Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 16 ~ West Coast Rock Tour

~ 16th Day ~


Collided Compassion...Alpine Slides...Jamaica...Faith.


Tuesday was a day of being open to go where it was both joy-full and pain-full. We had places we planned to go, but there were other places the heart and mind would go that were unplanned.

Jenny had the day off of work, so I wanted to soak up as much time as possible with my beautiful friend. We decided to go ahead of the boys and grab some food at a cool restaurant, Purgy's, at the Durango Mountain Resort where the Alpine slides were located. The boys would meet us there later, but we wanted some one-on-one time to allow our conversation to dive deep the way girls can do with ease. We wasted no time getting our shovels dirty in the depths of past chapters of our life-stories.

Jenny's story is for her to share... but I will say I have much admiration for the way this courageous woman had traversed through mountains and valleys. She is determined to raise her son with integrity and love. She has carved out a path that is forged with the well-being of Austin in mind with each step taken. She learned a lot about how to be and how not to be from her family... the joy and sorrow of each chapter has shaped her to have compassion for others. Jenny is an amazing mother. I also pray she takes care of herself and knows her well-being is just as important.

The conversation was re-directed to follow up on a topic we started to discuss the first evening I arrived in Durango. This being human trafficking. It's interesting how things experienced along this journey have come back to land on the current path. Jenny had read about my time in Colorado Springs with The Exodus Road... it had flicked her antenna.

We picked up from where we left off, knowing we could talk about the reality of this dark topic in light of the intimate woman-to-woman atmosphere. Some conversations are easier without guys being present. I shared more about The Exodus Road Organization and what they are doing to help in the rescuing of these innocent ones. Jenny talked about how she had seen things in the restaurant/bar industry that she knew were situations of the sex industry. Grown men with young girls... and they weren't their daughters/nieces. She just knew something was not right, but she didn't know what to do in these situations. We talked about right/safe things we could do when we saw things that were wrong on so many levels. Jenny told me of her desire to adopt one of the many who are rescued from being sold for sex. With sadness in our eyes and frustration in our voices, we talked about difficulties of adopting these young ones and giving them a home where love doesn't come at a cost. Money is often the biggest issue with adoptions... and the price gets higher the further the country the child come from. But human trafficking and the need for children to go into safe homes is not just in foreign countries... it is right in our home towns (just not often as visible). I'm not trying to raise the level of fear/worry with you reading this, just wanting to raise awareness of things we often think are only distant country darkness. We are not helpless in helping those who are being enslaved. We can help fight this war and be part of the solution.

Though Jenny might not have the financial resources to adopt a child who has been snatched from slavery, I offered her other options to put her compassion to action. Along with Jenny, you and I can go to www.theexodusroad.com and click on one of the many ways we can be a part of the rescue. Raids and rescues are going on right now... young girls and boys are being freed from this heinousness. It's so awesome being a part of setting someone free... we all can play a role. If we all sacrifice a Starbucks coffee or footlong Subway sandwich this week and donate that money to this organization, this will lead to a child's freedom.
Invest in someone's future by sacrificing a sliver of pleasure.

Jenny and I were just about to dig our shovels into another plot of unfurrowed ground, when the boys came strolling up the stairs. This was a welcomed sight even though I wanted to listen to her thoughts on the matter at close range... guess we had traveled down enough past and present roads for the day (then again, more traversing would be done tonight). It was time for Rob and I to purchase tickets for the Alpine Slide.

We waited in line for over 30min and the ski lift ride took another 20min. This gave us amble time to talk and laugh about the past couple days. Rob is like a brother to me... no matter the time lapsed or distance between us, our hearts are forever connected.
  

Once our sleds were chosen at the top of the mountain, it was time to go down... much faster than the speed we went up. The guy directing the slides was a gnarly looking Coloradonian.... looked like he didn't make it down to the bottom of the mountain that often. He was coloring a hat with chalk. I aksed him what he was doing, and he told us that he and his friend make "Chalk Hats" which are colored (mostly scenic images) and sealed with a "secret concoction of sorts." He was an artist of "high" aspirations. There are things in Colorado that are legal... back in the day, I would have participated in these activities (and make some really "dope" chalk hats with this laid back guy.)

Chalk guy gave us the thumbs up to release the breaks on our sleds and we were off like skiing jack rabbits. I had told Rob he would not win in our race to the bottom... and I held to my promise. Rob will argue that his pace was slowed at one point on the track when a large prairie dog (that went under my slide) jumped over his slide and he would have hit the varmint if not for pulling the break. I still would have won even without the hurtling prairie dog. (Yes, we are just like brother and sister when it comes to competition!)

Jenny and Austin met us at the bottom and we all needed some liquid refreshment. I chose coffee... even though they didn't have an "iced" option. While in line to buy my cup of caffeine, I noticed 4 guys with caramel skin and dreadlocks.... undoubtedly Jamaican. Now don't go assuming I'm racist. This would be next to impossible being that my world's best friend is African American. But I will be honest that when I see a male who is Jamaican, that my mind goes back to an unpleasant experience I had in this tropical country. Do I need to go into detail... no. But what I will share is that when I was 18 and on a date with a local Jamaican guy, I was raped at the end of this, till then, fun night. I didn't tell anyone about it till many years later.

So seeing these four Jamaican guys was a fight not to go into "flashback" mode in the cafe. It's interesting how triggers are almost a daily part of my life, but they rarely lead to a panic attack anymore. I must admit, that this was one of those times that I had to silently say in my mind, "They are not the guy who did that back then." I consciously chose to interrupt the dark scene trying to play in my head by walking up close behind the Jamaican standing at the cash register counter. "I like your dreads... how long have you had them in?" (I really did like his hair... it was not a fake compliment.) He told me 10+ years, then he cut them, and grew them out again. I told him I had been to Jamaica years ago and it was an experience I'd never forget. That country is beautiful, but I had also seen some darkness. "Yea Mon" was his reply. "What brings you to Durango?" I said, growing more comfortable as my heartbeat slowed with each word exchanged. "We are on tour... our band, "Rootz Underground" is traveling the States for the next 2 months." Interesting, so was I... we smiled at each other and the commonality we shared, though we were sharing different things with others along our journey. Them, music... myself, rocks.

I walked out, coffee in hand, to meet up with my friends at the "High Hike Rope Course." I saw them standing by the course, but suddenly I didn't want to walk towards them.... I wanted to go back inside the cafe. There were 2 rocks in my purse (my backpack was left at the house). Pulling out one, I walked back inside and right up to the guys who were now all sitting. They looked a little perplexed as I crouched down and put my forearms on the edge of their table. "I just wanted to let you know that what you guys are doing is really cool. I was not a coincidence that our paths crossed here in Durango and maybe they will merge again in the next 2 months. I want to give you this "Joy" rock... we can chose to find joy in even the darkest times chapters of our lives when we view them as potential purpose to present and future chapters. Keep spreading love and joy through your music." They all reached out their gentle hands and I shook each one... I even gave Collin (the one who I met first) a side hug. I felt a sense of closure at that moment. Like I was, once again, forgiving the guy he was not, but looked similar to.

Now I could meet up with Rob, Jenny and Austin... 'cause the opportunity to climb a personal ropes course had been taken. We all have times when we are reminded of our past and we then have the choice to run from the reminder or walk towards it. Though sometimes it's better to avoid the potential panic attack, other times, there is opportunity to heal more of the wound when we face it. This will vary with each individual. For me, leaving a rock at a emotional place of pain, was worth the risk... and I'm grateful for "the courage to change the things I can." (Even if it was in a roundabout way.)

Austin successfully completed the high ropes course and we were all so proud of this little guy for doing it by himself. At one point, he looked down at the 3 of us and said, "You all have no idea how scary it is up here... I'm kinda freakin' out." Interestingly, he didn't look frightened as he maneuvered from one section to the next... but each of us show our actual emotions of experiences in different ways. Austin was glad to be down on stable ground, but I saw that he was proud to have done the course. And so were we of him to take the courageous risk.

We stopped at the grocery store on the way home to get ingredients for Jenny's amazing enchiladas. I saw Jamaican Collin and another band member, Joelle, walking downtown... and then Collin was in the store when we were checking out. I couldn't help but smile that our paths were coinciding again. I walk up next to him and put my hand on his shoulder while saying, "didn't think I'd see you again till some random place in Cali." He smiled and said they are taking the "Joy" rock on the rest of the tour with them. I too, felt joy.

Dinner back at the house was great... definitely ate one too many enchiladas, but knew I needed to stock up on home-cooked meals before I went back on the road. Rob, Jenny and I migrated (rather rolled our full bellies) to the back porch. We planned on watching a couple movies that evening, but we ended up talking on the porch for the next 3+ hours! I could write so much about those evening conversations, but the topics of Faith, creation, life after death, and prayer was the most important and intimate time the 3 of us had yet to have. It so cool how we can have different views, yet still agree on things. So often, people push their beliefs on others and become judgmental/critical of those who don't share the same faith. It's important to listen as much (or more) than we speak. Certainly, I prayed that seeds were planted, but trying to force those seeds to take root is not exemplary of God's gentleman-like invitation to choose Him to be one's King in their life. This long conversation was an absolute answer to prayer... to share about my journey of how I came to "cling to the Rock" as well as listen to where my friend's were at in their journeys. This back porch talk and meeting Katie Bug #2 (Caity Lou) were the main reasons for the Durango mission field. Everything else was a mere bonus.

After midnight, the conversation changed and I listened to Rob and Jenny talk some things out... it's good to voice things and even better when what is voiced is heard by the other. I was able to spend some time talking alone with Jenny and later still with Rob. It was now morning, but the need for sleep wasn't near as important as this quality time with each of them.

The next day I would pack Tumbler and leave Durango, a real bed, oatmeal and my sweet friends... to discover new places and new friends.

We all have past, dark chapters that have left painful reminders.
Often, those wounds are re-opened in the present day.
But triggers don't have to make us bleed again.
Sometimes, it's balm for more healing.
The risk is present courage...
For Joy in the journey.

~Unshakable Peace, Joy and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2


















No comments: