Monday, February 5, 2018

Day 32 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 32 ~

Tallahassee…Kristin…Shelter Experience…Gratitude.

I had a little under half a tank of gas when pulling away from the Wilson’s home last night. Not knowing where I was traveling to, but thinking it wouldn’t be very far, I didn’t fill up my tank in Panama City. Surely, I would come to other gas stations along the coastal Panhandle stretch. The scenic drive was beautiful and breathtaking even in the moonlit night. The road took me through straightaways and curves that hugged the ocean. The speed zones mainly ranged from 30-45mph. Tumbler didn’t mind the slow drive as his tires purred on the newly paved road. All of the towns were quaint and charming… where locals fish for food every day and people come to park their RVs for a day or two. At 10:30pm, my gas gauge had dropped to under a quarter tank. I started looking for a gas station. I found many in the next hour, but none of them were open. The small, fishermen’s towns were dark and the pumps were down till the sun would come up. The “low fuel” alarm dinging, I patted Tumbler’s dash, “We’ll make it through, buddy.” Passing several other dimly lit stations, we came to a fork in the road, one way continuing along the coast, the other way headed back towards Tallahassee. I had already passed Alligator’s Point and gone around most of Apalachee Bay, so to go up to Florida’s capital was somewhat backtracking. But I needed gas and had to take the risk of finding a town that didn’t shut down before midnight. God definitely stretched the fumes of fuel that rolled Tumbler into gas station just outside Tallahassee. His parched tank was fully quenched and I plugged in “Walmart Supercenter” into my GPS. Once the nearest one was reached, I crawled in the backseat at 12:30am. I was tired from the busy, sunny day and moonlit driving.

The alarm on my phone had not been set. The hot sun woke me up at 10am. Breakfast and morning routine complete, Tumbler made the short trek to Tallahassee. We drove around the downtown area for a while and then made our way through the roads of several colleges. Fathers and mothers walked with their young adult kids who were taking tours of the campuses. The parents looked more excited than the kids who were going to be starting 4 more years of school all over again. It’s one thing to be a Freshman, it’s another to be a Freshman at a new school. I think we adults have “Freshman moments” all throughout our journey… uncharted, awkward, tentative moments.

Wanting to find the town’s rescue mission or shelter, I stopped at a store in hopes of finding an attendant who knew the area. It was here that I met Kristin. She was a college student at Florida State University who was getting her major in Sociology. When I questioned her about the homeless population and where they typical congregate, she told me about a tent city hidden somewhere in the capital’s landscape. “If you find it, let me know. I really want to go there and study the people.” I was interested as well, but I never did find this top-secret tent city. Went out to my truck and made Kristin a “We all have a story” rock. We didn’t talk more than 15min, and this would be the longest conversation I would have with a human today.


To no avail, I searched for the tent city as well as the mission that Kristin had said was on Pensacola Avenue. “God, do you just want me to drive around today? I’m cool with that, but people are cool too. Hint, hint.” I kept driving. When a road took me into another college campus (there are several big ones in Tallahassee), I spotted a suburban police car patrolling one of the parking lots. Back in the days, I would high-tailed it away from any sighting of a cop, but now I have a fresh perspective of these men and women in blue and black uniforms. I drove up to him and waved my hand out Tumbler’s window. Officer Dan rolled down his window. “This might be a weird question, but…” He cut me off and said, “I’ve heard it all. What do ya want to know?” --- “Where are the dark parts of this town? I want to go there to hand out rocks… like actual stones. Do you know of a hidden tent city? Or is there a rescue mission here?” Officer Dan was in his mid-forties. He had been a police officer for many years. “I mainly patrol the college campuses. There is enough darkness in these areas. Regarding the tent city, I have heard of it, but don’t know where it is. There is a shelter here that is on Pensacola Ave.” He gave me the address and explained how the street stopped but then started back up again several blocks away. Officer Dan was given a “Grow Every Day” rock.


The shelter was found and I parked half a mile away. There were some men doing softball batting sessions in 2 adjacent baseball fields. Kids were practicing their flips and grinds in a skateboard park. And there was a nearby parking lot that had been converted into a crotch rocket motorcycle track where various adrenaline junkies were doing lengthy pop-a-wheelies and making turns so low their elbows touched the pavement. It was awesome… and loud. I watched them for a little while and thought of many people who would have been all over this rare display before me.

The hike to the mission gave me time to pray before entering the territory that was far different than the fun-loving, sport-fanatic area less than a mile away. I passed people getting high in the wooden announcer’s booths of vacant baseball fields, men with such a lostness in their eyes, and women with hardened faces. Some didn’t notice me, their heads downcast. Others saw me and just stared. Some mean-mugged me. It was made very apparent that I was a new face… and not welcomed. Walked up to a guy standing by a bush in the front of the shelter. “Hey bro, do they serve dinner here?” He looked me up and down, then jutted his chin towards the front door. I took that as a yes. When I went inside, it reminded me more of a dingy jail than a shelter. There was a large front office area with huge glass windows. All of the walls were dirty grey. There was a flat nylon rope that formed a line where people were standing single file to wait their turn to get patted down and then scanned with a metal detector wand. Their bags went through an x-ray machine and they then walked through an upright metal detector. It was loud in the front area. I clutched my backpack straps and kept my head down, while my eyes looked left and right, taking it all in. I wasn’t cold, but my muscles were tense with the coldness in the atmosphere. The residents cussed and complained as they waited in line. The security staff were gruff and curt. “Next!” It was my turn to walk up. “Bags down. Arms up.” --- “Umm, this is my first time here.” --- “You have to go to the front desk. Then get back in line to come through. Next!” I went over to the said area and stood in front of the glass cage that held 8-10 staff members. I stood there for a while and no one noticed me. Finally, a lady came over and slid up a tiny window. “What do you want?” --- “I’m new here. Was wondering if I could get something to eat and maybe talk with someone.” I truly was hungry and wanted to eat dinner with the people. I also wanted to talk with someone about the shelter and ask some questions. And of course, leave 1-5 rocks once inside. The lady could have been a relative of the security staff, for her demeanor was very similar… gruff and curt. With no emotion, she asked me for my name, birth date, and if I had an ID. I gave her the first two things, and said I didn’t have an ID. In a monotone voice she asked, “What services do you need?” --- “I would like to talk with someone. And I’m hungry.” The other staff in the office were all talking loudly and laughing. One of them yelled to the lady at the window and then started laughing. “Wait here.” And so I did… for almost 5min. The lady joined the others in their rambunctious conversation. I’m all for joking around and making your job fun, but there is a time and a place for it. While waiting, I thought of the fact that I was sound-minded and stable. I didn’t need the help I was asking for… I was okay. But what if I wasn’t? What if I was a young woman who had just been raped, or had just left her abusive boyfriend/husband, or was suicidal? I was fine… but what if I wasn’t? What if I truly needed to talk with someone right then and there or better yet, taken to another less quiet room to unload what I was carrying. I wasn’t that young woman who needed help, but the staff, cackling inside the glass cage, didn’t seem to care. I took a few steps back from the window. The staff lady was leaning against a distant desk and talking with the others. She didn’t notice that I walked myself back out the front doors.

I share this experience not to shame this particular mission nor to shun the staff. My experience here and with the staff may not have been what is common to others who come in the doors for the first time. The security staff might have received a bad phone call an hour earlier, the staff might have had 57 other things on their minds and laughing was a coping mechanism to deal with the stress of the shelter, and the lady who tended to me might have simply forgot that I was waiting at the window. While making the trek back to where Tumbler was parked, I was grateful that I had a truck to sleep in tonight, that I wasn’t strung out on crack, that I was no longer prostituting, that I was still healing from past rapes and abuse, and that there had been shelters I went to when I was in need of help that had staff who was attentive and loving and taken me to quiet back rooms where I would unpack the heavy things I was carrying at the time.

I thought of these things as I drove away from the shelter and out of Tallahassee. Bright gratitude flowed through my heart while dark memories flooded my mind. It was a juggling act of opposing emotions. I drove to Jacksonville, Florida and found a Walmart hotel. Sleep did not come easy. My mind was a battlefield. But grace and gratitude eventually won the fight.

We can go back to our past chapters.
To remember, to reflect, to recall the darkness.
But be guarded so as to come back to the present page.
May the past remind us of how far we have come.
And Who has carried us through it all.
Every chapter holds purpose.

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock
Psalm 18:1-2





No comments: