Thursday, January 25, 2018

Day 19 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 19 ~

Church with the Carebs…Tacos…Mobile Home…Port Isabell.

When I arrived at the Carebs last night, it was an unfamiliar location, yet with familiar people. Their mobile home is beautiful and spacious. We had dinner together and the conversation turned to deeper things when we sat down to savor the appetizer croissants with real Irish butter. We had much to catch up on as our plates were filled with grilled chicken and pan-seared potatoes and then scraped clean with the last filling bite. Our bellies full and our hearts even more full, we all kept saying how it was such a God thing to have us merge paths in Mission, Texas.

A much-needed shower was taken and fresh clothes completed the overhaul from street-girl to home-girl. Duane and I took a walk to pick up a small parcel from their mailbox by the front office. We stopped at a mobile home on the way back where some of the Careb’s friends were met. They were from Woodstock, IL! Some of their story was shared. Made an “Impact” rock for Jim and Mary, for it was apparent that they both had and were continuing to make impacts on people around them. The remainder of the night was spent in the living room making rocks as the Careb’s watched The Crown. We had homemade German cookies. I felt pampered and spoiled… like a granddaughter at her grandparent’s house.

Duane and Erika are, in actuality, like adoptive grandparents. Our relationship goes back to my teenage years. I started going to Willow Creek with my Grandma and Grandpa Wilson when I was 15 yrs old and the Carebs were friends of my grandparents. We all sat in the same section of the huge auditorium. I have fond memories of harmonizing to “Shout to the Lord” and “Jesus, Lover of my Soul” with Duane’s voice as Erika’s arm would wrap around my shoulders. My wilderness years were beginning and the Careb’s would witness the deterioration of the drug-fused lifestyle as I continued going to Willow Creek till I was around 20 yrs old. My frequencies of making it to church was less during my late teens, and I often would sit in the high-rise balcony to not be seen by people who knew me. I would look down to the section where my grandparents and the Carebs were sitting, glad they couldn’t see my bloodshot eyes and a heart that was hurting, though also longing to be in a seat next to them. When I would find the courage to sit with them, the Carebs loved me unconditionally. During my 15 years of wandering in the wilderness, I still had a longing to go to church. Be it Willow Creek, The Woodstock Bible Church, churches in Rockford or Santa Barbara, my rebellious heart yearned for the collectiveness of Jesus-loving people singing together and for messages from God’s living Word. And the people within these buildings were genuine extensions of God’s loving arms that comforts the brokenhearted and welcomes home the prodigal sons and daughters. Duane and Erika were certainly a source of this distinct love.

When I woke up on the comfy couch converted into a queen-sized bed, a smile came across my face… it was Sunday, and the Carebs and I would once again, go to church together. The Carebs still go to Willow Creek in Barrington, IL. but during their 2 month stay at the Mission RV resort, they go to Midwest Bible Church. It was sweet to sit in between Erika and Duane as our voices sang the worship songs. The sermon was on prayer, and it wasn’t a deep, expository message, but the simplicity still filled the hunger for Truth. When we stayed filled with the “meat and potatoes” of God’s Word throughout the week, even the drops of “milk” can overflow our heart’s container. It was just as filling to be in the company of other believers who take their Christian walk to gather together Sunday mornings in a church building, but then take that love-style outside the walls of the building to their homes and community. We don’t go to church to be saved… we go to church because we are saved. It is not something to “check off” the list of what we think we need to do to go to Heaven. The more one falls in love with the Savior, the more they will truly and purely desire to go to church because our heart yearns for the fellowship, continuation of worship, and the overflow of Truth from the Bible. Yes, I could write much about this. Simply want to encourage you all to plug into this freedom and joy of going to church. Many countries are being persecuted for their faith in Jesus and don’t have this freedom.


The Carebs and I went out for lunch after church. It was a taco smorgasbord. I have eaten more tacos during my time in Texas than I have in most of my life. For real. And not the average Taco Bell supreme tacos, but real, authentic tacos. There is such a big difference. The three of us feasted on the Mexican meal, and our conversation was deep and rich in between bites. We drove back to the palm tree clad resort and spent the remainder of the afternoon relaxing outside in the hot sun. This part of Texas looks like Florida and feels like Arizona. It was beautiful, quiet, and serene. I made more rocks, Erika was knitting a shawl, and Duane was working on his model trains. We were each creating art together. I love how God has entrusted us with different talents that highlight how diversified He created us as the First Artist.

A small load of laundry was washed and dried. While folding the clothes I had worn on the streets of Austin for a week straight, memories filled the drawers of my mind. My time with my adoptive grandparents was drawing to an end, and it was time to move on. We drove separately to Jason’s Deli for dinner, as we would be parting paths after the meal. I had made the Carebs a “Family… faith, community, friends” rock that afternoon, and they were given it after the meal. I was able to thank them for all they had invested in me over the years. Their life has consisted of individual ministry, marriage ministry, small group ministry, and mobile home ministry. The seeds they have planted in people’s lives both individually and together as a couple, has produces gardens and fields of faith, hope and love in people’s lives. They might not have witnessed all the fertilization and growth from each of those countless seeds, but I wanted to share with them how their seeds had taken root in the garden of my own heart. Oh, how Duane and Erika truly are reflections of God’s love and light.

I drove to Port Isabell that night. My heart was full and I slept deeply in the backseat of Tumbler. The Carebs would be the last familiar faces I saw for a long length of time. But my Pilot, Counselor, and Lover of my soul would be present with me during each of those days.

We may not see the harvest
Of all the seeds that we plant,
But do not stop planting seeds of love.
We are not obedient to get saved.
We are saved, so we are obedient.

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock



Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: