowed in a deep couch conversation for the next 2 hours.

Elaine is someone who has been a been a steady source of unconditional love, unsinkable hope, and unshakeable faith. She is my mom’s friend. She is my friend. The two are accepted and separated. Elaine, like my mom, is youthful in her beauty and youthful in her personality. I see her mainly as a trusted friend as well as partially another mom. Our families went to the same church when they lived in Illinois and our families have stayed connected during their 7 years in Texas. During my 15 years in drug addiction, Elaine was a listening ear for my mom and a shoulder to lean on for me. She has remained these things to this day. Elaine has her own story and her experiences have shaped her into a loving, strong, fun, compassionate, and empathizing woman. She is a Christian who lives out her love for Jesus with her love for people. Elaine loves people… genuine, deep love. I will write more about her in another post as this would not be our last time together while in Austin.

The 2 of us spent the remainder of the afternoon together. We finally got off the cozy couches and drove to her church where Elaine works as the pastor’s secretary, though she is so much more involved and influential than mere paperwork and schedules… her roles are expansive. Life Church is so fortunate to have Elaine’s intelligent mind, helpful hands, and tender heart. Elaine showed me the inside of the building and then we walked around the multiple acre property where other buildings are going to be built. Life church is vibrantly growing. Pastor Brian has been entrusted much and is being used mightily by God to equip people to go and “be the church” outside of the church building. This church and the people therein, have a deep relationship with our Savior, rather than a shallow religion.

It was 2:30 and we decided to grab something to eat at Whole Foods. We sat on the picnic benches, eating, and continued our conversation for another hour. It is so easy to talk with Elaine. We can cover a plethora of topics and go deep into each one. She and I both have analytical minds and love asking questions. When 2 people with this combination get together, the conversations last hours without realization of the time. Such was the case with this woman of faith and love.

We got back to her house and I put my backpack and clean laundry in Tumbler. I needed to be on the road by 5:30 to meet Molly for dinner at 6:30. Hugged Elaine and her wise, kind husband Mike and hopped in Tumbler. Was prepared to encounter heavy traffic to get to Taco Flats where Molly had chosen to eat. The roads were surprisingly flowing smoothly and I arrived at the restaurant 20min early. The parking lot was full, so I parked across the busy 4-lane road in the darker side of a “customer’s only, all violators will be towed” building. This early arrival and parking spot was another set-up by the Holy Spirit. Was going to draw on some rocks while I waited, but saw a small moving object near a building across from me. It was a cat! I love cats. Got out of the truck to see if I could catch the tiny tiger. Then another moving object was seen in the shadows… it was a person. Her name was Ella. She lived on the streets and the cat, Charlie, belonged to her. Ella and I talked for 15min about Charlie the cat, her time on the streets, and how she had learned to transition from living in an apartment with a job to surviving and trying to stay alive on the streets. The 2 years of being homeless had taken its toll on her body and her mind. I gathered that many traumatic things had happened to her. My own wounds pulsated at sensing Ella had some of the same wounds. Ella would smile as she shared things, yet her eyes shared sadness and waywardness. I was stroking Charlies fur while we talked and Ella said that he normally was not a friendly cat to strangers. Ella was given a “Love” rock. When I told heard I needed to meet someone, she fell into my arms as if we were no longer strangers that had just met, rather sisters who were parting ways. I held her for a long time. She didn’t want to let go and I wanted to take some of her pain as I held her. Ella was a wounded soul and my heart grieved for her. I’m tearing up while writing this. Told her I would come back in a couple hours. She didn’t believe me.

Molly and her friend Karen met me in the lobby and we found the table where their friend, Lucie, was waiting. It was Molly’s birthday tomorrow and I had bought a dozen roses at Whole Foods earlier that day. Had brought in 2 roses for Molly, one for our past chapters and one for our present chapter of friendship. Decided to give one to Karen, and wished I had brought in 3 so Lucie could have been given one too. The women were close friends and had shared several chapters in their life-story together. They welcomed me in to their closeness. We each ordered chips/salsa and 2 tacos and ate, drank, and talked for the next 2 hours. I miss Molly living in Illinois, but I’m so glad she now lives in Texas where there are bike trails galore and beautiful friends to ride with on those trails as well as on her journey’s path.


While inside Taco Flats, Ella’s face was in the peripheral vision of my mind’s eye. I was present with Molly and her two friends, though I had taken part of Ella with me into the restaurant. When the three strong, beautiful women and I parted paths, I wanted to go back to the fragile, beautiful women who made her new home in the shadows. Stopped at Tumbler to grab a quart-sized bag of home-made cookies that Elaine had given me. Walked over to the elevated cement stoop attached to the building. Five guys were sitting on blankets and Charlie the cat came over to greet me. “Hey guys. I’m a friend of Ella’s. Is she around?” In unison, guys pointed 10ft away past a pile of bags. Ella was curled up under two dirty blankets in the fetal position. I told the guys not to wake her, but they had started yelling at her to wake up and one guy went over to her and nudged Ella with his foot. She bolted up and yelled “No!” as when a bad dream wakes us up. The guy standing over her pointed at me and Ella ran over into my arms. “Told you I would come back.” --- “I told these guys about you and how Charlie loved you. I didn’t think I would see you again.” She introduced me to each of them and then threw her arms back around me. I talked with the guys while Ella just stayed in this perpetual hug. I’m smiling as I write this. Gently pushing her back, I placed the bag of cookies in her hands. She pulled out the “Love” rock from her pocket and smiled. “You are loved, sweet Ella.” I walked away from her late that night, yet am still carrying parts of Ella in my heart today.

We can love a stranger for a night.
Never to see them again,
Yet forever changed.

Unshakeable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock
Psalm 18:1-2




No comments: