Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 28 ~ West Coast Rock Tour


~ 28th Day ~


Shoreline Church...Rockin' Beach...Faith Walk...Laguna Beach Night #2.


I had crawled into bed at a decent hour last night, intending to wake up at a decent time to go to church this morning. I wanted to keep sleeping at 7:30am but really wanted to fellowship with other Christians. Maybe it was the exertion of expended energy trying to surf yesterday or the busy night of ministering on the streets... or maybe my body was sensing that today would hold it's own exertion. I fought the urge to stay in bed, but chose to rouse myself. So glad this fight was not lost.

We went to Jeff and Janell's church, Shoreline Church in San Clemente. It was an awesome continuation of worshipping our great and might God with family and the message what so on point... Hebrews 13:15-16 ~ 1) A costly commitment that clings to Christ 2) A Continual sacrifice of praise and 3) A conscious commitment to serve the needy. It was refreshing to be at church after 2 weeks of missing the experience of a church building rather than going to "church" wherever my body and heart was the last 2 Sunday mornings. It's more important to BE the church, but it's also important to go. It's an overflow of what we should be doing every day of the week... not just Sun. mornings.



Janell and I planned going to a beach that was known for having an abundance of smooth rocks, but I wanted to do some writing before we embarked on this rockin' mini road trip. For the next couple hours, I had one too many cups of coffee... but it helped the speed of my typing. After pushing the "post" button, I told my patient friend that I was ready to see this stellar beach.

It took a little while to get there, but when you are with a woman like Janell, any time spent in any way, is quality time. I love her so much... she is like another mom to me which fits in with her being my mom's best friend. I miss my mom, but there have been women along this journey who have been wonderful temporary fill-ins, though never a replacement of who my mom is. Nothing can replace the love of our moms... but those "bonus mother figures" sure are sweet treasures.

We parked and had to traverse down this super steep paths. I offered Janell my arm for support, but it was for my own balance as well. When we stepped on the beach, we looked right, the direction that she remembered the rocks to be. There was a scattering of them and my heartbeat quickened with excitement... but then we looked left. In the distance was a sight that made we want to bust out in a full out run. Rather than sand, the whole beach was rocks! Janell said, "How about we walk over there (pointing to the rocky right)" and I agreed with the quick nodding of my head that held a huge smile.

For someone who likes rocks, this beach was cool. For someone who is nearly obsessed with rocks ('cause it's a metaphor of God, the Rock), this beach was a glimpse of what some of the beaches in Heaven may look like. Janell knew that I needed to be released to wander. This time was carved out to spend with her and catch up on our journeys and although we were in deep conversation on the drive there and while walking to this part of the beach, she knew the conversation could be continued later... and that my mind was pretty distracted with all these beautiful rocks we now were standing on. With the thumbs up, I opened the largest part of my backpack still on my back, and started to fill the empty space with rocks of all shapes, sizes and textures. Some I could write on, others would be kept, and some would be given as gifts to those who helped invest in this trip.



Honestly, I was overwhelmed... for every one held it's own uniqueness. This may sound weird, but there was a feeling of sadness for the ones I saw and didn't choose to pick up... like I was neglecting them as if the ones not picked up were less special. I look at rocks like I do people: Every one is different, each hold value, they all deserve to be picked up... loved. But I am only one person, and I can't pick up every rock and can't show love to every person. I can only love a handful (or backpack) full. I also know that it's not my job to love everyone and other people will hopefully love the people who I cannot stop or stoop down for. The rocks I picked up will be used to show love (and hopefully help) someone else. Still, I looked at and saw the beauty in as many rocks I could, whether they were picked up or passed by.


Janell and I took some pictures of each other (separately and together) by the beach and in this cool hand-made wig wam, and though I'd love to share some pictures of this beautiful woman, because of her job, I cannot. She is a rare jewel... a precious and powerful daughter of the King. When we had journeyed back up the steep path, we sat on the bench that overlooked the shoreline and vast ocean. This was an intimate time to catch up on all the things God has done, is doing and will continue to do in our lives. She is a warrior on the front line of God's Army and I greatly respect her wisdom, compassion, and willingness to walk more and more closely with our Abba Father. 

We grabbed a cup of caffeine, talked some more and then headed back to their house. Jeff and us 2 girls were hungry, so we decided to get a bite to eat at the Habit restaurant. It's an honor and joy to sit across the booth from 2 people who have experienced many more days on earth and I was mindful to squeeze out the sponge of my heart to soak up as much wisdom, knowledge and experience from them. Jeff has had Parkinson's disease for many years and the way he has walked through this personal journey amazes me. I will share more about this amazing man in the next post, but over this meal, I learned much about more of his story. He is a fatherly figure in my life.


The 3 of us parted ways, they to an evening show and I to the second night on the streets of Laguna Beach. At the rocky beach, I had felt God leading me back to this mission field tonight, but He didn't let me know that it would be drastically different than the night before. I took the Pacific Coast Highway route instead of the freeway and tollway (to avoid the toll as well as for the scenic view of this coastal road). After driving a ways, I saw what I though was the familiar sight of the bay that Laguna is located around, so I pulled over and parked. I was pretty proud of myself for finding a parking spot where I didn't have to pay the meter $1.25 per hour. Little did I know why there were no meters for these spots. 

Strapping on my backpack full of rocks (which weighs over 60lbs when I have my purse in it too), I started walking... and walking and walking. The bay area, that was not the bay I though it was, was passed and the incline of the road grew steeper. Surely Laguna was up and over this long hill, but when I reached the top and began to make the descent, the sight of the busy downtown area still could not be seen. I had already walked over an hour and was beginning to wonder how much further I needed to walk. When I yelled across the street to a young guy sitting on a bench and asked him how much further downtown was, he said, "Oh it's just another mile and a half." Thanks, bro. I now had to make the decision whether to keep walking forward or turn back to walk the mile and a half I'd already walked and drive Tumbler to another parking spot (where I'd probably have to feed a meter). I chose to keep walking and left my first of many rocks in random places... by trees, streetlights, and benches. Maybe one day, I'll hear a story of how someone found one of these rocks and it changed their day (or maybe their life).



After another 20 minutes of walking up another inclined sidewalk, I saw police, firetrucks, and a couple ambulances near a coastal hotel. I was on the other side of the street and as I got closer to the scene, I suddenly heard some dance music start playing loudly from a shop a few buildings down. When I was in front of it, an older man came out, looked at me and said, "With all these lights, it's like we're at a rave... so I thought I'd play some raving dance music." His name was Kent and he was a total hippie who might have clocked in more days high than the average flower child. I put my backpack down (this felt so good) and we talked for a while as the scene across the street continued. We talked about his shop that he's owned and ran for many years, where we lived now and used to live, and he was really interested in the Rock ministry. I gave him a "Love" rock and he put it in the front window of his shop. Kent very well may sell that rock if someone asked if it was for sale... He was a man of random eclecticness.


Walking on, this journey had made me thirsty for more than water, so I stopped at a gas station to use the restroom and buy some Gatorade. When I went to purchase it, a conversation was struck up between me and the attendant, Jauna. It wasn't long, but the next customer didn't come in for 10 mins and this gave me ample time to speak some encouragement into her journey. I don't remember what I said to her, but God definitely had some specific words for her. A rock with "We All Have A Story..." was left with Launa.

It took another 45mins to reach Broadway Street, where the heart of Laguna is. Apparently I had parked in South Laguna, but this was the Northern part of the town... but I had made it and was pretty tired from lugging my heavy backpack every step of the way. Great exercise though!
When I got there, I needed to sit down, so I went right towards where I had wanted to go last night, but hadn't felt led to go. This was where the homeless people hung out and it was right at the T-section of P.C.Highway and Broadway. I had parked at 7:40 and it was now 9:30. The same group of guys that were there last night were here tonight. I walked over and stood (though I wanted to sit) on the section of grass that they were congregating on. It was right by the beach, and I had my back to them as I looked out at the ocean's night skyline. Then Frankie approached me from behind.


I heard him walking towards me, but waited to turn around after he said, "Hey, I saw you last night. You came by us, but sat at a distance. I really wanted to approach you then, but didn't. So I'm doing it now. What's your name?" I told him and then dropped my backpack and crouched to rest my back. He did the same and we began a conversation that would last 30mins. Frankie has lived on the streets for 15+years and it is out of choice 'cause "He likes the freedom of sleeping outside." He was open about his mental problems and experience with thoughts of suicide. I asked him if he believed in God and knew that He loved him and hadn't lost sight of him even while living on the streets. Frankie said he "totally believed in God.". I pulled out a rock that I felt God wanted me to give him. When he saw what was written on it, moisture filled his eyes. "This is so perfect, Katie. You have no idea what this means to me. I have been struggling with anxiety for many years and it's gotten so bad that I don't want to fall asleep cause I'm afraid of dying when I close my eyes. I know that God is speaking to me with this rock." The Bible verse "Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 37:7)" were the very words Frankie needed to cling to... and the reminder that God is our stronghold in every situation. I also talked with him about praying against the lying spirit of fear and doubt. Frankie is a man with a good heart and a mind that is recovering from past spiritual oppression. I was warring in the spiritual realm for him and I pray he slept peacefully that night and he would use the weapons and tools I told him about in the nights to follow. (Oh, and he gave me a beautiful sea glass necklace that he said he had wanted to give me last night, but was glad for the opportunity to give to me tonight.)

I encountered another man who was with the group of homeless guys, though Mike wasn't living on the streets. He had a wife, a son and a home in Laguna... he was a wealthy business man. Something was off about him, not just cause he told me that he hung out with the other guys a lot and supplied them with alcohol, but because I simply didn't trust this man. He kept talking about turning the Rock ministry into a business and though I explained that it wasn't about money, but about ministering to others about Jesus, he wasn't understanding. Mike was super nice and I didn't feel in harms way with him, but I did feel uneasy and knew it was my time to move on. He wanted a rock and honestly, I didn't want to give one to him. I only had 1 left that was scribed and knowing it was a long trek back to Tumbler, there might be someone else who needed it more. But he insisted. I was going to make him a simple rock with a verse or saying, but he wanted the "Peace" rock that was my last. I asked God to soften my heart towards this man whose spirit I didn't trust, and ended up giving him the rock. He had me personalize it. I shook his hand and walked to where Frankie was standing off to himself. Giving him a hug, I told him to stand firm and stay vertical 'cause the horizontal things can keep one discouraged. He asked when I'd return, and I say "Not tomorrow, but maybe another day, my friend." Another hug for Frankie, who I wondered if I'd ever see again, and I was off to start walking the 3 miles back to Tumbler.



There was some mental opposition to the start of this long trek, but I tried to focus on the free workout I was getting in while spending some one-on-one quality time with my Staff and Shield. God is the best traveling companion... he is so easy to converse with and His strength is sufficient in my weakness. I love Him more and more every gift of another day.

When I got to the first bay area I had seen while parking, I looked for Tumbler, but couldn't see him. A wave of anxiety washed over me and I wondered if he had been ticketed and then later on towed. Though my legs and back were screaming, my pace was picked up despite my muscle's protest. I descended then ascended another hill and still no Tumbler. "Really God!?!? You allow me to go on this super sweet 'Faith Walk' tonight just to have my truck be towed and go on another (not near as fun) adventure to find where he's been towed to?" But when I rounded the corner, there was Tumbler shining in the moon's light and the breath that I'd been holding in was finally released along with a very loud audible shout of "Thank you so much God... Please forgive me for doubting You and not trusting You!!!" It felt so good to open the driver side door and rest my body as I leaned back in the seat. I sat there for around 5mins before I turned the key and started driving back to my temporary home. This was my last night at Jeff and Janell's house... and last night with old friends for a couple days. Tomorrow night would be an evening of being relocated several times before I'd be safe to lay down and sleep.

We all struggle with different battles that wage war in our minds.
Some spiritual fights are more visible and apparent than others'.
Some are afraid to sleep, some to wake up to the same war.
There are weapons of warfare that are more effective.
Counseling, medication, therapy are all good things.
Though praying against the spirit in operation
Is the most powerful and effective weapon.
It's addressing the root of the weed.
Prayer and God's Living Word...
Be an overcomer today.

"God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God’s Word. We can’t get away from it—no matter what."
(Hebrews 4:12)

~Unshakable Peace, Prayer and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2












No comments: