Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 30 ~ West Coast Rock Tour

~ 30th Day ~


Long Beach...Homeless Hangout...Reconnecting...Miss Ellis.


Everyday has rocked thus far, and though this day wasn't more awesome than any other, it was one that stands out with extra color. When I woke up in the parking lot that I'd finally found to be safe from being moved along, I didn't push the "snooze" button in my mind. Walked over to the coffee shop nearby and bought a large iced chai latte with little ice (so more of the tea could fill the cup). It was 8am and there was a high level of excitement brewing in my spirit. I sipped on the caffeine charge as I busted out a day post. I wasn't worried about being asked to move 'cause the stores were now open. After a couple hours, some bananas and Green Goddess Juice were purchased to place in my backpack. Long Beach was the mission field today and it would prove to be long day, but in an sweet way.

The beach wasn't far from where I'd finally crashed for the night and I found a parking spot on a side street 8 blocks from the ocean. Stopped at a Starbucks to grab another coffee, but it was a covert operation to talk to the Jamaican guy standing outside. He had a "One Love" loose, rasta hat on and when walking towards him, I said, "I like your hat, bro... did you know that Jesus loves you so much, man? He is the Ultimate Love." He said that he knew this now 'cause I just told him, and he smiled at me with some of the whitest teeth I'd seen. I went out to Tumbler to make him a rock, but when it was finished and I went back to give it to him, he was gone. God knew that he needed the message more than the rock.



Crossing a couple blocks North and the a few West, I found the park that I'd seen last night while doing a drive through. I often do this with mission fields that I'll be on the next day... kinda scoping things out and praying about the path that God wants me to walk. As was last night, there were a plethora of people congregating here. Later found out that most of these men and women live here 'cause the cops don't push them along when the sun goes down. It's like their city... the invisible walls keep them caged in as well as other (non-street) people out. This was totally my type of place and I knew there were several beautiful individuals whose stories I would hear.

Looking homeless myself, the looks I got were not one of unwelcomeness, but of "Who's the new chic?" Only looking forward, but seeing the few dozen people in my peripheral vision, I walked through the park and found my own little "studio apartment" near the back. Tossing my backpack down with extra umph (like I'd walked for miles) I sat down and then layed down with a look of exhaustion (also overemphasized). This was to make them feel more comfortable and not be suspicious... I looked like a fellow traveler in need of a resting place. When I sat up, several of the people gave me a smile and one even a peace sign. I was in... time to start scribing rocks and draw in their curiosity.


After the first rock was made, 2 guys came over from under the shade of a tree. They approached me and asked what I was doing. Telling them that I was making a rock for each of them, one of them said, "That's dope! But hey, could you draw a marker tatoo on my arm instead of doing it on a rock?" His name was Charles and he showed me almost all of his real tatoos as well as explanatins. He wanted it on his forearm and when I took his arm in my hands, I saw all the cutting scars. I placed my palm on them and said, "I feel you on this, bro... but your pain won't go away when you do this. It's just a tangible way of making your internal pain visible. I just met you, but I care about you, Charles. There is purpose in your pain, bro. God isn't causing it, but he sees your pain and He will give you the purpose in it. A little hint is that it isn't just about you." Charles pulled his arm out from my hands and threw both of them around me. He told me some of his story while I drew a cliff of courage on his arm... the scars as the backdrop.



The other guy in the wheelchair was Anthony, and he wanted a rock. I told him his rock still needed to be made, so they said they'd go to the store and come back. While they were gone, I made 3 more rocks but was called over to a group of people sitting on sleeping bags surrounded by their belongings. They were smoking pot and another pipe for a different drug was seen, but not smoked while I sat with them. They offered, but I declined with a "no thanks, my friends... I'm cool." The one I spoke with most was named Ben and he was the one who had flashed me the peace sign earlier. He asked me what I was doing over there and I told him. When he asked me to bring my backpack by them and write on them here, I declined again. Sitting with them wasn't a temptation, and I did want to talk more with the group, especially the girl, but this was not in God's plans. I try to be mindful of when God wants me to walk towards, stand, sit, or walk away. It was time for me to walk away and while saying "peace out" to the group, I asked Ben what word he would want more of and he said, "Love." Told him that was a great word and to come over and talk to me in a little while.

Back at my studio apt. another rock was scribed before Charles and Anthony came back from the store. Charles wanted to talk some more, but I moved over to Anthony's wheelchair and crouched by him so that this much quieter man would know that it was his time to speak. Whenever quiet people speak, their words are so powerful. Anthony was extremely intelligent and his words came out like poetry. We talked about his journey of how the streets and this park became his home. He is not the typical homeless man, for he is a wealth of talent, knowledge and compassion for the down-trodden, yet Anthony chooses to live on the streets. I had him choose a rock that spoke to him and a "Press Through" rock was picked up and held with a fragility that was a contrast to his outside appearance. We can never judge a book by its cover... or a person by their outward appearance. Anthony had a deep tenderness.

My 2 new friends then walked away saying, "You'll always be safe in this park from now on, 'cause we'll both take care of you. No one will hurt you." I trusted God to continue protecting me, but it's always an added bonus when there's people looking out for you as well. Still, I wouldn't be there much longer, but Ben still needed to receive his rock.


He wandered over 10mins later and though I still had one more letter to scribe on his "Love" rock. He asked if he could sit with me while I finished it and I patted the cement I was sitting on. Ben has a story that most would question, but he had no reason to lie to me. He told me about his family back in Mexico, things he's battled in the past and that which he is still struggling with. I finished the rock pretty quick, but didn't want to interrupt his stream of sharing. Ben needed someone to simply listen. He asked me some questions and my answers were frankly honest and laced with as much truth and love as I could ooze out onto his dry heart's soil. When there was a pause in the conversation, I handed him his rock. He told me his eyes were all messed up and even though he couldn't see well, he saw the red word drawn on his rock. I prayed he saw...and felt...the unconditional love of Jesus as well. We embraced and he asked when I'd be passing through again. Told him I wasn't sure, but to never forget that God will never leave him or let him go. Big smile on both our faces. It was time to move on.

The next hour was spent walking down towards the ocean and on the boardwalk that has restaurants and shops lining one side and the ocean on the other. This was a beautiful prayer walk as well as a time to process the day thus far. Gratitude, humility, and complete awe of God flooded me. I sat down on a bench that was located on the sidewalk that followed the ocean's edge. Scribed a few rocks to later be handed out, and then walked back to Tumbler. I was quite tired and easily could have taken a nap, but chose to crank up the new Hillsong CD and do some writing. I was half-way through the post when I my old friend Jennifer commented on my location status and told me she worked in Long Beach. Sweetness! We made plans to meet for dinner at 4:30, so this gave me another hour to write. I finished the day post in the nick of time before I had leave to meet her.


We met at Los Compadres, this fabulous Mexican restaurant. It was such an overflow of joy to re-connect with Jenny after years of not seeing her. I was deep in my addiction the last time I saw her, and we had so much to catch up on. Jenny has completely changed her life... re-dedicating it to God who created her with unique talents and gifts. She has been to Uganda many times and will go back again. She mostly works with the youth and uses her entrusted talent of singing and playing the guitar as well as her personal story to share the love of Jesus with people of all ages there. Her heart is pure and faithful to doing whatever God has planned for her daily journey. She was such an encouragement to me and I value her passion for compassion. We could have talked through the night, but she had to get back to work. Grateful for the hour we had, we talked about when we'd next see each other... whether in the states or in Africa. I had made a "faith" rock for her and little did I know (but God certainly did) that the word and even the shape of the rock would be a confirmation of something she had prayed for months ago. God doesn't work in mysterious ways... He just works, all the time.

Back in Tumbler, I made some phone calls and fiddled on the computer to catch up on what some of my friends were posting on FB. With all the writing I'd been doing, I haven't been able to go to other people's pages and read about how to pray for them. A general prayer for my friends, individually and collectively, is heard, but I like to intercede in specific ways when I'm able. It was over an hour later before I drove away from Long Beach. Not knowing where I would end up that night, I drove a ways towards LA and then typed in "Walmart" into the GPS. Surprised at how far the nearest one was, I shrugged and started following the purple highlighted route. We landed in an area called Crenshaw and if you ask me where exactly that is located, no answer could be given. But what I could tell you is that their Walmart is located in a large mall and the store has 3 floors ( I got totally lost there when I went in for a new sheet for my backseat and a towel... funny story of why I needed them, but you won't get to read that). I also bought a plant for the cab of Tumbler. The good thing...I thought...about the mall was that the parking lot was massive and it completely surrounded the mall. Hopefully this would enable me to not repeat last night's excursion. I'll write about tonight's sleeping re-arrangements in the next post. After shopping in the 3-story Wally World, Tumbler and I were ready to settle in for the night. It was around 10:30 and the mall had just closed.



God had been orchestrating all the hours of this day that led up to this moment, and because He doesn't sleep, we should always be prepared for last minute assignments that God has for us to do before we lie down to sleep. Honestly, I didn't see this one coming, but that is what made it extra special.

I was about to crawl in Tumbler's backseat, when I saw a few things that needed to be thrown away. "Ah, I can do that in the morning." But why put off for tomorrow what can be done today, right!?!? So I got out and walked to the trashcan that was not exactly close by. When I turned around, I saw a woman walking by me and her pace was one of short, quick steps. She was carrying 3 Walmart bags, but one was full of empty cans and bottles... recyclables. She was dressed nicely and didn't appear to be homeless, though something didn't settle well with me by the way she was walking. It was as if she was frightened or rattled in some way. Her back was to me as I started walking back to my truck, but then she suddenly turned around and looked right at me. "Ma'am, do you have 90 cents I could have?" Strange amount to ask for, I told her my truck was way in the distance. She said she would follow me, and she did. I asked her if she was okay and she answered with a machine gun of words. She told me so much that I don't remember it all. The bottom line was that she was in need of help and I could help her with what I felt led to do.



Her name was Miss Ellis. She kept talking about her grave situation of falling on hard time as I went into my purse and pulled out a bill... and a rock from my backpack. When I tried to put the money in her hand, I told her that I also had a rock for her. Pushing the bill away, she said, "I want the rock... please give me your rock." When I handed it to her and told her what was on it, she broke down and started sobbing... uncontrollably. I held her for awhile and continued to speak softly in her ear. Miss Ellis was in need to slow down and feel whatever emotions she was running from. Her rock said "When you feel like letting go, don't give up. Rather, cling to the Rock." After she stopped sobbing, the tears where still rolling down her face, and she said, "God sent you to me tonight. And this rock you have given me is something that is priceless. You were sent by God Himself." I then handed her the bill. When she saw the amount, she started crying again. Again, she went into my arms. I told her that God had switched my rocks... from crack rocks to the Rock that he is, and this ministry is an extension of His love. The money was the amount God wanted me to give her. "You are not alone, Miss Ellis... God has not abandoned you." She started sobbing again and the truth was told. "I have to be honest with you cause you have such a glow on you right now that I know God is speaking directly through you. I wasn't asking for 90 cents for bus transportation. I was going to buy a bottle of alcohol and I needed a dollar more. You see, I used to be addicted to crack cocaine for years, but I got clean almost a year ago. I was doing so well, but then it all started to fall apart with my finances, car and family. Tonight, I wanted a drink cause I felt like giving up on it all. But you have reminded me of why I got clean... to help other people. Look, I have goose bumps! Thank you for showing me kindness and for reminding me that I'm not alone 'cause God is my rock. I'm going to carry this rock with me wherever I go to remind me of this. I'm not going to drink tonight... I'm never going back to that old me ever again." Another long hug and more tears, she then picked up her bags and walked away. I truly hoped the words she was saying will be Miss Ellis' reality. Humbled and amazed at what God had lined up, I sat in Tumbler and started praying for this lady as she walked away. All of a sudden, she fell to her knees in the parking lot, dropped the bags and lifted both her hands in the air. I could hear her moaning and praising God. Her head would bow, then she would look up to the sky, all the while moaning and shouting praises to God. I kept praying and was praising God with her. Not sure how long she was on her knees like this, put I saw a few cars pass by her and look to see what she was doing, but Miss Ellis didn't notice them... her heart and mind were vertically on God, her Rock and Redeemer, her stronghold in this season and the ones to come.



I realize this is a longer than usual post (and they normal are long), but the conversations/interactions/assignments today needed to be shared. And the glory, honor and praise go straight to our awesome and sovereign King. He is the reason we are allowed to witness his great and mighty works. He is the essence of our every moment, the giver of every breath, the creator of all things bright and beautiful. Please invite him in your heart today if you haven't already made your heart His home. It's so simple... just believe that Jesus, our Savior, died for you cause He loves you and wants you to be His son or daughter. The God of this universe sees you and loves you... He wants to be your Rock and Rescuer. Tell Him that you need Him 'cause you can't do it on your own. You have tried so many things, and they all leave you feeling empty. Jesus will fill your void. Ask him to forgive you for running from Him and for doing things that are wrong. He will help you if you ask Him for help and are willing to let Him direct your path. God loves you. He wants to be your best friend. You won't have to fear dying 'cause that last day here in this temporary world will be the first day you spend seeing Him face to face in Heaven. You can know where you are going, but you have to ask him to come into your heart. My friends, this is the most important paragraph of this whole post. I'm smiling so wide at the thought of at least one of you doing this for the first time. Or maybe one of you is re-dedicating your life and heart to our awesome God. I'm praying for you to drop your bags and lift up your hands in surrender and praise.

~Unshakable Peace, Love and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2
















No comments: