Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 26 ~ West Coast Rock Tour


~ 26th Day ~


Carlsbad...Oceanside...Another Katie...San Clemete...Resting Place.





I did my usual morning routine in the Walmart parking lot, except I put on a tank top over my bikini top.. My feet would finally touch the ocean this morning
. Some writing was done before I went down to one of the Carlsbad's beaches. A lengthy conversation was had with a man sitting outside Walmart, collecting money to a homeless organization. I gathered information of this transition place for people like this a man, Zia, who used to be homeless and now is working to get his own home. I gave him a "Faith, Hope and Love" rock. Back in Tumbler, I began writing. I'm so glad the MiFi device has been working fine and dandy lately... otherwise I'd be even more behind on day posts. The writing this morning was a fight to not rush my recycled memories into paragraphs. I was super stoked to see the ocean without a metal railing in between us.

Tumbler and I found a spot off a side road that led to the beach. It's so cool how people here create their own parking lot and spaces therein. Any place that would fit a vehicle is a potential place to pull over. This kind of sums up the laid back attitude of many Californians. So I made my own spot and carried my backpack full of rocks instead of a surfboard or boogie board down the sand-clad steps.



When my feet touched the salty water, everyone around me disappeared. So many memories flooded mind as the ebb and flow of emotions on the shores of my heart matched the water washing up on my feet.

I set up my "office" a little ways up the beach and began to scribe some rocks. Though there were many people in-joying this beautiful day here by the ocean with me, I felt this mission field was for the ministering of myself rather than to the other people. Often, we need to be mindful of keeping ourselves full so that the overflow can spill out when we are called to minister to others. This was such a time... and I was soaking up the sunshine and continuing to saturate all that God is. Though I was by myself, I was with the Lover of my soul... it was an intimate time with Him.



At 1:00, I knew it was time to eat. I started to pull out a peanut butter granola bar, but put it back as the thought of treating myself to a meal in a restaurant came to mind. Packing up, I said "see ya later" to the ocean side, and drove to the town of Oceanside. This was definitely a surfer city and the people of all ages were walking on the sidewalks with surfboards or boogie boards under their arms, most vehicles had one or more on their top racks, and the surf shops were more prevalent than restaurants.

I was craving anything with avocado on it, so I pulled off the road when a cool looking Mexican restaurant was seen. But when I pulled in the parking lot, there was a cute, little diner next to it. "Which one do you want me to eat at, God?" Felt it wasn't the Mexican place, so I walked into the diner to the right. "Jennie's" looked like a typical family diner on the outside, but when I walked inside, there was a sweet fragrance about it. Hmmm... something was different about this place, and I liked it!

There was only one person working the place (at least the counter and booths). She was strikingly beautiful... feminine, yet a punk side of her was evident in her clothes and hair. Knowing I'd have her as my waitress, I pulled out a rock to make for her and put in her apron before I left. She came over and greeted me, "Good day, darling... what can I get you?" I asked for anything with avocado, and an avocado grilled chicken torta was ordered. Praying about what word God wanted for her, "Joy" came to my spirit, so I started scribing. I observed how this young lady interacted with the other customers and she was good at her job... she talked with them like they were people, not just customers.



The torta was brought over, and if Heaven has food, this item has a great potential of making it on the menu. I ate it too fast, but that was not only 'cause I was hungry, but I also wanted to finish the "Joy" rock before the check was placed on my booth's table. I was filling in the last letter when she came back to give me an anticipated box (I could only stomach half the torta and cup of cottage cheese I opted for instead of fries). "Whatcha got there?" She asked of the rock I had next to my plate. I handed it to her and told her this was a "bonus tip" for her. She loved it... and this started a conversation that lasted about 15 minutes. The diner was now empty, and I attributed this to God clearing the place so that the 2 of us could talk without interruptions. She was the sister of Jennie, the owner of this joint. When I introduced myself, she said her name was Katie too... but we had so much more in common that our names. Katie's story is for her to share, but I"ll just say that she has been pulled from the miry pit and her feet are now firmly planted on the Solid Rock. Yep, she is a Christian and loves Jesus with a passion. "I tried many things, but Jesus was the only One who changed my life." She told me that "Jennie's" was all about Jesus here... we all are Christians. We talked about mission fields being everywhere our feet are and we encouraged each other in our journey. Both of us were getting all excited and we were feeding off each other's joy. The rock was the perfect word for her. So excited to spend eternity in Heaven with Katie.

Except leaving a rock in random place in Oceanside, this was the only other rock I handed out this day. Again, it not the quantity but the quality. Conversing with Katie was definitely a quality investment... and I received as much as what was given out.

Off to the next mission field, San Clemente, where very close friends of my family live. It took me under an hour to get there and when I pulled up to their house, the level of excitement was pouring out of Tumbler's open windows. Now, as much as I want to tell you about this absolutely amazing couple, Jeff and Janell, I cannot go into great detail of Janell in particular. It's kinda like "Top Secret" stuff... and that's all you're going to get 
I will divulge that they are a powerhouse couple for Jesus... sold out more than most I know (and I know many). What an honor to stay with them for the next 3 days and soak up time with these dear friends.

They weren't home when I arrived, but the back door was kept open for this vagabond to be welcomed in their beautiful home that has a stellar view of the coastline. Not 5min went by when I heard the familiar voice of Janell. We embraced and it felt like a hug from my mom... cause she is like another mom to me (but my real mom, and her hug, is still the best). Jeff is a father figure too. Even though our paths don't cross as often as I see Janell, 'cause she comes out to Woodstock to visit, Jeff is one who you can see only occationally and still feel close to. They are such good people.



We all hopped in their car, picked up their son, Justin, and went out to eat at the Fisherman's Warf by the ocean side. Great food (too much) and great conversation. Stuffed on food and fellowship, we went back to their house. The guest bedroom was hotelesque... that's the word I made up for it. I would be spoiled the next 3 days, and was going to bask in it. Felt good taking a much needed shower and sleeping in a real bed that night. Tomorrow, there would be many rocks I'd hand out as well as wondering if a rock was going to make this my last day on earth. I wouldn't be, but it was a close call.

It's a beautiful thing when 2 people's life-stories merge and collide.
You never know what a person's past chapters are till you ask.
Be willing to dive deeper than the cover of another person.
One or more of you chapters may hold a commonness.
But you have to be willing to share part of your story.
This takes courage... to open up and to ask.
The benefits are beyond your knowing.
Our stories are uniquely ours.
But similarities are there.
Pain, Joy, Purpose.

~Unshakable Peace, Joy and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2









No comments: