Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 32 ~ West Coast Rock Tour


~ 32cd Day ~

LA Lovebirds...Hollywood Blv...Painting...Bible Study.


When I arrived in LA's Sherman Oaks to Kayla's apartment, it was still early evening. When I pulled onto her street, I didn't know which apt. was hers so my eyes were searching. I was looking at house numbers, but when I saw a large bay window with a gorgeous young lady dancing in it, my search was knowingly over... no question, that was Kayla. She was doing a photo shoot for some friends and though she was embarrassed about me seeing her like that, I thought it was the perfect first sight of someone who has danced all over the world. A parking spot was found with help from Andrew and it was a joy-full sight to see him.


I have known Andrew since he was a young. I used to babysit him and his younger brother, Tyler, and their family (of now 4 brothers) has been friends with our family for many, many years. But this little boy I used to watch was now a young man whom I watched with wonder during the time I spent with him. He is 23, but has the maturity of a man much older. Andrew is going to the School of Music in Hollywood to cultivate his talent with the guitar and his amazing voice. His class schedule is demanding, yet every class is geared toward music and this is one of his many passions. I was able to watch him do some of his homework for some classes and this meant that a beautiful soundtrack of guitar music was the background while some rocks were scribed. God has entrusted Andrew with leadership, humility, wisdom, and a plethora of talents and spiritual gifts. Surely, he will be a blessing to some gnarly church when they hire him to be the worship leader. And I would buy and promote his CD if/when that season of his life comes. His heart beats for God first and foremost, yet he is completely in love with Kayla, a treasure God has also entrusted him with.

Kayla is a profession dancer and her whole life is a beautiful dance. Both Andrew and Kayla lead busy and demanding daily schedules, though the classes, rehearsals, and shows Kayla is constantly doing make me tired thinking about how much she is moving throughout the week. This 22 year old, like her fiance’, is mature beyond her years, though there is a contagious playful side to her that everyone around her catches. This was my first time physically crossing paths with Kayla, yet I felt a connection with her from the beginning of our cyber friendship. She is like a little sister to me now. Our time together was short, but there was a kindred growth between us.


The 3 of us went out to eat and then took a hike up this cool trail last night. This was a time to ask them more about their individual journeys and about their journey together. This couple is infectious… they spread genuineness, joy, and God’s love with their fragrances. I was kicking myself for not taking pictures of this hike, but the memories made and the view of LA from the top are forever etched on my mind and heart. The ascent up the trail was quite different than the descent in the dark, but other than some close calls of eating dirt, we made it back to the car without any falls. This reminded me of the verse Psalm 119:105 that says, “Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Though this path was barely lit by the moon’s light, our life’s path is set ablaze when God’s Word directs our steps. We may stumble and fall, but we can learn from them… and know that it’s the getting back up and claiming the promises of God that will help us in being mindful of that pothole next time around. The hike with friends last night was stellar… and I would take another hike the next day.

I woke up refreshed and recharged. The couch in the apartment was super comfortable and Kayla’s dog, Olive, slept with me the whole night. Oli is one cool dog with a personality that one can’t help but fall in love with. Oatmeal to fuel my day, I was ready to swing my backpack up on my shoulders and take the Rock ministry to the streets. At first, the surrounding neighborhood was thought to be the mission field for the next few hours, but Kayla’s prompting to drive to the Hollywood Boulevard finally convinced me to make the short drive to the long strip. So glad she talked me into this… it was where God wanted me to be.


Knowing the parking would be crazy (it was), it was suggested I park a ways down from the main strip. This was not a coincidental happenstance, the block where I found an open spot was right by a man who lived on the streets. I walked right up to him and asked him how his day was going. “Okay, I guess.” he said with his baggy, black hat barely showing his face. I crouched down, dropped my pack and pulled out a bottle of water and granola bar. “Hungry, bro?” He pushed back his hat, looked at me with his big, brown eyes and nodded. I handed them to him along with a rock that’d been pulled out with my other hand. Putting my hand on his head, I told him that he couldn’t hide his face and the sadness in his heart from the God who loved him and sees right through to his heart. It was more important to feed him these words than the food and water… though he was in need of that too. A “Love Rocks” rock was left with Phillip. He had some mind-binding spirits within and around him, but they were prayed against in Jesus’ name for Phillip’s mind as well as any potential transfer that tried to take place when I gave him a side hug. They were ticked off that I was talking to him, but Phillip mustered a half-smile when I walked away.

Hollywood Blv. was really cool to see in person, as I’d only seen it in pictures. At first, when I saw the stars on the sidewalk, I read all the names on them. After a block, the remainder of my time down there was not spent with my head down, for there were people who needed to be seen. Compared to many other cities, the homeless crowd wasn’t as thick, but it was still prevalent. I acknowledged as many as possible, handing out more food and water... and cigarettes. Now this may seem like a poor witness, and it is, but there are stories to come that will involve conversations starting over a simple cigarette. I don’t suggest anyone to keep smoking or pick up the habit so that you can witness to other people who smoke, but until this habit of mine is broken, I’ll continue to allow God to use it to find common ground with others… to take them to the higher ground. That He uses us, even with our defects, amazes me. 

There is this church called Mosiac that I’ve heard so many cool things about… and it was somewhere on the Boulevard. I texted Kayla and found out the location. When I arrived there, the front doors were locked and I was totally bummed. But I wasn’t going to give up that easily, so I walked around to the back of the church. To my added joy, these door were not only unlocked, but wide open. A parking lot security guard gave me the “I’m watching you, kid” look when I smiled at him and walked in. There were flyers all over telling about a leadership conference going on today and my smile grew wider when I saw that it was the Willow Creek Leadership Summit (I went to Willow from age 15 through the first 6-7 years of my drug/alcohol addiction. Love that church and all they do OUTSIDE the church walls. Once inside, no one could be found. I wandered the halls, but didn’t go into the sanctuary ‘cause I didn’t want to disturb the gathering of people being equipped to be better leaders. Sitting down in one of the back lobby’s chairs, I pulled out a “Love” rock and began to write a “short” letter to whoever would find the rock. And then walked in Satoshi.


Satoshi had a humble walk to match his heart. When I asked him if he worked at Mosaic, he said "Kind of" with a smile. Turns out, this man is quite involved in a plethora of things here including music and production. He has written songs for Hans Zimmer, though Satoshi is the type of guy that wouldn't tell you this. We had a short and to the point conversation and I gave him the "Love" rock, but asked if there was any way he could give it to Erwin McManus, who is Mosiac's main pastor. He wrote "The Barbarian Way" and when Satoshi was handed the rock, I said it was from one barbarian to another. Then I left the building of this amazing church, gave the security guard another smile, and went back out on the streets to continue being God's church without walls.

Grabbed a chai tea and walked for a moderate amount of time. The people were pulling at my heart... and hundreds of rocks were wanting to be handed out to so many people, from those who were homeless to those who lived in mansions, and all those in between the 2 extremes. I did stop to talk with a small group of younger streets kids and what sparked the conversation was that I'd seen one of the guys before. "Dude, were you skateboarding at Venice Beach yesterday? I saw you twice, and the last time was when you were selling your board to some girl who wanted it."



 His name was Jedi, and he and his friends (rather his family now) had just arrived in Hollywood last night. He had been skateboarding on the strip and he was hungry, so he sold his board. I was crouched down by Jedi and the young girl next to him, Jade. We continued to talk about the street life and things they had experienced while living on them. I gave them a peace sign rock with "Peace Rocks" written on the sides... but the message of God, who gives us "Peace that passes all understanding" was the most important thing I hoped would fall in the pockets of their hearts. 


More walking and dropping prayers rather than rocks into the people passing by. Though there was a special rock that I placed in one of the stars on the Hollywood Boulevard. Most of the stars had names of famous people etched in them. Some I recognized, others I did not. But there was one name that I never saw when my eyes went from looking around to looking down... the name of Jesus. Granted, the names in stars were of actors, actresses, directors, producers and such, but they were people who were deemed to be important and worthy of recognition. I did not have a rock with "Jesus" written on it, and though I could have made one with the Name above all names who most important and worthy of recognition, a "Love" rocks was left to represent the brightest star of Light and Love. 




Before I left the Hollywood strip, I dipped into a Converse shoe store and bought 2 pairs of funky footwear to add to my eclectic collection. The shop attendant and I struck up a conversation about shoes and our mission field being wherever our feet are. A "Peace" rock was exchanged for my bagged up boxes of Converse shoes. This was the last rock I left on the boulevard, but there would be a group of others who I'd lighten the load of my backpack by handing out the message of the God, our Rock and Redeemer. Though something on Kayla's long list of things to do needed to be checked off before this awesome merging of paths with a group of mighty women of God.


The apartment that Kayla and her roommate, Erika, were living at was in transition mode as they are moving out and into other places. The packing process had begun as had the search for their next apartments. Three of the white walls had been painting while they lived there and they needed to be painted white once more before their exiting day. This project was going to be checked off the long list of things to do today... The painting party that commenced with Kayla and I was so much fun. I love painting and this project was particularly fun for it didn't need to be perfect... just looking better (and brighter) than it was before. Though difficult at first, it was liberating to loosen my perfectionistic ways while painting, and to allow myself to draw lines that were not straight due to the previous color being on the ceiling and trim in certain parts. Kayla and I were able to have some really great conversations while slopping on the white paint with our brushes and rollers. It was a project made fun 'cause attitude is a big part of the way we view things that need to be checked off a list.

It had already been a full day and it the evening had yet to come. Kayla and some women from Mosaic church had started their own women's Bible study to create a more intimate and small group where growing closer to each other and to our sovereign God could be cultivated. Tonight was the 2cd week that they were getting together and Kayla asked if I wanted to join them... Ummm, YEAH!!!! We met at Danielle's new apartment that is beautiful inside and overlooks an amazing courtyard with a pool and hot tub. She is a writer, poet and is in avid shape. The other 2 ladies were Arlene ("Ween") and Aria, who are dancers like Kayla. All 3 were a blessing to meet and get to know.



We talked about a variety of topics that came from the verse Hebrews 12:11. I wanted to do more listening than talking, but I did share a few of the many things that were stirring in my heart and spirit. The dialogue and depth of understanding was food for my soul. I was honored to be amongst such women whose hearts longed to continue drawing more and more closer to the One who carves our hearts. Four rocks with the verse Psalm 94:22 were scribed before we had left Kayls's apartment and at the end of the the Bible study (though we never stop studying:) I gave each of these beautiful and gifted ladies a rock. There were a few things shared with them after the rocks were passed out and gratitude and joy within all our hearts was also thick in the atmosphere of that living room. If I lived near LA, this would be a group of individuals I would surely want to spend more time with. Eternity in Heaven with them and countless others makes me even more excited to finally arrive in my true home.

There are people who we cross paths with only once in life.
Others we see often and our paths merge frequently.
We are leaving an impression on everyone we see.
What are we permanently etching in others hearts?
They will remember us for one thing or another.
It is not our name or that is important.
Rather how we treated them.
It could be the last time.
Leave a legacy of Love.

~Unshakable Peace, Love and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: