Monday, February 5, 2018

Day 31 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 31 ~

Mia...Monty…Cajun…Brandon…Moving On.

Woke up refreshed and recharged from yesterday. Last night had not ended with Little Cheyanne. The car that the young girl and her mother live in, had taxied Jay, Shoshane, Milton and myself back to McKenzie park. We were packed in like sardines and I snapped a picture of all of us… mainly so I could capture my little cat-loving buddy’s face that smiled wider than any of us. At 6pm every Tuesday and Thursday, a different church comes to a nearby parking lot and sets up tables with a spread of homemade food. One or more people will share a short message of hope and encouragement derived from God’s Word and then the feast begins… they feed the homeless in several ways.

After talking with Cindy that morning, I headed back to McKenzie Park. It was there and then that I met Mia. She has been coming to the park every day from 11am to noon for the past 3 weeks. She had a large container stacked with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grocery bags full of chips and cookies, and a large cooler of hot chocolate. People were coming up to her, receiving the food with gratitude, then would head back to their designated benches. I crouched down 20ft away from her portable café to observe the small, Korean lady. She noticed me and came over with the rectangular container. “Jesus loves you. Would you like a sandwich?” I smiled and grabbed one. “Take two. I have plenty.” --- “I’m good with one. Thank you, ma’am.” --- “My name is Mia. Jesus loves you.” She walked over to pour a cup of hot chocolate and came back to hand it to me. Most of those in the park had already gotten fed and did not stick around Mia’s bench. I had her to myself for the next 20min. Asking her specific questions, Mia was open with her story of being swept in to the washing love and grace of Jesus. She had come from South Korea 25 years ago and had experienced the deception and betrayal of her now ex-husband. She told me how she had become a Christian while married and she didn’t want to get divorced, but felt she couldn’t live with someone who was not the man she thought she married. Mia’s faith in God had grown to new depths as she grieved the loss of the man she loved. “Jesus loved me through the pain and betrayal. I love my Savior so much. And now I just want to share that love with others. I come to this park to feed people, and want them to know how much Jesus loves them.” Mia’s heart is purely motivated by love… for Jesus and for the homeless people in the park. I made her a specialized rock and whispered words in her ears as she hugged me. Each tear she had cried over the years and each tear she cried while we embraced, were collected by Jesus. Psalm 56:8 says, “You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.” This is true for Mia. This is you for every one of us.

I walked into the center courtyard of the park and sat down on an empty bench. A guy I had seen yesterday came over to sit with me. His name was Monty. Through my observations, I had pegged him as a surfer and skater. This was confirmed as we talked in the park that was not far from the Oceanside. Monty grew up in an apartment over a skate and surf shop. He had met some of those who are famous for both sports. He had left home at a young age and traveled along the coast for most of his life. Monty and I were close in age and we used much of the same lingo in our language. After a while, I asked him what word he needed most. Giving him time in his pause, he then said, “Love.” I went over to the gazebo and sat by myself, scribing L-O-V-E on the smooth rock. Another rock was started and a man walked over with a large backpack that had two gnarly Aztec blankets, one strapped on top and one on the bottom. “Dude, those blankets are dope.” --- “Yeah, I’ve had many things stolen from me in my life, but these here I keep a close eye on. My name is Wayne, but they call me Cajun. Can I sit with you for a bit?” Nodding, he sat down against one of the gazebo’s cement columns. Cajun was a traveler who also stayed mainly along the coast. He loved fishing and often would hook up with local fishermen in the towns he landed in. They would hire him for a few days till he would move to the next coastal city. Cajun felt more at home on a boat than on the land. We had both traveled to similar states and cities, so we had much to talk about. Monty came over and gave me a small bag full of travel shampoo, body wash and soap. I gave him his “Love” rock. Good trade. Cajun saw the rock and complimented me on the straight lines. Asking him what word he needed, he too, paused, and then said, “Peace. I haven’t had peace in a long time.” So, a “Peace” rock was made for Cajun, the fisherman without a home. I pray that in his travels, Cajun will set sail with Jesus, the Prince of Peace.

The journey to the mission was made at 2pm. I was a couple blocks from the yellow building when a young guy rode his black with red rims bicycle up from behind me. “Hey, do you know where there is a mission here in Panama City” --- “Yeah bro, it’s right there” I said, pointing ahead. “Sweet, I’m so tired of riding my bike. You going there?” I nodded. His name was Brandon. He had ridden his bike from Louisiana. The story he told me as he walked his bike next to me to the mission, was unbelievable, but I believed every word that Brandon told me. We would spend the next 4 hours together. He wasn’t the typical homeless guy I had met throughout my own travels. Brandon was one of those rare guys who had become homeless due to tragic circumstances. He didn’t use drugs or struggle with mind-binding spirits. He was 37, in good health, handsome, and trying to find a steady job to get off the streets he had been living on for only 2 weeks. In that short time, he had experienced the struggle to survive… slept in places he never dreamed of sleeping, been so cold he stole the first thing in his life (a blanket), and been so hungry that he would eat about anything. Welcome to the streets, buddy. But I knew Brandon would pull through and with the heart, mind and body he had, he would not be on the streets much longer. Still, he would never forget this chapter of his life-story.

We went into the day shelter and he was introduced to Christopher’s big heart. Brandon got an ID as well as got plugged into the work program for men. He would sleep at the shelter for 5 nights, they would assist him in getting a Florida ID, and then the staff would help him find a job upon which he would start living in the men’s program dorm. He would give them a small percentage of his work’s checks, and the rest would be saved for when he had enough to get his own place. I had found a chair that had a wall behind it and Brandon came over to sit in the chair next to me. He was so stoked. Letting out a deep sigh and smiling so wide, he reached over and hugged me. “This is the first time I have some hope in this whole messed up situation. I pulled out the “Hope” rock I had made yesterday in the park and handed it to my new friend. We celebrated his induction into the hall of hope with a bar of cranberry dark chocolate he had in his backpack and a few slices of soft multigrain bread I had in my backpack. Christopher gave us the Love hand gesture from across the room.

Brandon and I talked on the dated floral chairs for the next hour. When the day shelter closed, we migrated to the back side of the building where we waited for them to open the doors of the chapel. We checked on his bicycle that was poorly secured with a cheap lock on the side of the shelter. Many new faces came up to us and introduced themselves, most wanting cigarettes or simply curious as to the “new boy and girl on the block”. Brandon and I would tell each of them that we were only friends, but the others would just smirk at the two of us who had bonded so quickly that it was apparently visible to the onlookers. We also saw Jay, Shoshane, Monty, Carol, Steve, Pepe Le Pew, and Milton. When dinner was finally served, I watched Brandon eat the turkey, rice, baked beans, apple sauce and bear-claw donut on his own tray, and then go back for seconds of the heaping food. My friend was hungry… and worn down tired. The turkey’s tryptophan took his tiredness to another level as we continued to talk at the table after our meal.

We had 30min before Brandon would need to be in the mission to stay there for the night. The two of us walked outside and around the front of the building to sit on the sidewalk that faced the street. Our backs leaning against the yellow, concrete wall, I felt led to share the whole truth with Brandon…. That I was temporarily homeless, but by choice. He listened intently as I told him about Jesus, our Rock and Redeemer. When I handed him a few $20 bills, Brandon started to cry. “You are the second person in 2 weeks that has helped me without asking. I really needed to meet someone like you today. You gave me that Hope rock, and that’s what I need right now. I believe you when you say that God is for me, not against me.” We stood up and hugged without letting go while time and cars went by. There is no doubt in my mind that Brandon’s story of tribulation and triumph was going to impact people down the road. He had already impacted mine.


Part of me wanted to stay a day or two more just to spend more time with Brandon as well as my other new friends, but I knew it was time to move on. I went back to the Wilson’s house that night and talked with them till Al went to bed. Cindy and I continued talking for another hour, and then my pillow was put back inside Tumbler. I patted him on the hood. “Get ready to hit the road in 5 minutes, buddy.” Cindy prayed over me as her arms were wrapped around my shoulders. It had been so valuable to have this safe home base while here and this faith-based friend to soak up quality time with. God is writing such an amazing story with Cindy… An intentional song of trust.


“Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
And lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways, acknowledged Him.
And He will make your paths straight.”
~Proverbs 3:5-6

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock

Psalm 18:1-2

No comments: