Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day Two. Kansas City.

~ 2nd Day ~

Kansas City

Woke up rested. The backseat of Tumber is actually quite comfortable, yet the temperature was far from that... though better hot than cold (been there, done that!). I bought 2 bananas and some cold water, then hit the road to find where God wanted me to set up my rocks. Knew that there were places and people already lined up. Kansas City was the main mission field today... rocked and roamed there for 5 hours!


                                      

Once parked, I just started walking with my stuffed (and heavy) backpack. I wandered into a downtown park and scribed a few rocks with business and homeless people looking curiously. The only exchange of words was to an old man with this gnarly Jamaican cane, which I complimented him on. Oh, to go back to Jamaica (only with the Rock ministry this time). The role at the park was again to pray.

I then walked several blocks and stopped to take a picture of a Lincoln statue and a lady was seen in my peripheral vision. She was pulling weeds from the beautiful landscaping around the building. I pulled out a rock and walked over to her. A conversation commenced. She had been the gardener there for 7 years and before that, 6 years at another large building in town. She started to talk about the importance of pulling the weeds up by the root... I totally understood, for I love that analogy for life. Telling her that I and others appreciate her hard work that often may go unnoticed, she was handed the "Humbleness" rock. She didn't want to show her face, and I love this picture of her.


                                                 

Onward again, I knew I needed a break from the heat. A church in the distance, I headed in that direction. Right when I walked in, I saw this woman with such a joy-full glow. We struck up a lengthy conversation. So wish I had the my little camcorder rolling! I asked her what her story was and what followed was her story of how she came to know Jesus as her personal Savior after literally seeing the shadow of death in her room in 1990. She recited, by memory, two poems she had written about that day and of church doors... beautiful poems. I gave her a "Love" rock.


                                          

Next encounter was with 4 men who were living at a transitional house for men who had gotten out of jail/prison. They were a "little" shocked that I approached them with a smile, and even more taken aback when I popped the question "So what's the cliff-notes of your guy's story?" I listened for a long time... even though only one shared the most, while the others chimed in with parts of their recent journey. A lot of what was said made me sad at the lack of chances to start afresh for convicts/parolees. I felt their frustration and we all took many deep sighs throughout our talk. I gave out handshakes and one "Serenity Prayer" rock. I saw all of them smile with hardened faces.


                                     

Grabbed an iced chai tea latte at TeaDrop coffee shop. Told the owner about the "Rock Tour" when he asked where I was from. When he told an employee I was from Woodstock, IL she busted out a huge smile and said her family was from McHenry! Small world... Heather and I have much in common including a love for the Lord. I hope she looks me up when she goes back to visit. What inside and out beauty she possesses.


                                   

Felt God leading me to visit a rescue mission in the area, so City Union Mission was found. So much happened in that 1.5 hours, but here is the bullet points of the outline: 1.Talked with a staff member from the mission named Ivan. 2. Amazing conversation with the pastor of the church next to the mission (what a man of God with a willing heart and loving spirit). 3.Several interactions with men walking by, including a man who couldn't grasp that Jesus would love a man with his track record (He walked away with a "Jesus Loves You" Rock and hopefully the assuredness that he, indeed, was loved unconditionally no matter his walk) and 4.An experience of persecution of my faith and the Rock ministry that told me it was my time to move on (I chalked this up as encouragement, asked God to massage this person's heart, and walked to my truck, leaving the experience at the feet of Jesus, cause I didn't want a sour taste in my mouth, but rather a sweetness from knowing that God loves that person just as much as Billy Graham!)
      

Knew I'd be driving awhile, so I stocked up on gas and more cold water at a gas station. It was 115 degrees in my truck and I don't have A.C. Sent my mom a text in Wilson, Kansas (her maiden name) and she said she was praying for endurance and cooler temperatures ahead... and right then and there, it started to rain. Actually it poured for several miles and pockets of rain for the next hour! The temperature dropped and my sweat rag was put away with rejoicing at God's answer to her prayer! I saw a full rainbow in my side mirrors and wanted a picture, but it was too dangerous to take while driving (though I have snapped quite a few blind shots already). I saw a car pulled over and a couple standing by it. Thinking they were in need of help, I too, pulled over. Turns out they just got married and were taking a picture of the rainbow to mark the special occasion. Perfect... this enabled me to take a picture of God's special promise, as well. 

                                                                                                                                             

I drove late into the night (well, it's 1:30 in the morning now) and my body is ready for rest. About 100 miles and I'll be in Colorado!!! Whoop whoop! I'm stoked for what God has planned and purposed there... wherever the first stop is.

So grateful for all He is, all He promises, all He allows, all He provides.

~Unshakable Peace, Gratitude and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2
                                                      

No comments: