Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 6 ~ "West Coast Rock Tour"

 ~ 6th Day ~


Today was a day of rest... well, kind of.

Last night was a reprieve from life on the road and living in Tumbler. The long, hot shower I took not only washed off a few layers of grime, but also reminded me of how we can take such simple things for granted. It took me back to when I was living on the streets of California and would go weeks without a shower. Even though it's only been under a week, so much has been a reminder of darker days. Sights, sounds and smells have triggered memories... some I remember and some I had forgotten.
But the triggers are reminders of where I no longer am, where I came up out of, who and where I am today, and the beauty of using past experiences to help others find freedom.

While the shower was wonderful, the real bed was also a welcome sight... and beautiful bonus. I slept like a rock and didn't get woken by the heat of the sun (slept soundly till 10am!) For those of you who don't know this about me, oatmeal + brown sugar + a big spoonful of peanut butter has been my consistent breakfast for the last 5 yrs... faithfully. And this was another luxury I have been missing on the road, as Tumbler does not have a microwave installed (yet:). The bowl of oatmeal tastes better than usual this morning. Sometimes the small things we in-joy on an everyday basis are the sweet (bonus) things we miss when they aren't available.


So I'm at the amazing Leigh house and there is something so warming about this beautiful home and more so the beautiful family who lives in it. If you have ever been blessed with knowing them, they are some of the kindest, warm-hearted, generous, down-to-earth, talented/gifted and Godly people you may meet. There is no exaggeration in this either... the Leigh's are a treasure once discovered, one does not want to let go of. Kelley, in particular, has played a huge role in my recovery and healing process over the years. I could write so much on who she is, who she has meant to me and continues to be, and what she is doing now that encourages me to keep allowing God to direct my steps, be my Counselor and Guide. She is currently writing a book... Whoop whoop!!! I'll be waiting to buy it when it's published and all of you should be excited to get a copy of your own and glean from the wisdom, experience, courage and life of this amazing gifted and Godly woman.
                                             


After the morning's adjustment to waking up in a house and welcomed slow pace, Kelley and I decided to go for a long hike. With their dog more than content to hop in the backseat of Tumbler, we set off down the road to our destination... the starting point of an absolutely beautiful trail that meandered by a small stream, through groves of trees of all types and alongside and through mountains. The variety of flowers and sweet smell of sage and pine trees were aromas that tickled our senses. There were red, grey and green rocks of all sizes that had broken off and fallen down the mountainside and the cliffs brought me back to my climbing days (when I used to do things without ropes that were honestly not that smart). The scenery was stellar... but the topography of the conversations were beautiful beyond the view. Conversing with Kelley is an overflow of joy.
                   


It started to rain but we both didn't mind. Like the shower last night, the rain was a washing in more than one way. It was a warm rain too, and it felt so good to be in the warmth of God's love and his gift of such a kindred friend.

Once back at the house, I felt kinda unsettled and antsy 'cause much the last 5 days had been spent on streets not knowing (in a good way) where I would wander to and who would be placed on that path. Here, I had no where I needed to go and nothing I needed to do... except rest and take advantage of that. So I pulled out my backpack from Tumbler, found a comfy place on their couch, and began to scribe a rock. One of their 4 all uniquely different and extremely talented/gifted sons was playing the bass guitar to a variety of songs that became the soundtrack of my scribing. Isaac is 17 and mature beyond his years. He is very knowledgeable of music and I in-joyed listening to him figure out the bass lines to the songs by ear. After only a few letters on the rock, I asked him what he wanted to do/be in life... a delightful and colorful conversation followed and I put aside my Sharpie marker and rock as he put down his bass guitar to engage in a variety of topics. I love seeing guys his age who have passion and love for God. He is a bright young man with a bright future ahead of him, still he is aware of the gift of this day and the One who made it.
                                    


Pizza was ordered and more conversations were ushered in around the huge family dining room table. Kelley, Isaac and I talked about Tattoos, semicolons, mudslides, lightning and the brevity of life. It was great eating with friends and sharing life stories.

Kelley works at an incredible non-for profit organization called Exodus Road. I will finally get to me Laura (the founder with her husband Matt) and the E.R. team Mon. and I'm beyond stoked for this long awaited merging of physical (rather than cyber) paths. Kelley and I lingered at the table for another 30-40 min talking about E.R. and all that they are doing for the girls and boys they rescue from human trafficking in Thailand and India. Please check them out and support, encourage and pray for this organization at www.theexodusroad.com. We all can play a valuable role in helping the rescue of these innocent ones... whether that is praying or giving. My friends, please go to their site. Read about "Sarah's Story" and her amazing rescue. Missing oatmeal makes me feel pretty selfish compared to the over 27 million who are missing freedom right now.
Awareness is one things... doing something about that awareness is another. I feel blessed to be able to play a small role in and with this awesome organization Mon. and hopefully, the years to come.

Wiping away the moisture in my eyes, that is a hard paragraph to follow.
We have freedoms and luxuries today that we so take for granted.
I hope both you and I think about Sarah and the nameless others who are still in slavery at this very moment, the next time we go to complain about something. We have it so good compared to so many.
                                      
                                   
The rest of the evening was spent on the living room couch with my dear friend, Kelley.... creating a blog for "cling to the Rock" ministry. Actually we were just refining and revising the already existing one made by another great and gifted friend, Steve Baird. The blog was created for people to be able to go watch the documentary videos filmed over 2 years ago of my story... for God's glory. The newly revised blog is still at the same address (www.clingtotheRock.blogspot.com) and the videos are still there on the side, but now people can follow the "West Coast Rock Tour" at this site as well as other postings when I arrive back at the home mission field. This will enable people who are not friends with me on FB to learn about God's love and catch a glimpse of what goes on in my often wandering (but always growing) mind that is constantly being stretched by the awesomeness of our Savior and Rock. Please let others know that this blog is alive!!! I'm so very grateful for the brilliant mind of Kelley who graciously invested this time to put the needed fresh breath into this blog.
I am viewing it as another mission field, so please pray for me to continue being bold in sharing the Good News on this new soil.

We are all called to different mission fields everyday.
Not one is more important than the previous or the next.
Let us be mindful of every deposit we make into other people.
May we be intentional about our words, attitude and actions.
View every post (on and off FB) as if it were your last.
It will change your view of everything.
So if this is my last post, know I love you.
But more importantly, God loves you infinitely more.
He wants to be your rescuer.
Be set free in Jesus' name today.

~Unshakable Peace, Love and Purpose~
Cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2

1 comment:

NikonSniper said...

Nice. Like what you've done with the place. Run hard. Jesus will be here before you know it. Steve