Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day Four. Castle Rock to Colorado Springs.

~ 4th Day ~


Good Morning family and friends!!!
May we not take for granted this gift of another day. Many people did not make it through the night and didn't wake up this morning... so let us make the most of every breath in our lungs.

was all tuckered out from the day and night's adventures, so here are the highlights of yesterday: I was grateful for a cool night's sleep in another Walmart parking lot. Grabbed some more bananas, and apple and box of strawberries for the day ahead. I love how the cashiers see me go in the bathroom all disheveled, and then come out all freshened up and in different clothes... I just smiles at their perplexed looks. Reminds me of the verse in II Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he/she is a new creation. The old has gone; The new has come!" We are all made new everyday, and not just the outer, but more so, the inner, should reflect this awesome transformation taking place.

I was still in Castle Rock, CO and the downtown area was a cute, humble setting of small shops, coffee filling station, and cool rocks landscaping the streets (I didn't snag any of them 'cause my backpack was already heavy with my own rocks). The next couple hours were spent walking around. I took a detour off the streets and wandered down to a slowly drying up creek. Left a random rack under a bridge by the trickling water.


                                       


Found my way to the famous castle rock perched on top of a mini mountain. Like the name of this rock, God is our Castle... our Strong Tower. Psalm 61:3 says, "For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy." I thought about how we must be INSIDE the Strong Tower for God to be our Refuge. We must ask Him to live in our hearts in order to be in Him. I began to pray for the people who see castle rock or make the trek up to the top. Prayed that when they at it, they would be flooded with the undeniable evidence that there is a Living God... a Rock who is higher than anything else. I prayed that those chose to make the journey up the hill would also chose to take the journey of living for the God who created this rock and created them. Oh, that they may all come to know Jesus as their personal Savior and Refuge... their Castle Rock.
                              

                                        


While walking, my eye caught sight of the railroad tracks under the overpass. This was prime location for homeless people and drug activity... therefore, I picked up my pace and headed straight towards it. Saw a young man leaning against one of the cement structures. Totally wanted to stop and talk with him, but didn't feel a peace about stopping, so I gave him a smile with a nod and kept walking... praying for his heart to be encouraged and to come to a day a day of surrendering his heart to the leaning on God instead of cement. And before it was too late, 'cause life under the toll road really takes a toll on even the strongest of willed person. I also saw someone sleeping on top of the gravel hill under the road. Again, wanted to trudge up and at least leave some fruit or a granola bar, but instead, I snapped a picture and left him/her with another blanket (of prayer).


                                 

I was a sweaty mess, and knew rest was needed, so I wandered back downtown and found a spot to set up my rocks. My back against a caged in wall of rocks, I started scribing rocks knowing there would be a least one whom God would have stop to inquire of what i was doing. And there were three!!! The first two were an older couple strolling around at a turtle's pace. They were so cute! Actually they didn't stop, but when they walked passed, they both smiled and said hello. I grabbed a rock I had just made and umped up up tap the woman on her shoulder. I told them the love between them was so evident... and have them a "Love" rock. A small conversation followed and the message behind the rock was shared. They were smiling with an understanding sparkle in their eyes.


                                               

The third person was a man on his way to court. He asked me if his cream shirt and yellow vest looked okay and I told him he looked very handsome. Interesting enough, I was going to tell him this when I first saw him 'cause he looked nervous and unsure of himself. Guess he needed a verbal validation to the other negative voices in his head. He straightened himself up a bit and there was a hint of a bounce to his walk toward the courthouse.

Compliments are free, my friends.... and they are often priceless to the one given to. Hand out some compliments and words of validation today. You never know the huge impact of such a small thing.

Packed up and hopped in Tumbler. It was noon and Colorado Springs was the next mission field on God's map. While driving on Highway 25, I saw a road sign that said "Focus On The Family Welcome Center." Sweetness! My parents and many relatives have listened to Focus since I was a wee one... Adventure in Odyssey was a children's radio program that we kids would listen to and Focus magazines are common to this day on our counter. They are partners with Moody Radio (wonderful, encouraging broadcast you can listen to on 90.1FM) so obviously, I was stoked to pull off at this exit and park on their campus. In short, the welcome center absolutely blessed me. The four people who greeted me were all my age... wonderful to see my generation rising to it's call to be bold and sold out to our Mighty God!!! They all had such a glow and joy radiating through them. We talked for a good while. They encouraged me, prayed with me (over this journey and over my life) and told me of a group of youngsters who were gathering at a church that night to sing, dance and worship. The group is called "WorshipMob" (www.worshipmob.com) and they are all about boldness in the name of Jesus Christ. Yep, that sounded like my kind of peeps, so I started praying for God's will in joining them in vertical heart dancing. These four individuals at the welcome center almost made me want to start dancing right then and there, but I kept it to a few moments of bouncing up and down after we prayed. I look forward to seeing them in Heaven one, sweet day.
I gave them a "Hope" rock.


                                      

Okay, I must speed this post up, 'cause it's already lengthy! There's just so much I want to testify about. Grab a cup of tea/coffee 'cause the best part is coming!


I went smack dab to the heart of downtown Colorado Springs 'cause I heard there were some stellar parks and a plethora of homeless people there. Mind you, my heart beats a little faster for those on the streets, but every person is a potential bank to make a deposit of love and possibly plant a seed rock. The rumor was true: downtown was quite the mission field! I spoke with so many homeless people who had incredible stories. Many were taken to the nearby 7-11 store to get food and cold drinks. One of the people I got to know was nicknamed "Rebel" because of the hat he always wore (probably didn't help the constant watchful eyes of the many cops). He told me his story and he has not had it easy since childhood. The part that really stood out to me was when he shared how people treated him now that he was living on the streets. He said, "I just wish they would acknowledge me... at least look at me rather than ignore me like I wasn't even a human like they are. I understand I don't work like they do, but that doesn't make me less than or lower than them. A smile can go a long way when you are struggling like I am. Thanks for stopping to talk to me, Katie. And for acknowledging that you see me."
Rebel got a rock with this written on it: 
"Live each day the fullest you can; Not guaranteeing there will be a tomorrow; Not dwelling endlessly on yesterday."
 I hope to cross paths with him again today.
                                    



There many other interactions with people of all walks of life. I would tell you of them all, but I might max out on the allotted words for a posting!


I was downtown over 5 hours... under disguise of being homeless myself. I'll share about this another post, 'cause I observed much and was brought back to the days I truly was homeless and living on the streets. The picture of the young girl holding a "Live...Purposefully" rock was a long conversation about how she sees the homeless in a different light. Sarah has a heart for the broken and lost. It was a joy to meet her.

                                  

At 9pm, I surprised some people at the restaurant/bar by Tumbler. Who they most likely thought was a weathered, patchouli scented street-girl had just hopped into a pretty nice looking truck... with a key. Strange. Their looks were priceless! But they acknowledged me now that I was "one of them" and not just another bum in their eyes.

On to the gathering at this dynamic church (New Life Church) up the road to continue giving glory, honor and praise to our King! When I go to a worship gatherings, to church, or even to worship practice at my home church (I sometimes sing and play the harmonica/tambourine/shakers on the worship team), I have come to say that I'm "continuing to worship" rather than going to worship. We should always be in a state of worshiping... never stopping, not going somewhere to start for we are simply keeping the worship going at a different location (mission field).

So off I was to continue worshiping with what I thought would be a few hundred people... but turned out to be over 3,800 gathered to sing, dance and praise our awesome God. It's been awhile since I experienced the movement of abandoned dancing before and for God. We would go from jumping around, twirling like little kids in the downpour of God's manifested Presence (which is a thicker atmosphere of His Spirit), and singing so loud the words of freedom and victory of living for our Savior.... to all of us being so in awe of the unconditional love of our Heavenly Father, some of us falling to our knees or even laying face-down, others had hands and arms outstretched and raised high, the words of the song being sung in loud, harmonizing voices and the echos of "Thanks you Jesus", "I love you", "Use me Lord", "I surrender all", coming out of the mouths of a generation that is being ignited by the fire of radical boldness to walk against the flow of the worldly ways of premarital sex, drugs, and alcohol. Not that my generation or the next gathered here this night were perfect or living a pure life, but we are all fighting against the pull to walk that broad road... desiring to be the light in this dark world by taking the narrow path. All of us were pouring our hearts out before God and praising Him for what He has done, is doing and will do in and through our lives that have been changed to living for Him instead of for ourselves. We were all prayed over several time in between songs... boldness was spoken over us, freedom from addictions was bound up in Jesus' name, wounds from abuse of all types were healed , the voices of the world and the lies of the enemy were commanded to be silenced, the power of God's Spirit was released to charge our lives with signs, wonders and miracles that would point others to our God who will perform them through us, and the fragrance of Christ and His love was poured out with an almost tangibleness. This may sound like an cult or appear crazy to some, but i assure you, this was nothing but God himself bringing a glimpse of Heaven down to that church last night. I wish I could describe the passion and praise, you just have to believe that this experience can be experienced at any time, anywhere, by anyone who empties themselves to be filled with the unexplainable love of God.


Okay, that all I'll say about those 2+ hours.. just awesome!!!

I thought I would sleep in the church parking lot and wake to go back inside to continue worshiping, but as tired as I was, I found myself driving back to the Focus campus parking lot. I made my bed in the backseat of Tumbler, kicked off my weathered sandals, and believe I fell asleep with a smile still on my face at the wonder of God's sovereignty and faithfulness to be our Guide when we let Him who reigns, take the reigns or our every gift of another day.

I'm so grateful He chose, in His grace and mercy, to wake me up for another day to strive to live for Him in all that I do. And if you're reading this (lengthy post) then you were gifted another day as well... and for that reason, we should all give a high five or fist pump to God right now.
Ready, on the count of 3... 1, 2, 3 ... GOD YOU ROCK!!!

~Unshakable Peace, Praise and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2

                                                


No comments: