Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 19 ~ West Coast Rock Tour

~ 19th Day ~


Phoenix...Papago Park...Van Buren Street...Don't Shoot Me...Cool Haven.


Sleep teased me last night and there wasn't much waking up to do. Still, the few winks I received would suffice me for the adventures of this day, 'cause it allowed me to rely more heavily on God's sufficient strength for what He would call me to do. (Still, I wouldn't recommend that someone intentionally deprive themselves of sleep tonight to prove this!)

It was so hot, even at 7:30 in the morning. I went into the Walmart store to splash water on my face, brush my teeth and change out of my more than damp clothes. My water bottle were dumped... trading bath water for cold water. I did some writing for an hour with my door wide open and the rest of the windows all the way down/open. Went back in the store to buy bananas, strawberries and an apple. I was now ready to drive and allow the warm breeze to cool me down. Though I wanted to hit the streets with the Rock ministry, I had only 1 rock that was pre-scribed. More needed to be made before they were able to be handed out. There was a park that Constance (the K Gas Station attendant I had met the night before) had told me about, so I plugged the park into my GPS.

Papago Park was near the Phoenix Zoo. This would be my oasis of peace and overflow of joy for the next 5 hours. There was a few gnarly rock structures in the distance and one off them had a hole where this couple claimed residency for a couple hours. I really wanted to climb a few boulder rocks, but the need to scribe rocks sounded just as fun. The park had a descent sized pond with palm trees and a variety of other foreign plants and trees surrounding it. I found myself a large palm tree to lean against and pulled out my Sharpie markers. Usually, music accompanies my making of rocks, but the stillness and quietness was a welcome this morning. Everything was so crisp and clear... the slightest breeze through the palm leaves, the songs of nearby birds, the buzzing of dragon flies, and my own mind that played like a projector screen of past days. This was exactly where I needed to be... and I in-joyed accepting this.

I was productive in scribing some more rocks that were placed in the "ready rocks" section of my backpack. An old friend from Woodstock who had moved to Phoenix had texted me that she would love to meet up with me, so we agreed to meet at the Papago Park. I asked her what word she was clinging to on her current journey and she told me "Compassion." We were going to meet in 30min, but since this was a 10 letter word, I asked if she could come at 12:30 to give me an hour to work on the rock. When she came, I was so excited to see her and catch up on each other's journeys.


Emily is such an amazing woman. She packed up her car when she was 21 and headed out to Arizona... and she has lived here since. Hiking, climbing, and any outdoor activity are what makes her joy-tank bubble over. She is a special education teacher and this takes a special personality (and heightened level of patience). Emily has compassion... but wants to keep being stretched to see the good in everyone and potential to be better. She has been blessed with a great man in her life... and she radiates joy. It was such a "bonus blessing" to sit with her and take in the beauty of nature around us along with the inner and outer beauty of my friend.




After Emily and I parted paths, I stayed under the palm tree to make a couple more rocks. I left one on a large rock on the water's edge of the pond. Surely, I am not the only one who would come to be refreshed by the simplicity of this place.

On my way back to Tumbler, who didn't have the luxury of sitting under the shade of a large tree, I was talking to him (as I often do) and saying, "Oh Buddy, you must be so hot... we must get you to a car wash to cool you down." And suddenly, I felt a sharp pain shoot through my big toe... that had just been introduced to a small cactus, capable of doing some big damage. I voiced a combination of the beginning of a swear word with the ending of a language not yet discovered. Mental note: always keep your eyes looking slightly in front of you when walking in arid places.
Limping, I made it to Tumbler and we both needed a bath. The plan was to travel to Las Vegas tonight (I had gotten the thumbs up through praying and asking God if this was a mission field He wanted me to travel to) so I didn't foresee a shower for myself, but Tumbler did. After the truck washing, we stopped to get fresh, cold water. There was a homeless man chillin' outside and so I grabbed a Gatorade for him. His name was Jerry and we had a brief conversation about life on the streets of Phoenix. I don't know why a rock wasn't given to him... guess my mind was on getting to Van Buren Street instead of the needy man in front of me. I regret not being more present with him and leaving him something solid to cling to instead of the flask that was protruding from his front pocket.

Emily had told me about Van Buren Street when I asked her about places in this town that most people wouldn't want to walk alone. She was right about the darkness this street... even in broad daylight. I drove there and immediately saw the familiar walks of women and the abundance of homeless people, addicts and visible depravity. I fought the urge to park and walk the streets alongside the men and woman who pulled at my empathetic heart strings. I was once them... for many, many years. The wanting to speak with them and love on them was repudiated for the feeling that I was to keep driving. I drove up and down Van Buren Street several times... praying for the people I saw and those who were either in the shadows or would come to this street when the sun went down and their shadows would fade in with the darkness.

I needed to process the memories and feelings this place had awoken. Coffee was needed and so was food. A Starbucks was found a few miles away and I spent over an hour here. I logged onto FB to check messages and lo and behold, a couple whom I knew from Woodstock (who also had moved to Phoenix) had commented on a location status... they offered their home to me if I needed a place to stay. I quickly responded to them that a real bed and a much needed shower would be greatly appreciated. A safe (and air conditioned) place would push Las Vegas to tomorrow.

Before heading to Dan and Sarah's abode, there was one more stop. A few homeless shelters and street ministries had been written down before I left on this West Coast Rock Tour, and one of those places was the "Dream Center" in Los Angeles, CA. I knew the home church was in Phoenix and maybe there was someone here who could give me more information on this homeless hospital, as it's come to be known as. I would certainly meet someone on the church property... but our introduction was unique.

I pulled into the long driveway and parked in the front row of the church's parking lot. This place was huge... and beautiful. I pulled my camera out and snapped 2 pictures of the sanctuary building and then the steeple. In my peripheral vision, I saw a large man (huge is a more accurate word) step out of a side building. He was wearing all black clothes and he was "packing." This means he had a gun... and he had his right hand on the holster. I put my camera down, slowly, as if to not look more suspicious than I already did. Maybe walking back to my truck would have been the logical choice, but I didn't want him thinking this girl was going to shoot (my camera) then run. So I walked right up to him and his holster.

The name tag said "Jose" and I greeted him by name. "Sorry if I'm raising your security guard instincts, but I just wanted to take a few pictures of this church. I'm not a person who has a target on your pastor, but I am wanting information on him and the Dream Center he has opened in Los Angeles." He softened his grip on his unclipped gun. "You know, there is one here in Phoenix now." He said in a deep voice. I did not. "You're not from around here, are you?" I was getting accustomed to this question. I told him about "cling to the Rock" ministry and the 2.5 month journey God had called me on. He now had taken his large hand off the gun and had crossed his arms. Not knowing if he believed me, I asked him to wait here while I grabbed one of my cards. He didn't wait, but followed me to Tumbler. I'm guessing there was some recent threats on the church and/or pastor 'cause this guy was doing a really good job of being security of this church. Often, there are shootings at churches and ones that are larger in size seem to attract these heinous crimes. The church I went to in Colorado Springs had experienced a tragic shooting that involved kids and adults a few years back. So sad... so unnecessary. So I understood why Jose was being cautious of me.

When I gave him my card, it's as if a light bulb went on in his heart. His face went from being serious to soft, and his voice changed when he said, "I'll give you the address and phone number to the Dream Center in LA. You should definitely go there and hand out some rocks." I probably should have given Jose a rock of his own, but I gave him a hug instead.

Time for a shower and welcome of old friends whose path was long overdue to be crossed with. Dan and Sarah live in a quiet neighborhood that is settled in the less busy outskirts of Phoenix. There house was huge and despite the coolness of the air conditioning, it was warm and inviting. They ordered pizza (best around that resembled Chicago-like pizza) and we wasted no time catching up on the years since we last saw each other. Their story of how they began dating and eventually got married is so cool. God knew these 2 would become life companions when he placed them in the same youth group. They are both way smart... Dan is a walking encyclopedia and Sarah is a quiet observer who takes in everything like a sponge. And their daughter, Addie, is adorable and has an acute mind.

We (rather I) devoured the pizza. Sara's sister, Lois, along with her husband, Adam, and their friend, Sally, came over for "Friday night fun." We all talked it up for a while, then the desire to utilize the shower beckoned. I came down feeling more human, and we talked about Las Vegas, street evangelists, and other random topics. It was nice to be full, showered, and in the company of good people. But the need for sleep was growing very apparent. After talking some more with just Dan and Sarah, we all were yawning. I retired to the comfortable guest bedroom, did some writing and succumbed to closing my eyes. What a fabulous, full day. And Las Vegas was calling me by name for tomorrow. And I thought Van Buren Street was dark... it was a pale grey compared to what I'd see in Vegas.

There are streets of life that will leave you smiling with a heart of bliss.
And there are others that are avoided if one doesn't want to frown.
Most are attracted to the first and the second, they go around.
But what if the dark streets hold more potential?
They need more attention... more love.
Darkness doesn't attract the light.
But light expels the dark.
Compassion.
Christ.

The people who sit in darkness have seen a great light,
And on those who sit in the region and shadow of death,
A light has dawned.” ~Matthew 4:16

~Unshakable Peace, Potential and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2


















No comments: