Friday, February 2, 2018

Day 29 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 29 ~

Panama City…Cindy…Shower and Bed.

I slept 12 hours straight without moving once. It’s amazing how comfortable the backseat of Tumbler is… especially when you are tired. I often have people ask me if I sleep well in my truck. Friends, when you have slept on concrete floors, under bushes, on benches, and under bridges, anything with some padding (i.e. a carpet, couch, backseat, or bed), is a major upgrade. Remember it taking me a while to get used to sleeping in a bed after times on the streets. To this day, I prefer sitting on floors rather than couches or chairs. I feel safer and It grounds me… in more ways than one.

Today would be one of many upgrades from the norm of traveling. I drove from Miramar Beach to Panama City. My friend, Cindy Wilson and her husband Al lived here. Cindy and I had been texting throughout the past few days about merging paths when their home mission field was reached. We made contact as Tumbler was parked at the town’s library. I oscillated the notion of hitting the city streets or heading to their home… the latter was chosen. It had been a week and a half since being with the Careb’s in Mission, TX where my heart could rest with safe friends and my body could be washed and laid clean in a real bed. I was in need of these things after being on the road and streets for so many consecutive days.


When pulling up to the Wilson’s sprawling ranch house, I let out a deep sigh… Tumbler and I were now at a home away from home. Cindy greeted me in the driveway and our embrace made up for the years since we last saw each other. Oh, how good it was to be here with a good woman, with a great heart, with a greater faith in God. My backpack was brought inside and the two of us migrated to the cozy couch. We spent the next 2hrs here, filling each other in on our families and talking about Al and Cindy’s past 5 years in Panama City. I knew the Wilson’s from a church back in Woodstock. Cindy was the worship leader there, and I remember her sweet voice that sang songs I still listen to today. She has a worshipper’s heart… always has, always will. While on the couch, Cindy shared her testimony of surrendering her heart to Jesus when she was a younger adult. I had never known these chapters of her story, and I was fascinated by the details she described. We talked much about “living with intention” … being intentional with the details of each gift of another day. Though I was tired from the past few days, my mind was awake and attentive. People’s stories are like strong cups of coffee.

A small load of laundry was put in the washing machine, and it was time for myself to take a much-needed wash. The hot shower was not rushed. Nor was the rest of the afternoon that was spent writing in the spare bedroom. It was so good to be in a setting that allowed for emotions to be felt while writing out my experiences of one of the full days in New Orleans. I was still processing my time there… feeling the pain of people such as Spider, Pretty, Jaime, No One, and Frenchie. But with the beautiful burden, also came the hope I carried for each of them. Sometimes one has to have hope for someone who has hope deferred. I wrote about my time in the French Quarters and when my laptop was closed 5hrs later, more had taken place in that time than mere writing… much of what I was carrying was placed at the feet of the Savior, in whom our only hope is found.

Pizza was ordered, and for being in Florida, it did well at tasting somewhat like that distinct Chicago pizza. Al had come home from work and the three of us talked on the couches into the evening. Their dog, Bear, and I would become good buddies while here. I love that dog. The Wilson’s provided so much more than a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, a load of clean clothes, and a needed shower… they provided fellowship. True, unfiltered, deep quality connection. I would spend the next 2 days in Panama City, and it would become a mission field that would deepen my bond with Cindy as well as cultivate new bonds with those who did not have a home, clean clothes, or a shower for days.
 


Hope for Today.

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock
Psalm 18:1-2








No comments: