Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 11 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 11 ~

Mona Lisa…Street Photo Shoot…Casper…Downtown Depravity.

Last night, and after pulling away from Ella, I was planning on going the 6th Street. On Fridays and Saturdays, they block off the street for 5-6 blocks so there are no cars where masses of people roam the blocks filled with bars. I wanted to experience this and hand out hugs and rocks among the sea of people. But when I was at a stoplight that would either take me right, towards downtown, or left, towards the Walmart hotel, I had a strong sense to go left. It was not easy to obey…. But I surrendered to the Spirit whose plan is always higher than my own.

Woke up to the hot beams of sunshine pouring into my truck. The weather has been getting warmer with each day in Austin. Wrote for a couple hours and then went inside Walmart to buy a pair of shoes for a tiny lady I had seen near the Arch. She had only one shoe and had layered multiple socks on her shoeless foot, the last on being a pink hospital sock with rubber grippers on the bottom. Haven’t seen her since that day, though have carried the new pair of kicks in my backpack in hopes of providing some sure-footedness to the lady whose crack addiction has visibly debauched her body and mind.

Found a new parking lot that has become a great home base when downtown. Molly told me about the high rise public parking lot by the Convention Center and it is safe, quiet, and allows me to go to my truck for intermissions without being seen by many people. Grabbed my skateboard and backpack for a long afternoon and evening on 6th Street. Today I would get the whole experience of Dirty 6th on a Saturday night. It was 2pm when I met Mona Lisa. We were both walking towards the direction of the Salvation Army next to the Arch. She had on a bright red blanket shawl with white polka dots. “I like your shawl.” --- “Thank you. I like your poncho.” --- “My name is Katie. Want to walk together for a bit?” --- “Yes, you look nice. I’m Mona Lisa.” We walked and talked about the Salvation Army where she is resident at. She had lived there for a while and liked it. Mona was around 45 years old, yet had the mind of a 10 year old. Asked if I could give her something and she nodded. A rock was placed in her hand that said, “God wants to be the anchor in your storm. If you grab hold of his outstretched hand, he will lead you through the troubled waters.” Mona Lisa read it out loud and then clutched it close to her blanket shawl. We embraced and she kept walking forward and I turned left towards 6th St. Minus an hour intermission at Tumbler, I would be on this street for the next 12 hours.

I found a cool spot to set up my rocks. It was near a piano bar that had paintings of people on the exterior cement walls. Put several of the pre-drawn rocks on a green hanker chief, laid out a row of Sharpie markers, and sat on my skateboard while drawing new rocks. Most people walked by without acknowledging me, though there were three who stopped to look at the rocks. Most rocks are given away freely, though when “have-much people” stop for a rock and ask, ”how much for the rocks”, I tell them, “if you don’t have money, you can have it for free. And if you have money, then give what you think the rock is worth to you.” Three people in those first two hours stopped (which was the gift in itself) and gave large amounts, for the rocks they chose must have been worth much to them.

The sun was shining yet it was in its last hour of bright light. A man walked by me, then came back to squat down in front of me. “I’m a photographer. I saw you from across the street and am fascinated with you. Would you mind if I take some pictures of you?” --- “That’s cool, man. --- “Are you sure? I don’t want to bother you. I want to set up my flash stands and you can just keep drawing on your rocks while I take the pictures.” --- “Yeah, I’m good with that, bro. I’ll make you a rock after this one is finished.” His name was Stephen Lewis and we spent the next 45min together. He wanted to take pictures of people walking by and ignoring the girl who wore a brightly colored poncho while drawing on rocks. It felt like a Nancy Merkling shoot as he talked about it being “all about the light” as the sun was staring to go down and he used his flash stand more frequently with the natural light fading in the horizon. When the early evening light was gone and the streetlights came on, Stephen packed up his gear minus the camera still in his hand. He came over and squatted next to me and he asked deeper questions about my story. I asked him for nuggets of his story as well. It was sweet being photographed, but it was sweeter that he wasn’t one of the majority who simply walked by with trained blinders on their eyes. Gave him a “We all have a story” rock. I am going to email Stephen Lewis soon and tell him the truth of my story as well as thank him for seeing me in the “light” of where I sat on the sidewalk.


I sat against the piano bar with my rocks till 8:30pm. During that last 2 hours, I met Casper. Could write in great length about this energetic, talkative, friendly street cat. Mainly because he would come visit me every 20min with a new idea, a place for him to take me to, or a person he wanted me to meet. Casper wanted me to be “his girl” and though persistent, he was kind about his approach. He had been on the streets for years and knew the ins and outs of the lay of Austin’s underground world. During one of his multiple visits, I needed to go use the bathroom and not wanting to pay for a meal to use a restaurant’s bathroom, Casper took me to a secret porta potty. He walked me there and told me to never come here alone. I was glad to be “his girl” for those 10min. as we approached the dark side of a building a few blocks away. This was a meth hangout and the people around the blue box toilet were paranoid of this new girl on the block until Casper put his arm around me and told them I was “his girl and cool.” I’m well acquainted with dirty porta pottys, though this one rose the #1 on the chart when I opened the door that wouldn’t lock from the inside. Saw a shadow through the crack by the paraphernalia-laced floor and hearing Casper’s voice, knew he was guarding the door. He had told me that many women get jumped and raped here. This would be the last time I used this location, with or without my bodyguard rent-a-boyfriend. I love going to the darkest places of any town (each town has one or more), though there are places that one should avoid, not because of fear, rather because the light of Jesus is not welcome in the darkness of that demon-claimed territory.

It had been almost 7 hours spent on 6th street and the streets were about to close at 9am. I was stoked about the different environment that this would produce on this mission field, but needed to take an intermission and secure my armor as well as restock my rocks. Went back to Tumbler on level 2 of the parking building. Wrote, made phone calls, and prayed in my truck for an hour and a half. When 6th was returned to, it surely had a different vibe. People had multiplied exponentially and the volume of music had been turned up. My heartbeat quickened as I went back to same piano bar spot. Set up my rocks and a few people bought ones that spoke to them in ways I listened to as they shared the huge impact of such a small object. An hour later, a man with a big black bag started setting up his “shop” next to me. He didn’t speak a word to me as he did this. It was made very clear to me with that this was “his spot.” His street name was “English” as he was from Africa and his English was good, but still somewhat a struggle. Casper had warned me about this musician who had a dummy doll as part of his act. I stayed for a while till Casper appeared out of nowhere and told me that English had given him a few bucks to get me to move from his spot. I packed up willingly and went over to apologize to English. He was kind about the intrusion, though this kindness was also an act.

My heavy pack on my back and skateboard in my arm, I walked the loud, busy street for a long time. Will keep my descriptions of Dirty 6th to a minimum, and will just say it was, indeed, dirty… alcohol excess, drug induced mania, girls wearing next-to-nothing clothing, guys making comments and gestures that the lack of clothing encouraged, bar bouncers calling people to come inside, paid women dancing in the windows of the clubs, and the jazz and country music that plays during the day now traded for heavy bass thumping get-your-drunken-groove-on music. If my description sounds judgmental, so be it. But my mind and heart was not judging the environment, rather it was grieving for it… and the people who were attracted to this depravity. I stayed on Dirty 6th till 2am that night. I met beautiful people who were slightly buzzed, completely wasted, had normal pupils, dilated pupils, wore many clothes, wore mainly skin, went home to a bed, went home to their cardboard box. I handed out more hugs than rocks that night. So many people just need a real, genuine, no-strings-attached hug… so many people. After walking around, I set up my rocks in a spot that hadn’t been claimed and people would come up to me and say, “I need a hug. You look like someone who I could get a hug from.” Or “Everyone here sucks. Can you just give me a hug?” A true hug can be a healing agent when given with pure motives. Tonight, people had come out to party, numb their pain with alcohol and drugs, have sex for pleasure or companionship, adding pain to their existing pain and loneliness to their lack of companionship. But every person out tonight has a story. And although the ones I met weren’t in the state of mind to share their story in words, many shared their need for a hug… which told me much about their story in other ways.

We are all in need of love.
Love comes in different forms.
Notice people.
Look into their eyes.
Give them the hug they need.

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock
Psalm 18:1-2




No comments: