Thursday, January 11, 2018

Day 8 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 8 ~

Slow Morning…Downtown…The Arch…Singing Henry…Mark Anthony.

Molly and I had gone to bed at midnight and wanting to see her before she left for the day, I slid off the large, soft bed at 8:30am. We talked over tall glasses of orange juice. It was so good to be in the company of a close friend. Our squinting morning eyes were wide open by the time she left for work. We embraced and this would not be the last time we would merge together in love and location while in Austin.

I spent the next 5 hours at the house with my canine friend, Flash. Wrote, made phone calls, organized my truck, prayed, gave Flash lots of massages, and made a “Hope” rock for Molly’s friend, Karen. It had been such a good thing to cave into Molly’s compelling convincing to come here to rest and recharge… such a good thing. After giving Flash some farewell love, I locked the door behind me and walked towards Tumbler. I felt rested, strong, and ready to hit the road. Might have been “slightly” overcharged in that I was hyper stoked… like those toy monkeys that clang cymbals when wound from behind. My feet were light and bouncy and if I had cymbals, I would have been clanging them. This was my first time going downtown and electronic music was blasted to match my mood during the drive.

It was 2:30 when the Tumbler did his first downtown drive thru. It was big… and busy. Karen had told me to check out “The Arch” on 7th Street as well as 6th Street, also known as “Dirty 6th.” I drove down 6th and my heart started beating faster. Wanted to park close to this part of town known for the long stretch of bars that drew in all classes and collections of people. I had some difficulty finding the right place to park. Drove around for a while before turning down the electronic music and turning up the quiet whisper of the Holy Spirit. “Where do you want me to park?” I asked out loud. I drove past parking high rises, parking lots, and even pulled into one but then drove through to come out on another street. Finally, a single lot was passes that gave off a distinct peace. This was the place to park. Paid the fee and tightened the straps on my heavy back pack. Tumbler was parked on 5th Street, so 6th was just a block away. I had worn the same clothes for the first week on this journey, and had on a new outfit today… though it still looked worn as I was going full blown “undercover homeless” today.  My disguise and my demeanor would be deemed believable by every downtowner today.

When “Dirty 6th” was reached, my pace slowed. My head dropped at 45 degrees downward, though my eyes, as well as the rest of my senses, were upright and aware. The busy-for-a-Wed street was 75% home-owning people and 25% homeless people. I was playing the part of the latter. “My people” nodded at me as I passed them by and the other larger population of people kept their heads forward without any acknowledgement. My heart grieved for those who were in reality, my people. I walked all the way down the street and all the way back up to get a feel for the atmosphere and environment. Knowing 6th would be explored more later, made my way over to 7th to find “The Arch.” It was not hard to spot… it was like a mini version of Los Angeles’ Skid Row. People were tightly packed along the block’s sidewalks. Many were wandering around and many were sitting with their belongings in backpacks, suitcases, or merely strewed around them like an un-kept laundry room. There were 4 large porta pottys on one side of The Arch building and they were busy, revolving doors for much more than using the bathroom. Memories started playing in my head like a projector screen of the same dirty porta pottys that I used to smoke crack in and turn tricks with guys for that next rock. I shook my head, not only at the shame of the memories, but more so in trying to shake the arising emotions from those memories. My eyes were sad and my shoulders slouched as I started walking past the sea of people who mirrored this physical appearance. Walking up to the main doors, I pulled the handle only to find it locked. Then a “click” was heard and I pulled it again to find it unlocked. Inside, to my right, was a guy behind a counter with a computer. “Haven’t seen you before. You new here?” --- “Yeah” --- “What’s your name?” --- “Katie (pause) Hansen.” --- “You from Austin?” --- “No, Cali.” --- “California?” --- “Yeah” --- “Wow, you have traveled a long way, Katie.” I nodded my head, for this was the truth among the half-lies I told him. I was now officially in “The Arch” system. I walked to the back where I saw a normal bathroom. Dropped my pack and squatted down against a wall next to a guy sleeping in the corner. The place was packed with people sitting or sleeping on chairs or on the ground. There were a dozen computers all being used further back behind the main room. Waiting my turn to use the single ladies room to acclimate, a female staff worker came over to me and told me that the door stays locked, so to leave the door open after I used the bathroom. She had a kind voice and kind eyes. Not going to lie, I was shaking from all the adrenaline as well as the fresh memories of checking into a new shelter when I wasn’t “undercover” and I literally felt like standing up and leaning into this lady for a big hug. Instead, I just nodded my head and pulled my pack closer into my bent knees and hugged that. Got my turn in the bathroom and focused on simply breathing. This place was new, yet it was bringing up old memories faster than I could process. I prayed for God to calm my heart and mind and prayed for Him to give me clarity of how long to stay inside. When we are in tune with His Spirit, He will be clear in when to go into places as well as be clear in when to leave a place. I made my way through the rows of chairs and over bags and outstretched legs of people. Saw a small open area by the grey cubicle dividers of the staff who sat with people trying to find a way out of the street and shelter life. Sat down on the ground and hooked one of my back pack’s shoulder straps through one of my legs, preventing anyone from being able to do a grab-and-go. Pulled out a blank rock and a Sharpie marker to start scribing the word “Love” on it. An older guy came up to me after 15min and leaned his head over the rock on my knee to see what I was drawing. “Hey, I like what you are doing.” --- “Thanks bro.” --- “Here, this is for you.” He reached out his hand and then opened it near my face. On the palm of his hand was a small, wooden cross. Reaching for the cross, I said, “Wow… thank you.” Went to reach into my pack for a rock to give to him in return of his gift, but the guy walked behind the cement pillar I was leaning against. I bent to the side and turned my torso to look for him, but he was gone. Not in that I simply couldn’t see him among the other people.... This guy had literally disappeared. He was standing in front of me and then 2 seconds later, he was gone. I never saw him again in the 45min inside The Arch. I believe in demons and I believe in angels. They both are able to take human form. Whether this man was an angel or not, I was handed a cross as well as a peace that passes understanding from that moment on.

There was a distinct time at which it was known when to leave the inside of The Arch. Walked outside and a crazy verbal fight was going on that had drawn many gathered around to watch the two boxers. They were pummeling each other with words and the crowd was revved up. I walked around the ring of people and prayed. Went around the block by the Salvation Army. The Arch is a day shelter and the Salvation Army shelters both men and women for the night. Turned at the street corner and went straight.

A man was sitting on 5 cement steps that led nowhere but to an elevated, grassy lot. Gave him an upward nod as I neared him and he returned the acknowledging gesture. Stopping to lean up against the cement wall that edged the raised lot, I pulled out my cigarette flip container, pulled a cigarette for myself and then outstretched the container towards him. He smiled and pulled one. After he lit his cig, he asked if he could sing me a verse. After nodding, he started singing… random verses from random songs. His singing was not polished, but it was personal. I put my back pack on top of the cement ledge and looked into his eyes as he sang from his heart. After a few of Henry’s verses, he stopped and said, “My name is Henry.” --- “Hello Singing Henry. I’m Katie.” --- “Haven’t seen you ‘round here before. Where ya from?” --- “Was out in California. Made my way here and am headed to Florida.” --- “You look like you’re from California.” We talked for the next 30min… about many things. Henry is 51 and has lived most of his life in Texas. Most of those years were on the streets. He was friendly, polite and laid back from the spliff he was smoking while we conversed. “You want a hit?” --- “Nah, I’m good bro. Thanks though.” --- “The way you talk sounds like you have smoked a lot of weed.” --- “For sure. I used to do a lot of drugs.” The conversation about many topics continued. Finally, I reached into my pack and pulled out a hand warmer and a rock that had a heart on it with “Love Rocks” on the sides. Gave it to Singing Henry and he turned it from one side to another. One the back of each rock I write “cling to the Rock ~ Psalm 18:1-2”. Henry liked both sides. Told Henry that I had “scored” a camera on my travels to Austin and asked if he wanted to take a picture. “Heck ya! I want to take a picture of the both of us and my rock.” And that we did. He loved seeing the digital image of himself and I wondered when was the last time Henry had seen himself in a picture. After a few minutes, a guy walked over to us and sat down on the other side of Henry. He was curious and right away, I sensed darkness in him. He was more observing than joining in on the conversation. He then asked me to come walk with him. I calmly declined. I picked up that he was a drug dealer as well as sensing that the demonic darkness in him was aware of Jesus’ light within me. This would prove to be true tomorrow. I gave Singing Henry a big, long hug and nodded at the other guy who never introduced himself. Both men would be seen and heard tomorrow afternoon.

Jeepers, this post is already long. And there is much more to share, so I hope you are in a comfortable position. I went back to” Dirty 6th” and walked down the street to where the bars ended and then walked half-way back up on the other side. Rounded a corner 5ft and saw a marble planter box. On the back side of it was a skateboard. “No way!” I said out loud. Walked past it 10ft and squatted down against a building. I watched it for 5min, waiting for someone to come retrieve it, but no one came. So, I snagged it. The skateboard was now mine and it totally added to the “undercover homeless California girl” look. Booya!!! Too bad I don’t know how to ride. Might have to practice in the privacy of an empty lot here soon. Still, the skateboard was a perfect new seat for me to sit on instead of the soiled sidewalks. I set it down by the marble planter box and sat down to celebrate my score. A few minutes later, two street guys rounded the corner and sat down on top of the marble ledge. “Hey girl”, one said. --- “Hey bro.” The man who had spoken to me was on the same side of the planter as I and the other guy was next to him but on the adjacent ledge. They made a ninety-degree corner with their bodies and bags. The guy by me was named Carl. He reached into one of his bags and pulled out a neon yellow hat. “Check this out, kid. If you push this here button, it’ll light up.” He fumbled with the button as Carl’s hands were shaking. “Here, you can have it. I gots me a couple hats.” I took it from him and pushed the button and the 2 tiny, but powerful LED lights were accidentally pointed directly in Carl’s direction. His head jerked back as his eyes squinted at the light. “Whoa, them is some strong little buggers!” He said with a half-smile. I pushed the button again and thanked Carl for the gift. Pulled out a hand warmer and a pair of thick socks (I buy a 4-pack every other day to hand out), handing them to my street brother. Carl thanked me. Then the other guy passed a spliff to Carl’s shaky hands that would be stilled after he hit the K2-laced joint. Those who smoke K2 (also known as Spice or Kronic) will have varying side effects from the high. While some become manic, hyper sporadic or aggressive, others will become lethargic, dazed and nod off. Carl was doing the later after several pulls of the poison. With droopy eyes, he turned extra slow towards me and handed me the brown joint. “Heeeere Kiiid.” Shook my head and said, “No thanks. I’m good, man.” I was not bothered by the offer, rather saw it as gesture of acceptance. What I was growing uncomfortable with was that the 3 of us were on the corner of 6th street and another cross street that was totally out in the open and in full view of all the people passing by. I thought of getting up to leave, but, instead, sat there for 5min with my head down while picking at the edges of the weathered skateboard.

Heard singing in the distance and thought maybe “Singing Henry” had made his way off the steps that led to nowhere. I leaned forward to look around Carl who was now bent over. On the other side of 6th was a taller man with camouflaged, water-proof bibs, like ones you would wear while hunting ducks in their marshy habitats. He crossed the street and walked over to us, singing the whole way and waving his arms around as if the street was his stage. He stopped in front of me and blended my blond hair and skateboard into his cleverly made-up song. I laughed at the lyrics as well as his dramatic gestures. I liked this guy already and pulled my bag of small pebbles from my back pack, shook the bag and outstretched it to him. This peeked his curiosity and he stopped singing. “Reach in and pull one.” I said. He pulled a pebble and read the words “Stand Firm.” “I’m Katie. What’s your name?” --- “Well, it looks as if my new name is STAN De FIRMoso. (see what he did there?) Would you like to come with me and paint a car?” I was still processing the quick-witted play with words of his new name, and his invitation then peeked my own curiosity. I nodded my head and stood up. Threw my pack on and flipped up the skateboard with my foot and caught it with my hand. He pointed his elbow towards me and said, “Take my arm, Queen. You and I will live in a palace together.” And so, I threaded my arm through the needle eye of his strong arm and we spent the next 3hrs together in the downtown palace.

I could double the length of this post with describing my royal time with my new friend. His real name was Mark Anthony. His last name will not be shared for Mark Anthony’s family has been looking for him since he went “off the grid” 9 years ago. “My family has money. Like lots of money. But they also have rules. So, I left the money and left the rules. I live off the grid. Don’t need much money and make my own rules.” Mark was eccentric, entertaining, and easy-going. He was so intelligent that he flirted with insanity. We talked non-stop as he led me through a haphazard way through the square maze of downtown blocks. I had no idea where we were, and only knew that Mark Anthony and I were going to “paint a car” not knowing exactly what he meant by that. Along the way, he found flattened cardboard boxes stuffed between lamp lights and garbage cans. Mark had 2 larger ones tucked in his left arm as his right arm was still latched onto my arm. We passed a fancy hotel and he asked the valet attendant for “a water for my queen.” Mark knew these guys by name and they knew him. A cold water was pulled from a cooler that didn’t look like a cooler, rather simply part of the valet station. Super parched, I drank ¾ of the water on the spot. Mark led me across the street by 2 upscale restaurants that had a royal blue antique car in front of them. Finally freeing my arm from his, he started waving his arms and dancing around the blue beauty. His was singing, “We are going to paint this car, my queen and me! I love her and she loves me. We will paint this car for all to see.” I laughed as I dropped my back pack and sat down on my skateboard. Mark danced over to me and dropped his own back pack. He sat down next to me and started making his canvas out of a piece of cardboard and some advertising stickers he had in his pack. Wish there was a video recording of this process, for it literally took him 10min to create the “perfect canvas.” He tried using the stickers to adhere a white piece of paper in the center of the board. He asked me to help, but his sporadic and erratic behavior made it hard to be of any help as he changed his plan after each sticker was pressed down. Finally, he tossed the paper and pulled out a foot long make-shift straight edge made of a thin piece of wood. I held it where he would guide me to hold it and he drew lines on the cardboard that made a penned square frame. For the next hour, Mark Anthony and I drew… him on the elementary, cardboard canvas and I on my rocks. We shared my Sharpie markers and he was tickled pink to trade his pen for the royal blue marker that matched the color of the car in front of us. When I pulled out a silver one for him to use, he leaned over and gave me a huge hug. “What a treat. What a gift. With this silver marker, my heart you lift.” Whether singing or talking, Mark had a way with words that often rhymed.  There were times where our conversation would be the soundtrack to our sketching and times where we would sit in complete silence. Mark Anthony was a true artist. We all are in one way or another, though some ways are more obvious than others. His vehicular portrait was coming along beautifully. Several people stopped to admire his work and Mark was not shy about stopping those who didn’t want to stop. He was a sketch artists as well as a street artist who knew how to panhandle. 

A woman walked up to us and stopped without Mark delivering his speech. When she told us her name was Grace, I reached in my pack and pulled out a rock with “Grace” on it. She loved it and Mark tried to get Grace to give me money for the gift. I shook my head and told Grace that I didn’t want anything from her as she was the one who had given me something by stopping to acknowledge us. Mark and I had a long talk about this after Grace walked away. Explained that though both of us were sidewalk artist, our intentions behind the art was different. We continued to draw side by side on the sidewalk, content that our commonalities overpowered our differences. When Mark finished his work of art, I knew it was time to move on. Mark did not take this well as we both had bonded quickly in the last 3 hours. “You can’t leave me, my queen. I shall never find you again. A person only meets a heart like yours once in a lifetime. I cannot let you go, my love.” I pulled out my camera and told him I had scored this camera along the journey from California. Eyes wide, he said, “Let’s take hundreds of pictures of you and me so we can encapsulate our brief legacy of love together.” We took only 5 pictures, but when we looked at our images on the small screen while huddled closely together, it truly was lovely. I gave Mark Anthony a special rock that had a small book glued on it and “when you put a voice to your story, it has a ripple effect on those around us” written on the rock. Tears were in his large, brown eyes. He picked me off the ground into an elevated hug and held me there while we simply rested in the ripples of our shared story.

It was getting close to 9pm when my time would be expiring from the parking spot where Tumbler was sitting… but I didn’t know where that lot was in proximity to where I currently was. “Ok, God. Please help me find Tumbler.” I crossed the street and looked to my right… looking right at Tumbler parked in the lot that had been 100ft away from me the whole time Mark Anthony and I were writing a short chapter together in our life-story. I laughed and walked the short distance to my truck while thanking God for the shortcut answer to my prayer.

Slept at a Walmart parking lot that night. It would be the second Walmart as I was kicked out of the first one at 1am. But that story and many others will be shared in the next post.

We are all artists.
Our canvases are different,
But we all create art.
We were created by the first Artist.
And God created us
To cultivate beauty in everything we do.

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock
Psalm 18:1-2






No comments: