Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 13 ~ West Coast Rock Tour


 ~ 13th Day ~


From Montrose...To Durango...And a lot of awesomeness in between.


Wowsa!!! Not surprised by how sweet this day was, but there are always those "bonus blessings" of things that were unexpected.

I woke up in Ouray, CO in my cousin Nicole's comfy bed. This may not seem like a big deal, but when compared to the back seat of a Dodge Ram, a real bed is so much more comfortable (and roomy!). Still, the many nights in Tumbler have been without much complaint, for even that is a big upgrade from sleeping under a bridge, catamaran boat or bush (as was in California).


The daylight hours of this day were spent making more memories with my cousin. Nicole and I set out to go tubing down the La Campadre River after breakfast. She wanted to give me the "good tube" but I truly wanted the black, rubber tire for it reminded me of the tractor tires we used to use on the Nippersink River in the summer and (being pulled behind the tractor) in the soybean fields in the winter. We ambled down the river, encountering some gnarly rapids interspersed throughout the lazy river areas. I utilized the bungee cords I brought with me, by hooking them to our tubes... good thing, cause it wouldn't have been as easy talking while being carried downstream. What a joy to have the beautiful backdrop of the mountains for this bonding time.

We changed clothes in between cars passing and made our way back to town. Caffeine wasn't needed due to our already hyper state, but we stocked up anyway... at her boyfriends chocolate/coffee shop on Main St. in Ouray. I had a "Mocha Mmmm (with a splash of homemade caramel and extra espresso) Shake" and Nicole had a Caramel Sundae Shake. Needless to say, our word were coming out in lightning speed for the next hour.

We went back to her cute apartment so Nicole could pack... I had invited her to follow me to Durango late that afternoon to meet my friend (and musical genius)Rob Webster. She had taken me up on the adventure and was even going to spend that night (Sat) at Rob and his girlfriend, Jenny's house. We both had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

Flashing the peace sign at Ouray in my rear view window, the drive to Durango was an adventure in and of itself. I would not suggest it to people who have heart problems or those with any hint to fear of heights. I, on the other hand, flippin' LOVED the gnarly, dangerous, precarious, downright beautiful drive along Red Cliff. Tumbler did swell navigating through the sharp turns of a road with next to no guard rails. Ironic that flat roads have them, but this road that typically had a side that led down to a death fall, did not. I snapped way less pictures on this pass due to the heightened danger aspect... but still took a "few."

We were still alive and grateful when we reached Durango and had pulled into Webster and Jenny's place. They live in a large house right on the Dalten Golf Course... and Webster was in the driveway to greet us. I gave a loud "Whoop Whoop" and jumped out to embrace my dear friend who I've known for over 10yrs. All of our memories have been made in the Mid-West, so it was cool for our paths to cross here in Colorado where he and Jenny have lived for 1.5 years. I would spend the next 3.5 days here with them.

Nicole had taken her own car and with both our vehicles parked, we all went out to the back porch, overlooking a river, to chill for a couple hours. Webster was playing at a local bar that night, and I was going to set up a table with "cling to the Rock." We got there at 7pm... he played at 8pm. We ran into a detour of sorts when it was announced that a "popular" artist from Tennessee had showed up and wanted to perform before Rob. It took awhile to see the "purpose" in this unplanned situation, but when we heard the man sing (hard to believe he was popular) we knew that when Rob went up to sing, it would be somewhat embarrassing for this artist. He was past cocky, had security guys that were totally rude, and it was hard to be nice to him and his entourage. Yes, I'm being mean when describing this guy, but I'm also being real... it took some deep sighs to pray for him, but I did (many times throughout the night).


The Tenn. artist off the stage, it was time for Webster to get up and wake up the sleeping crowd... the place went wild. I had quite a time getting the security guards to move away from the table that the owner had designated for me to set up my rocks and rock necklaces. Again, words had to be chosen wisely, and my temperature kept at a low altitude, for these guys were not cool and condoning of this rock girl. Good thing my dad or brothers weren't there... still, I handled it well for being a girl. They finally moved, probably cause I kept smiling at them.

The next 5 hours contain too many conversations, music and people to write about without creating another post ("13th Night" it would be called). I will say that the people God foreknew I'd meet, were not by chance. So many seeds were planted. I'm sure there are many who would question the setting (a bar being a mission field), but I would not have gone if I didn't believe God wanted me there for purposes He had planned if I chose to obey his leading. Yes, I need to be wise and mindful of places where alcohol and possibly drugs are present, but those desires are gone. The fact that fun can be had without these additives, can be a witnessing opportunity to those around me. The Derailed Poor House was a tack that God has firmly pressed into the map... and doubters can doubt the effectiveness of ministering hope, encouragement, truth and God's love in a bar, but that God chose to use a past addict/alcoholic here, is proof. It is humbling to go where most Christians avoid. And it is not where many will be called to go... but I was. And it was awesome. 
                     
At 2am, they closed the bar. I knew my legs would be sore from all the dancing in between handing out rocks and the Good News. The residue of tubing down the river earlier, would also slow my walk in the morning. But the morning was not going to come soon, for the night was far from over. Once back at the house, the mission field moved to the back porch once again. Two other wonderful women Adria andCaity Lou) had come back with us. This made 6... but Nicole had migrated to bed, so the 5 of us stayed up talking and laughing till our bellies hurt till almost 5 in the morning. I had drank enough water to last me through the week, but would need it for the next few days. Sleep was welcomed... in another comfy bed. Durango would prove to be full of memories made with sweet friends.


Sometimes we are called to go where others won't go.
God can use us on any mission field He chooses.
Be willing to plant seeds anywhere.
If you plant them... God will make them grow.
(Mission) Field of Dreams.

~Unshakable Peace, Willingness and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: