Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 14 ~ West Coast Rock Tour

~ 14th Day ~


The gift of oatmeal...More Tubing...Katie Bug #2...The Balcony Bar.


Sunday was a day of rest, rivers, and rocks.
I had planned to go to this gnarly church in downtown Durango my first morning in Durango. It wasn't because 5am was seen on the clock, that I didn't make it for a continuation of worship and being fed God's Word... it was simply cause the alarm clock had a hic-up. God knew I needed the extra rest, for this day was going to be full. We shouldn't go to church out of duty/obligation nor is it where we fill up our spiritual cup, 'cause we should always be full (going is just an overflow) and we are to "be the church" to others wherever we are. Clarity: I'm not saying we shouldn't go to church... but when we miss church (for whatever reason), it should not be something we feel guilty about. Today was about continuing to worship and be led by God... on all the mission fields He would have me on.

Realizing I wasn't going to The River Church at 9am, I took my time eating a bowl of oatmeal. This wasn't just any oats... The sweet and beautiful Jenny had read that this farm girl loved oatmeal, so she bought me some along with brown sugar and peanut butter. This really touched my heart... sometimes it's the simply things that someone notices and goes out of their way to do. Oh, and her coffee is the bomb too!

As anticipated, I was somewhat sore from tubing and dancing. No time to recover, for their were a cluster of beautiful people going tubing down the Animas River mid-day. We took 3 cars to 2 different locations (one the starting point and the one the end) and when we all piled into one car to travel back to the kick off point, my cousinNicole, my new buddy Caity Lou and myself rode in the back of the truck with all the tubes. I've had some crazy rides similar to this, but this one almost catapulted me out of the back of the truck when it hit a railroad track at just the right time. I must admit, there was a moment of fear during the launch, but that quickly dissipated into a roar of laughter when I landed. And then we in the back and those in the front saw the river... and the level of excitement rose higher than it already was.

Another couple met us at the put in site, and it didn't take long to get all of us in the river even though the temperature was a tid bit nippy.We even had music to create a soundtrack for this wild ride... Rob put his IPod with a little speaker in one of the dry packs. Too bad he unknowingly had the tube that leaked, but he brought the pump so he was all good. We traversed down the Animas River for the next 2 hours. Many stories and hilarious times could be shared, but Caity (Katie Bug #2) and I shared an adventure within an adventure. One had to be there to grasps the scope of the last 30min of the tubing trip. Needless to say, she and I survived... barely. I still have bruises from that river (and it's 4 days later) but they are worth the memories made that day.

We took my cousin's car back to Rob's... with the tubes hanging out both back windows. Not entirely legal, but it's Colorado and they are used to these unconventional situations. Caity and I were much better at holding onto the tubes now that we were out of the rapids... not the case when we were in them! My cousin left to go back to Ouray. We had such a great time together. I love her so much.

Back at Rob and Jenny's, there wasn't much down time before we needed to get ready for Rob's show tonight. Myself, Rob and Caity went back to The Derailed Poor House (where Rob played last night) so he could take down his equipment and bring it to the next venue. Us girls went ahead of him to grab some needed nourishment at The Balcony Bar. I was setting up the Rock ministry tonight while Rob played acoustic, so when we came up the stairs, it must have looked as if I was homeless (with a large backpack, 2 bags and a purse). Not caring about the looks from others, we ordered food and began a conversation that will leave forever footprints on my heart. This was truly a bonding day for the 2 Katie Bugs. She chose a very unique rock... a "Love Rocks" with a purple heart in the middle. Though what makes it unique is that it was accidentally dropped a year ago and had split right down the middle (cutting the heart in half). I've always known this rock would go to someone extra special and was glad Katie Bug #2 was the new holder. I told her she couldn't give the other half to just anyone... it had to be her potential, future husband. Not only that, but he had to be a good man and treat her right. She agreed to get the thumbs up from me when that sweet, deserving day comes. I'm holding her to that. I care deeply for my new friend. She is already missed, but I pray this wasn't the last time our paths merge.
        

Wow, and the evenings events haven't even been told. I shall give you the cliff-notes on this spectacular night of more amazing conversations, music, rocks, and seeds planted. Rob set up and grabbed some food with Jenny's son, Austin (who is quite a cool 11yr old!). During the next 4hrs, I met a few handfuls of locals and people visiting Durango. I could write so much about the stories of those who got rocks or rock necklaces. Some had been homeless, some were still couch-surfing, others were searching for purpose, some talked with God and others wanted nothing to do with Him, and one father and son had all 3 of us tearing up at the end of our conversation. All this happened while listening to the amazing acoustic music of Rob Webster (www.robwebstermusic.com).

Sidebar: The picture of the writing on the wall was in the bathroom stall of the bar... it's quite an interesting dialogue. I chose to take a picture of it and pray for each person that represented the different marker/pen/pencil instead of responding with my own Sharpie marker.

Halfway through the 4hr set, Austin and I wandered down a few blocks to visit his mom, Jenny, at her work. A few cups of coffee and more than a few smiles later, we ventured back to The Balcony Bar. More on the sweet and beautiful Jenny in the next posts. I wished she could have been with us that night, but this lady is a faithful provider for her family. I totally respect her loyalty and love for her son, who she has raised to be well-mannered. Austin is good for a laugh, due to his matter-of-fact statements. He is much smarter than most 'cause he reads more than most adults.

We were all tired from the day, but decided to stop at the grocery store to grab food for tomorrows adventure which entails more tubes. We also got "Flight" from the RedBox since Rob hadn't seen it yet. Jenny was working late and since she doesn't like to fly cause of potential turbulences, we wanted to watch this movie before she got home to see the plane going down. I love this movie... for many reasons.

We all slept well that night. It had been a full day and my heart was full of joy and gratitude to have spent it with old and new friends. 

 We all experience "turbulence" within and throughout our lives.
Some of them make us never want to fly...or try...again.
Many times our hearts have been broken.
We can pick up the pieces though.
Embrace the brokenness.
Choose to fly.

"The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
and saves the crushed in spirit." ~Psalm 34:18

~Unshakable Peace, Joy and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: