Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day Three. Castle Rock.

~3rd Day~


Greetings family and friends!!! Hope your day was purpose-full.

Many of you are praying for me (much appreciated) but you must know that I am praying for you as well... that you are mindful of the mission fields you are on, persevering on the path you are on, embracing the joys and pains and knowing each have purposes, and growing more and more in the unconditional love of our Jesus. You are not alone in this journey!
Stay encouraged.


                                                    

Here are some highlights of this gift of another day on my journey:
What a beautiful day to spend in Colorado!!! Actually, I woke up in the Walmart parking lot in Colby, Kansas. Bought some more bananas and an apple after cleaning up a bit (my mom asked if I'm "grungy" and I must admit, a real shower will be nice when allotted!). Denver was 234 miles away, so I started driving that way. What some (dare I say most) people consider boring, mundane scenery... farmland ... I found absolutely beautiful. The green and golden fields kept a smile on my face and I snapped a few blind shots of the farmers working in their element. I pulled off at Burlington, CO and took a short tour of the farms, fields and foliage. This is John Deer country out here, with a spackling of CAT, so I didn't know how receptive they would be a this farm-girl pulling in their farm to get a combine ride with the CASE International sticker on my bumper. So I buy some strawberries from a little place, and left a rock in their bathroom.




Back on the road, music cranking, I was getting excited about seeing the mountains... and seeing what places and people God had lined up for the day. Once in Denver, I drove around for awhile cause I just wanted to check out this city I had never been to. Wanted to honk my horn when I saw the mountain range through the skyscrapers, but traffic was heavy and didn't want the Denvernites to think I was some crazy, Chicagoan! So I did a fist pump instead. Thought of my mom and many others' who have a special place in their heart for Colorado.

I found a parking spot a few blocks away from the heart of downtown Denver. Put in change for the meter and strapped on my backpack. There were many others who looked just like me... a wanderer, a traveler, a free-spirit, a tourist, one with a heavy backpack. I got a lot of nods, almost a secret code of approval (like the Harley Davidson bikers have). I was totally going to use this to my advantage here in Denver and in future locations!

Walked countless blocks, people watching and praying for those passing by. Many appeared drunk and/or high... those on drugs/alcohol and those on the pursuit of success/money. Both are lost and wandering in this world.


                                      

Stumbled across a collection of large, I mean huge, smooth rocks in front of a building. So wanted to scribe a few words on them, but didn't think the security would smile at the artwork, so I just took a picture of what could have been and left them as they were. Actually, there are rocks all over Denver and and other cities I've pulled into... I must admit, I took 3 energy drink sized rocks from a building tonight when it grew dark! They will be scribed and given to 3 people along the way.


                                      

I set up "cling to the Rock" in the nook of a large skyscraper. Got some weird looks, but no one stopped to ask why I was smiling while writing on rocks. Perched there for about 30min then packed up. Saw a cool saying etched in marble rock around this restaurant... but the 2 words that stuck out to me where "superincumbent soil." I had no idea what that long word meant, but I am familiar with the short word. Still, for some reason, I knew my rocks were superincumbent... on people's hearts. When I looked up the word later, and found the meaning to be "lying or resting on something else, as pressure" I understood what God was trying to show me. The rocks, and the words or verses on them, rest on people's hearts (or soil). And though I never want to pressure someone into having a personal relationship with Jesus, I do pray that the rocks are a gentle nudge to explore this living God who created them to love and live for Him. Sometimes, a little pressure (or weight of a small rock) can help push the seed down further in the soil. I always think of each rock as a seed... but not all make it down in the soil of the heart and take root. (But that's another long dissertation!)


                                    

The meter of Tumbler's parking space was running out, so I picked up the pace back to the park it was by. Got there just in time before it started flashing to alert the ticket-giver. I intended to move to another location, but found myself reaching in my pocket for more change... an hour's worth. Okay God, what do you have in store now? I turned around and saw the top of a shopping cart I had not noticed while quickly walking to save Tumbler from a ticket. The cart was evidence that there was a homeless person nearby. When I walked around the tall flowerbed, I saw a man laying down on the grass with other suitcases around him, and a small radio softly playing classical music. I walked up to him and asked him if he was hungry and he said yes. "Want an apple?" I asked. He replied, "Nope, can't have things that are hard to bite or chew 'cause the few teeth I have left are not in good shape... like me." I understand bad teeth, so I asked if he'd like a banana instead. "Yea, if ya got one!" By golly, I did.... and half a container of strawberries. I grabbed them from Tumbler and plopped down myself with the fruit. The hour conversation that followed was another I wished was recorded not just in my mind. His story, and his view of life, was fascinating! He even talked about Jesus being his best friend cause He was the only one Who was always there for him, while others will always let you down at some point in life 'cause we are human. I gave him knuckled on that one! He talked A LOT... like no one had listened to him for quite awhile. Maybe that was why the extra meter time was dropped in the slot, so that this slot of time could be to hear a man who had experience much and lived to tell it, but had no one to tell some of it to. When the topic drifted to "giving without expecting anything in return" I knew it was time to pull out his rock. A "Love" rock was God choose... and we took the picture with him still laying down 'cause he said he felt comfortable with me and wanted the picture to show this.
His name was Marshall.
                                                 

                                               

Thought I would be in Denver all afternoon, night, and into the next day, but God had other plans. For all you who think this whole trip is dangerous, it's REALLY dangerous to stay longer in one spot than led to. When the Spirit says, "Go" we need to listen and obey. We trust God to protect us, but we don't need to "test His protection." And that doesn't mean that we will never be in danger or harms way when we are obeying the leading of God, cause this world hold's much danger and people's free will can make the unexpected happen. BUT when we are being led by God, the danger is much less than when we take the reigns.
(Tangent, and another potential post.)

It was time to move on, despite my wanting to stay. Didn't know where to go... even which direction. So I just started driving. Of course it was prime rush hour and the traffic was horrendous! Good things for great music and a chance to have the breeze from the open windows cool me off, even at a crawling speed. This slow pace also gave me time to pray for the next step... the next city. After 45min, a sign that said "Castle Rock" appeared. I like rocks, so I took that as a sign. Once in the town, a McDonalds arch reminded me that I needed food. A gourmet meal of a side salad, deconstructed 4-piece chicken nuggets, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing hit the spot. But I knew my truck was not in the right spot, so I pulled out and then I saw it: the back of a mall's parking lot that was on top of a large hill overlooking the same mountain range I saw before... and the sun was falling slowly through the clouds to what would be one of the most beautiful sunsets I've yet seen. Parked in what I'll call a "God-spot" I grabbed my camera and Bible to watch the sun transform the colors of the horizon over the next 40min. There was moisture in my eyes for many reasons (joy and sadness)... the beauty of God's creation, the wonder of every sunset being different, the joy of the journey of life as well as the pain of the journey, the sadness of many who were hurting at that very moment, the ache for those whose head (and heart) was too downcast to take notice of this beautiful sunset.


                                   

But there is HOPE!!! There is purpose in every pain and reason to lift our heads and hearts from that downcast position.... there is help for those who are willing to receive it. We have a Savior, Friend, Counselor, and Redeemer whose name is Jesus! And He is the lifter of our hearts.

"I lift up my eyes to the hills... where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and earth."
(Psalm 121:1-2)

~Unshakable Peace, Hope and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: