Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 22 ~ West Coast Rock Tour


~ 22cd Day ~


Lazy Morning...Writing and scribing...Catching up...Movie Night.


This day was not like the rest of this trip. Today was all about catching up on a variety of things. There is not much to write about this day, for most of this day was spent writing.

Last night, my cousin and I talked about going for a morning walk, but she let me sleep in 'cause she knew I was tired. Deep and undisturbed sleep needed to be caught up on. The past few nights were spent in the back seat of Tumbler and though it's surprisingly comfortable, the guest bed at Brianne's house was a down comforter on top of a mattress... and I was grateful she had not roused me before I woke up on my own after 10am.



Brianne had gone to work out, so I talked with my aunt while enjoying a bowl of oatmeal and a strong cup of iced coffee that my cousin had made the night before. She had a french press... brown sugar and cinnamon was added to the coffee grounds, then chilled in the refrigerator overnight. Super yummy and just what I needed to get me going for the day. I'm not one who needs a cup of coffee to function in the morning, but I still really love a cup of happiness whenever it's offered.



Today's plan of attack was not taking the Rock ministry to the streets of Redlands... though there would be an opportunity to do this tomorrow. I needed to catch up on "day posts" since I was still in Durango, CO on FB and my blog sight. A lot had happened since I left Colorado and made it to California... that's part of the reason I was falling behind in testifying about the awesomeness God was allowing me experience. Each post takes an average of 2 or 2.5 hours to compose and create, and I wanted to write two of them today. With my MiFi down, and my cousin's internet service not hooked up since she had just recently moved, I walked over to my Uncle Wally and Aunt Sandy's house where they had a modem I could tap into. I spent the next 6 hours there... in Brianne's old bedroom and on the balcony that overlooked the backyard with a built in jacuzzi, which I cleaned and ran for an hour. 




This house is a gem. The layout has to been seen rather than described, but I will say that many of the doors lead to places that you wouldn't have guessed. There are more than one stairways that lead to multiple rooms. It's a maze of sorts. The house is decorated by my aunt, and she has a style of her own that I love.

I had been to this house over 4 years ago... but in a much different state of mind. When my parents came out to rescue me in Santa Barbara, CA to take me back to a rehab in IL, the three of us stopped at my aunt and uncle's house for a quick visit. I have only a foggy recollection of this, 'cause a large bottle of vodka had been secretly purchased right when we arrived in Redlands. I had wanted to be rescued and taken back home to what would be my 6th of 8 rehabs, but I wasn't entirely ready to stop "running and numbing." There was an overwhelming sense of gratitude and joy as I was in this house again... and would remember every moment with clarity and freedom from the stronghold of alcohol/drugs.

The sun was shining and I caught some stellar pictures from the balcony in between writing as well as scribing a couple rocks. Even if it were raining outside, my heart would still be full of the joy and unconditional love of Jesus... the God's Son (shining like the sun) who was the reason my life has been forever changed.



The buzzing of my phone and text from my cousin told me dinner was ready back at her house. I closed down my laptop, put my Sharpie markers away, and ran (literally) to my temporary home away from home. I felt like a little kid whose mother had rang the dinner bell... prompting a full out run to the supper table. Food had not been injested since the oatmeal I had that morning, so my stomach was also glad for the reminder to eat.



My cousin, aunt and I watched a movie that had been recommended but we, ourselves, would not recommend it to anyone after watching it. Though it did make me ponder a few things... like the variety of family dysfunctions and that every family (and individual) has a unique dysfunction of their own. We often look at another family and think, "Wow, they sure are messed up." But might we have blinders on to the mess in our own family and personal life. All of us struggle with something... some things more visible than others. Maybe that's a bond we all share: That we all are dysfunctional in some way or another. Which brings us to another thing we have in common... the need for a Rescuer, Restorer, Redeemer and Rock. We all struggle on this path and journey of life on earth. And there is a Way-Maker who can make our paths straight (or at least, straighter). Tomorrow would hold an opportunity to point a wayward man in a different direction than he was choosing to travel. Every day holds enough struggle and joy of it's own. It was time get some sleep for tomorrow would hold this truth.

Every individual and their family have struggles and strongholds.
Some are seen clearly and others hide in the secret closets.
It's not the struggle that makes us different from another.
It's our response to the other person's struggle.
If there was less judging and more loving,
Might there be less people struggling?
Let the Rescuer in your heart today.
He surely sees your struggle.
Yet He still loves you.
Unconditionally.



~Unshakable Peace, Faith and Purpose~
cling to the Rock 
Psalm 18:1-2





















No comments: