Saturday, July 13, 2013

First Day of The Cling to the Rock Tour

~ 1st Day ~ 

West Coast Rock Tour

                                                                                                                

                                     


Truck, "Rock Tumbler" all packed and ready to roll, God allowed it to pour and I was grateful for the free wash! Mom and dad were there to send me off (long hugs)... prayed over me and released their daughter to keep clinging to the Rock. Then dropped in to hug Courtney, Sawyer and Dani Joy (who might be able to walk to me when I return!) Stopped to spend a few hours with my world's best friend, Chesetta, and soak up precious time with her. 
                                        

We went to the Rockford Rescue Mission and some of the staff who were there both times I was in that program, prayed over me. Very appreciated and a special time of giving God glory for all He has done, is doing, and will continue to do in each of our lives.
                           
                                    

 Then I drove to St. Louis, Missouri where I felt God leading me to pull off and park. Ran into 2 homeless guys right as I got out of Tumbler. They were asking for money, so I went and bought vitamin water for them. The Arch of St. Louis is quite impressive... and I snapped some pictures while driving by it. But I didn't feel drawn to walk to this attraction after parking, but rather to a stretch of parks along Market Street. On and around every bench was a cluster of homeless people of all ages, races, and volumes of conversations. Some were quite vocal, others were whispering, and still others were having silent conversations in their own minds (these were the ones I wished I could hear, cause they speak the loudest of what that person is really thinking/going through.)

                                             

 Honestly, I was kind doing an undercover operation of the downtown park, cause frankly, I probably looked homeless myself... sweaty, hair disheveled (humidity) and toting an abnormally large backpack. I didn't want to stand out as a tourist, but I did want to stand out cause I was smiling and looking them right in the eye. Yes, I received a variety of looks!

I truly wanted to stop and sit with many of them (especially the lady with stacks of papers and one sheet laying on her lap that she was writing on, the young man off to himself with his head in his hands, and the one lady who was scantily clad amidst a large group of rough looking guys... I knew her job, and I felt her lostness despite the specific role she had adopted.) But despite these longing to go left or right, I kept walking straight. My role in this hour was not to converse with them, but to continue conversing with God by praying for them. I had to trust that this was enough, though I wanted to do more. Often, praying is the greatest action of love we can do for someone. I looped the parks and then took off in my truck, leaving the remaining time in the meter for someone else to smile at when pulling into that spot. Sometimes, we have reason to stay longer in one place, but when God says to go, we must simply leave and know that others will come along behind us to water the seeds that were planted.

                                   

I drove for a few more hours. It was still 95 degrees at 9:10pm, but I was grateful to be driving and not one of the countless people living on the streets having silent conversations with themselves about how they got there and if they would ever get out of that lifestyle. So many things remind me of where I used to be... and keep me grateful for where I am today, by God's grace and mercy. I owe my life to the Savior and I will spend the rest of my earthly days following the path He has laid out for me... regardless of where that path takes me. He is my all. He is my everything. He is my Rock. Still, I'm sooooo grateful for the "bonus blessings" of my loyal, loving parents, my amazing siblings, my beautiful friends, and the culmination of all the prayers that have gone out, are going out still, and will continue to cover over me. Prayer is so crucial not only on this voyage, but every day. Thank you all for lifting up this "rolling rock." Day 1 was awesome!!!

 (P.S. For those of you wondering where I'm sleeping tonight, Oak Grove, MI. has a wonderful Walmart parking lot!) I am safe... fear not.

 ~Unshakable Peace, Gratitude and Purpose~
cling to the Rock
 Psalm 18:1-2
                                            

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Walmarts rock! :)