Thursday, July 25, 2013

12th Day ~ West Coast Rock Tour


 ~ 12th Day ~


Leaving Keystone...Purpose-full Detours...Buena Vista...Ouray.


Woke up at 7:30am, rested and ready for this gift of another day. 
My cousin Brittney, Leo and Jaden greeted me with "Good Morning" as I came into the kitchen. It was so good to spend this short, but quality, time with family. Brittney is a woman of courage. I respect her loyalty to her husband and son... commitment is rare today, but she is willing to trust God through the mountain highs and valley lows. I was glad to have spent the night at their house so more time could be spent with family.



My stomach full of oatmeal and my heart overflowing with joy, it was time to wake Tumbler from his slumber. We had quite a day ahead of us and little did we know where we would go and who we would meet.

Buena Vista, CO. was the next planned mission field. It was a 3 hour drive away on Hwy 24. But this was not the next city God had planned for us! We reached the small town of Leadville after taking 1.5 hours with the stunning drive. The road branched off into 2 options. Tumbler and I took a right turn... on the wrong road. After another slow and scenic drive (many stops, lots of moisture in the eyes, and many pictures of what made me tear up in awe) we came to the town of Minturn (near Vail). A unique looking, older man in a teal, turquoise shirt caught my eye as we rolled through. "Hmmm, sure would love to sit down and have a chat with that man... but we must get to Buena Vista." I drove on a little ways and suddenly felt the need to pull over by a bubbling creek to look at the map. Surely, we were getting close... but I couldn't find Minturn anywhere near B.V. I needed assistance. Then the image of the old codger in front of the gnarly antique store came to mind. I would get to talk to him after all.

The man was sitting in the same place when Tumbler pulled into the gravel parking lot. "How ya doing ma'am?" He asked with a slow, drawn out voice. "I am well, thank you... but am wondering how far B.V. is from here." I said pointing right, in the direction I had been traveling. "Oh, it's not far... maybe 3 hours away. But not in that direction." Right then and there, I realized my wrong turn... that took me to the right place God wanted me to be. The man in front of me was that very reason for the detour.

Bill has owned this amazing antique store for 30 years. He loved the collection of people that rolled through this town just as much as he loved his collection of randomness that they would come to see in his store. I learned about antlers, Minturn, and other past chapters of his life-story. After talking a while, I said I had something for him. Went into my backpack to pull out a random rock from my dwindling collection, and pulled out one with a teal peace sign on it. When I handed it to him, he said, "Wow, this is my favorite color... I love it!" I told him the cliff notes on the "West Coast Rock Tour" I was on, and he though this was a "cool journey." Bill has been featured in the Vail magazine. I tried to replicate the photo the journalist took... except there was an added teal rock in this kind man's hand.

Often, detours can be frustrating cause they aren't part of the original plan. But I was grateful for this unplanned trip to Minturn... to plant a seed with Bill. Another "bonus blessing" in the detour was that I not only saw the stellar scenery on the way up there, but also a second view of it on the way down. There were several places along the mountain road where I pulled over to take in the view with misty eyes. A "Love Rocks" pin (made by my sweet friend, Cheryl) was left on the ledge at one stop. While getting back into Tumbler, I saw a group of bikers pull in behind me. One man walked over to take in the view, looked down and saw the pin. He didn't pick it up, but he had a big smile on his gruff face when he turned around. Guess he wanted someone else to see it or pick it up. Plus, it wouldn't have matched the other pins on his leather, Harley Davidson vest.

I flashed the peace sign going through Leadville to the 3-way intersection... where I got on the road that would finally take me to Buena Vista. There were several deep sighs when the B.V. welcome sign was seen. I knew rocks needed to be scribed, for they were being handed out faster than being made. I parked near the Arkansas River, walked over the bridge and down a path with my heavy backpack. Ventured off the trail to forge my own... which took me to a prime perch. This tree near a cluster of large rocks overlooking the rapids of the river would be my resting place for the next couple hours. Though this was such a peaceful place, my mind was racing with thought and my heart flooded with feelings. One would think I'd have plenty of time to process things with all the driving time being put in, but there was much "catch-up processing" that needed to be done... and this was the designated place. A few rocks were made and more than a few experiences were processed before the thunder forewarned of the storm coming.

Scarfed down a grilled chicken wrap from downtown Punky's and finished scribing a rock before the blue skies turned totally grey. Made it back to Tumbler just as it started to pour. I decided to drive to the Young Life camp "Frontier Ranch." It was less than 10 miles away and the clouds around Mt. Princeton were beautiful. Pulling into the long entrance of the camp brought many emotions. This place holds much sentimental value to many people... my mom being one. She went to this camp when she was younger and it was here that she made the most important decision of her life. My mom accepted Jesus into her heart here... and her life was forever changed on that day. After parking, I reflected on how that day not only changed my mom, but helped mold me. It is not because I was raised in a Christian home that I am who I am today... I had to find this new way of living on my own. Still, my mom and dad's example of loving our Savior and sovereign Lord, has greatly shaped me.

I truly had wanted to talk with the adults and kids here at Frontier Ranch... collect stories, share stories, and leave some rocks. But as I was sitting in Tumbler near the horse stables, there was this realization that I was not here to give anything... but simply to be still and reflect on the way this ranch had impacted my life on that sweet day my mom had opened her heart to her Savior. There were droplets of tears in my eyes as the rain continued to come down. I prayed for the kids who were here now... and for the kids they might one day have.

Back in downtown B.V. the hours of the day were passing by faster than the clouds over the mountain ranges. I made some connections with other family members in nearby towns. One tack on the map was pulled due to a busy schedule of my aunt and uncle in Montrose. It was sad knowing I wouldn't get to see them, but I was learning much about trusting God's plans and the tacks on the map He had for me on this journey. The other contact and tack was still a thumbs up... so my cousin Nicolein Ouray was the next destination.

After posting a day on the computer (which takes quite awhile), we filled up on gas and hit the crazy awesome road to Ouray. It was 6pm and the 4 hour drive would take me through some beautiful (and dangerous) areas. A brilliant rainbow was seen several times during the first half. then one of the most stellar sunsets was seen for the second half. I arrived safely in this cute little town a little after 10pm.

My cousin was waving from the long porch of her adorable apartment that is above the Main St. Deli Shop. I'm sure I woke up several sleeping neighbors with my "Hey Cous... Whoop whoop!!!" shout as I pulled into the parking spot. We ate a late dinner as we sat and talked at her dining room table. So great to be in her company... and pick up from where we last left off. Our paths don't cross often, but when they do, it's as if no time has lapsed. We migrated ourselves to the couch and traveled down past and present paths. When our voices started to get mumbled and our words no longer making much sense, we both started laughing and said, "Goodnight Cousin... Love you." We needed rest for the the adventures of tomorrow.

Whether detours take us down uncharted paths of conversations or down unknown roads to random places, there is often a reason in the unplanned route. When we view interruptions as opportunities, there is usually a treasure at the end of the road. We have a choice whether to be frustrated or choose to embrace the reason in the rain.

May we view the detours of life as blessings in disguise.
Be open to a change in your plans today.
Often, our plans are not God's.
And His are always better.

"We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but God's purpose prevails." ~Proverbs 19:21 (The Message Bible)

~Unshakable Peace, Perspective and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2


No comments: