Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Day 42 ~ South Coast Rock Tour

South Coast Rock Tour
~ Day 42 ~

Daytona Day 1…Morning Men…Homeless Coalition…Meeting.

I would have slept in till mid-morning at the Walmart hotel, though my left eye opened half way at voices next to Tumbler early in the sun’s morning light. Propping myself up on my elbow, the heads of two men were seen standing next to the driver’s side window. One of the guys saw my movement in the back seat and waved at me, more out of involuntary awkwardness than voluntary greetings. My normal routine of folding blankets and arranging my pillow and bedding in an organized stack was forewent as I crawled up to the front seat. The guy softly knocked on the window and I rolled it down halfway. “Sorry miss, we didn’t know you were sleeping and weren’t trying to wake you up. I’m Zack and this is Mike. I just got out of jail yesterday and Mike and I are starting a tree removal business. You have a sweet truck here. Want to make some money and haul palm branches with us?” I am not a morning person. It usually takes me a good 15min to grease up the bearings of my mind before I even want to have a “Good morning… did you sleep well?” conversation with someone I know, let alone talk about a business proposition with two strangers after 1min of waking up. Trying to tame my morning beach hair, I said, “Dude, no worries about waking me, but give me a couple minutes to eat a banana and have a smoke. I’m interested in hearing more of your and Mike’s story though.” I expected ringleader Zack to take a few steps back to give me those couple minutes to wake up, but no, he stood next to the window smiling as he watched me peel the banana. Silently, I thought, “Ok God, let’s jump out and do this.” I grabbed my flip flops under the seat and opened the door. Offering the guys cigarettes, they smoked while my breakfast was eaten. Zack started talking about his business idea and Mike sat next to me quietly. I wasn’t interested in becoming a three-way partner in the potential tree company, but I was interested in how Zack and Mike had landed in Daytona in a Walmart parking so early in the morning. Zack told me the story as Mike tried to add details of the short chapter of their friendship but kept getting cut off by Zack. Both had struggled with heroine in the past and both were now clean. This was the nitty gritty that finally allowed Mike to share more of his story. We sat on the cement curb as the sun’s brightness intensified and the tree behind us cast shade and shadows over us. Zack kept trying to bring up the potential work we could do together, but I kept steering away back to the deeper topics. Two rocks were pulled from Tumbler later on and Zack was given “Embrace the Brokenness” and Mike a “Press Through” rock. Mike said, “Wow, Katie. I saw a distinct light on you from the beginning, but now I see that the Lord is truly with you. I love the Bible reference on the back of this rock. I’ll look it up later. I got Psalm 144:1 tattooed on my hand here. ‘Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.’ God has enabled me to fight so many mental and spiritual battles in my life. Thank you for the ‘Press Through’ rock.” A black Sharpie marker was pulled out and I retraced the faded tattoo lines on Mike’s hand. I had done the same with Shaggy back in Savannah, and there would be more tracing of tattoos as well as original Sharpie tattoos down the journey’s path. Mike gave me a pencil sketch that he had drawn and Zack gave me his phone number to call if I changed my mind about the business proposition. We all took selfies of the three of us, the guys with their phones, and I with my camera. We hugged and then all went about our day. It was a sudden morning awakening, but the hour spent with Zack and Mike was purpose-full.


Tumbler drove to the library and parked out of the hot sun. Jacksonville was warm too, but there was a breeze throughout the day that helped with the humidity. Daytona was without a breeze and the heat and humidity was intense. I stayed at the air-conditioned library to write for a few hours. At the end, I looked up local shelters and missions in the area. Normally, I like the adventure of discovering them or meeting street people who walk me to them, but googling is the quicker way. I have a love/hate relationship with the internet and only like to use a digital map for a last resort. The Holy Spirit is my favorite GPS and Siri substitute. But google was helpful today and it showed a Homeless Coalition Center nearby. We did a drive by, and my heartbeat quickened when I saw all the people hanging around the block.

I could write in-depth about the next 5 hours spent in this area, though will give more synopses than details. At first, the settling in the space was sketchy. The new blonde on the block was eyed up and down by those who called this place their home. The prostitutes snarled at me and the dealers and addicts were either tentative or intrigued. I sat down on the less crowded sidewalk of a side street and pulled out a rock to scribe. Several guys walked by offering various drugs to me or propositioning business deals that had nothing to do with palm branches. Others came by out of curiosity of what I was drawing. I handed out a few small rocks for the first two hours of adjusting to the dark atmosphere. One of the prostitutes who had glared at me earlier was given an “Perseverance” rock while saying, “I’m not here to tread on your territory”. Her demeanor changed immediately. I saw her later on in the afternoon and she flashed me the rock as she walked by with a smile and nod. This block and its activities brought back tidal waves of memories. These were places that I once hung out at to buy drugs, use drugs, and prostitute for the next bag of temporary numbness. As I sat against the chain linked fence, God allowed just enough emotions to be felt to stay present with past memories, but not drown in the emotions. He would allow more to surface later that night as well as even more now as I write.

Many rocks were scribed that afternoon by the Coalition. I saw new faces, became acquaintances with many, and had deeper conversations with only a few. One of those people was Bill. He looked like Gene Wilder but a foot taller and 100lbs heavier. He was a partaker in the area rather than a distributor. Bill loved sex, drugs, and rock n roll. He admitted that the lifestyle had taken a taxing toll on him over the years. His initial intentions of coming over to me was to buy me and get me high enough to stay with him through the night. When these things were declined, he asked if it would be okay if he just talked with me a bit. I nodded and proceeded to listen to Bill for the next hour. During this time, many guys came over or walked by pushing drugs and propositioning, and Bill would tell them that I was with him right now. I didn’t feel completely comfortable with Bill, but at the same time, I felt protected by him. I asked him what word he needed and he said, “Peace.” The large letters of this word were slowly drawn on a rock as Bill continued to talk a little about everything. He needed someone to listen to him more than he needed the affection of a drug-up female. When I handed him the finished rock, he smiled and said, “Ya know, I feel like I should pay you for merely listening to me, and then for this rock.” I declined the money because it was a free gift, but also because I didn’t want the other women around me to see Bill giving me money, further stirring their resentment of the new, intruding female.

At 4pm, the people on the block started walking towards the back of a building nearby. A church had come to serve food. Bill had ridden off on his bicycle and I put my heavy backpack on to round the corner. A long line had already formed as people were coming from all different side streets and alleys. There must have been a hundred people in the parking lot. I stood in line and waited for a plate of food: hot dog bun with pulled pork, macaroni and cheese, Doritos, and donuts. I was hungry and devoured the food next to a young guy and girl who were so high that they nodded out in between bites of food. On the other side of me came a guy that I watched drink vodka the two hours before the meal. He tripped over the curb when going to sit down and his plate went flying on the ground. “You alright there, buddy?” He looked at me, grunted, and then wobbly crouched down to pick up the food from the ground and put it back on the plate. His second attempt at sitting down was successful. I wanted to go around and talk to each of the people here, but finished my food and then just sat there with my knees tucked close and resting my chin on my folded arms. I prayed and prayed and prayed. Half of me was flowing with gratitude. The other half was flooded with grief. Sat there till all the people were fed, finished their food, and the church group packed up their serving tables. I walked over to a nearby dumpster of which its rank almost made me regurgitate the food in my stomach. One of the church volunteers was throwing away trash bags and he too had been taken aback by the odor. “Thanks for extending compassion and the love of Jesus today, sir.” --- “You’re welcome. It’s one of my favorite things to do each week. But dang, this dumpster could knock a person out.” I laughed slash coughed and said, “True speak.”


Bill wanted to hang out after we ate, but he had his back to me while talking with someone and I rounded two corners to leave the Coalition area. Tumbler was parked half a mile away and I took a different way back to him. The area was run down compared to the glamour of other Daytona pockets. Every city and town has both bright and dark areas. Daytona was no different. Tumbler crossed back over the bridge that connected the mainland to the intercostal strip. He was parked a block from the ocean and I walked to the beach. More rocks were scribed while I people watching on the busy beach area. It was such a different environment, scene, and atmosphere than where I had been for the last 5 hours. I sighed deeply several times throughout the remainder of the afternoon’s sunlight. There was a lot that needed to be processed. Today was not super busy, yet it was very intense. I needed to sit with what I was allowed to experience today as well as sit with the memories they evoked. Yet, I was not alone as I sat facing the ocean by myself… The Lover of my soul had His arms around me.


Most things of lasting value
Cannot be bought with money.

Unshakable Peace and Purpose
Cling to the Rock
Psalm 18:1-2







No comments: