Monday, January 8, 2018

Day 6 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 6 ~

Essentials…Walkabout…KC Crossing…Austin…Clean and Warm.

It was cold when I went to bed the night before. Talked to my brother, Jeremy, shortly after midnight to welcome 2018. Jeremy and I have talked every night on this journey and he is a huge source of encouragement, humor, and unconditional love. We are siblings, though we are also very tight friends. The temperatures had dropped even lower during the night. Woke up around 5am and found myself in the fetal position in the middle of my sleeping bag… like a malfunction of stuffing sausage with a casing machine. Had to open the zipper all the way down to free myself. My hands and feet were painfully cold. Found my keys and hopped into the front seat to wake Tumbler from his own slumber. Cranked the fan to high and though it was kicking out cold air, knew it would get warmer soon, so I dove back in the backseat into my sleeping bag. Laid there shivering for 10min and wanted to wait another 15min and then shut the truck off. I woke up 2 hours later drenched in sweat. Tumbler had been faithful in pumping out heat for his human who was now like a sausage being cooked in a steamer. Once again, unzipped the zipper, dove into the front and rolled down all the windows. It was still cold outside and I stuck my sweaty head out the window. It was 6am and I was still tired from yesterday and went back to sleep hoping there would be no more bipolar temperature incidents.

It was January 1st, 2018 but it was simply a gift of another day. Birthdays and New Year’s don’t peek my excitement. They are cool and all, but I try to love all the days in between. What if we humans made resolutions every night and the next morning we put action behind those good intentions. Daily resolutions have the potential to become a revolution in one’s life. And as those who know me well, one of my mottos is “live today as if it could be your last”. Therefore, while it is now 2018, some of us won’t see January 5th. May you and I live with whole-hearted passion as if today was both the first page and the last page of our life-story.

This is what was on my heart and mind as I woke up and went into the hotel lobby (aka Walmart store). Washed the hands and teeth. Hoping to find KC again today, I wanted to get him a new backpack and fill it with essentials. This is an interesting word, for it means different things to different people. To many, it means our favorite clothes, make-up, garage tools, a smart phone, vehicle, our go-to food, computer device, and a house. To those like KC, most of those are not on this list of essentials. In the backpack, things like a blanket, deodorant, wet wipes, a flashlight, lighters, chap stick, thick socks, and a journal were packed with love for my new friend. Indeed, he would be found later in the afternoon, though first some writing needed to be done for a couple hours. These posts are written with both ease and difficulty. Ease in recalling the experiences that are freshly etched on my heart/mind. Difficult in that they are emotionally potent and my heart/mind often has to sift through past memories the present experiences bring to the surface.


Felt a peace about going back to the same parking lot by 7-Eleven from yesterday and the same #88 was plugged into the pay-to-park station. Scribed a few fresh rocks that joined the others in my backpack. Slinging it over my shoulders, I hit the streets… for the next 2 hours. Talked to a few street dwelling peeps and though a couple of them asked me to stop and hang out with them, I gave them Hot Hands hand warmers (bought a boatload of them that morning) and felt led to keep walking. Those who live on the streets are often very sharing. I have received so many things along the way from those who have the least. Being that I was a “sister on the street” to their eyes, when I would pull out the hand warmers, would tell them, “Hey I just scored these, so here ya go, buddy.” I have a large collection of necklaces, wooden carvings, drawings, small charms, random trinkets that have been given to me by my street family on this trip as well as when I actually was living on the streets. It’s an incredibly beautiful display of what the word community should mean… coming together to help one another.  

KC had told me where his sleeping spot was located and I headed to the area in hopes of finding him. Did a few laps around the block but didn’t see him. A guy who was visibly drunk was trying to balance himself against a guardrail and I walked over to him. “Hey, you know KC? Tall, handsome, lives behind that restaurant?” I asked pointing across the street. “Yeaaaah, heeee aaaint heeeere.” he said with a slurred Dallas drawl. “Cool man. Could you tell him Katie was here looking for him? Jesus loves you, bro. You can take your pain to Him and He will help you find your balance.” This guy came to a full alertness and looked me square in the eye like he was stone-cold sober. “Yes ma’am” said with clarity. Wanted to give him a rock, but gave him a hand warmer and fist bump instead. Prayed for him while walking away. I’ve been where he was.

My last resort to finding KC was to text him. Now some of you may be thinking, “Well, why didn’t you just do that in the first place!” There are 2 reasons why: 1) I like the adventure of finding people the long way and 2) Didn’t want to waste time on KC’s boost phone. Sent him a short text that I was downtown and by his spot. No reply for the next 20min, I kept walking. Ended up back at the same Subway from yesterday and went in to use the bathroom and grab a foot-long. The same guy from yesterday was working there today. Yesterday, he had been really cool to me as we chatted about him giving up bread 3 months ago (even though he works at a sandwich shop) and how he liked this new change in diet. He hadn’t even charged me for the extra cheese yesterday seeing that I was eating with Howard and we both were hungry. Today, he had a friend in the shop who was hanging out with him during a slow time at Subway. This once friendly, cool guy had turned unfriendly and uncool towards me. Acted like he had never seen me nor had a conversation with me. Interesting how people change when around someone else. No bother to me though and I made a mental note to be mindful of this in my own behavior. Thanked him for the sandwich and walked out. Checked my phone and saw that KC had sent a text… “I’m back at my spot. You still around?” --- “I’m on the other side of town. Want to meet at my truck by 7-Eleven. Got something for you.” --- “Yes! Headed that way.”

It was 4pm when we merged paths at Tumbler and KC had rolled up on a rent-a-bike that had stayed unlocked from the peddler before. We embraced for an extended time. This genuine, kind-hearted guy was easy to love. Stepping back, I said, “Hey, you got some fresh clothes on! Looking good, my friend.” --- “Yeah, I try to keep myself clean and fresh… gotta get ready for going to class at the school this year.” Years ago, KC had been in the Navy for 4 years and was using his GI Bill to start school at the college in Austin. He is signed up to take various classes that will help him start a business that he has planned out with specifics. I’m proud of him for pursuing an education as well as a dream he has growing inside his already well-educated mind. KC is a deep thinker… one of many things that we shared in common. We were now inside the truck warming up our cold hands and noses. Pulling out the foot-long sub from my backpack, he and I each started eating our 6 inches worth. With mayo and mustard in the corners of his mouth, he said, “Man, Katie, you have been really good to me and good for me. I’m so glad to be spending more time with you.” Same condiments around my mouth, “KC, you are a good man. I care about you. Even though your family has deserted you, you and I are family now. God is writing an amazing story through you. You have been allotted much pain and resistance, but you haven’t let it harden you. So many would have given up years ago, but you have stayed the course. I’m proud of you and so grateful to be your friend.” The backpack full of essentials was pulled out and placed on his lap. That wide smile emerged and he slowly pulled out each item like the treasure it truly was to him. I, too, have been given treasured essentials in my past by others, so this was merely paying it forward as I knew KC would do when his business would be built by hands that were strong yet gentle. He wanted to hire people who needed an outstretched hand as he needed now. Though I intended on sharing more early chapters of KC’s story, I am not going to write about them. His story is powerful, painful, and full of more purpose than can yet be seen. He knows this too. KC is a lover of Jesus and his faith is strong. He gives all credit of strength, perseverance, overcoming, passion to our Lord and King. I know that KC will one day write out his story as he loves to write… another common denominator we share. His beautiful eyes and lashed danced when he saw the new journal that was blank pages waiting to be filled. We talked in the warmth of Tumbler till 6pm and we hugged several times inside the truck as well as when he got out to ride off on his still-unlocked bike. But our hearts are locked tightly together as it is with kindred friends. We have been texting each one another every day since.

The Dallas mission field was left with a full heart. I was very emotional and had to be mindful of the type of music that made up the soundtrack of processing those emotions. Tumbler hit the highway with a happiness and we drove through Waco (which I might go back to) straight to Austin. My, my, my… Dallas was just an appetizer for a Golden Corral feast of what Austin would provide. It was a little after 9pm when I pulled into a Walmart to acclimate to the Austin atmosphere. I sat there for a bit and then pulled out my laptop to write. Saw a message from a close friend who now lives in Austin. She asked if I was in town and told her I’d just landed here. Told her I was staying at a Walmart parking lot tonight, and she told me to come over for a warm, safe place. It had been a week on the road without a full shower (one can only partially clean themselves in rest stop and Walmart bathrooms before people washing their hands would alert the security police of a vagrant annoyance). I was still in the same clothes that I left Suncreek Farms in and my daily dose of fragrance oils were losing the battle of aromas. Molly and I went back and forth in messaging, though when she said, “I won’t take no for an answer” I put my shoes back on and plugged in her address. When Molly says yes or no to something, she means it with every fiber of her huge heart. I trust Molly. And she knew I needed to recharge and be in a safe place with safe people. On the surface, I knew this to be true, but didn’t realize the depths of how truly this was needed. Molly was in tune to how emotionally drained I was. She is intuitive and discerning beyond the average person. She has always been able to see past my masks, walls, and lies. Will share about this tomorrow as well as the pivotal impact Molly has had on my journey.

Arrived at the handsome house around 10:45pm and Molly and I embraced in the driveway. Oh, it was so good to be here… and be with her. Pulled 2 backpacks and my pillow from Tumbler and went inside the warm house. Her friend Karen was there and when meeting her, knew she was a cool chic from the get-go. Was taken to a spare bedroom and bathroom where I showered and changed into fresh clothes. Molly, Karen and I stayed up till 2am talking about a variety of topics. Tomorrow’s post will unpack more of that night’s conversations as well as the many nights I have spent talking late into the night with Molly more than 16 years ago. This night, I was safe. I was clean. I was warm. Molly had taken me under the shelter of her wings as she had done when I was younger. I slept deep and long.

“Come to me,
all you who are weary
and burdened,
and I will give you rest.”
~ Matthew 11:28 ~

Unshakeable Peace and Purpose.
Cling to the Rock

Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: